Kent, WA

Martin Sortun Elementary School 4

Posted September 05, 2013
The principal, teachers and staff at this school are amazing. My sons are both on the Autism Spectrum, but are very high functioning, so it can be sometimes hard to meet them where they are at when they are ahead in some areas and behind in others. The teachers work SO hard for the kids and everyone at the school truly cares about the students. I am not a huge fan of the special ed teacher, but thankfully my kids are mainstreamed. Last year, my son got to join the Robotics team and go to an actual competition, and go to 5th grade camp for 3 days! It is an amazing school. We have considered moving, but are only considering houses in this school's boundaries. The thing is that very few open up because the demand for this school is so high!

Posted August 21, 2013
great school! Great teachers that help push you out of your comfort zone to succeed and meet your goals! Extra circular groups that also help keep you on your toes and focused! They also reward you for completing goals!! That will help mold you for middle school so that you're succeeding!!!

Posted April 23, 2013
My son goes to this school and he loves it. The teachers and administrative staff are highly capable and good at getting results. Before putting too much weight behind the previous 2 reviews take a second to review how their test scores compare to other schools in the Kent district. Then look at how they stack up against other schools in the state. The proof is in the pudding. Schools aren't solely responsible for churning out smart and compassionate kids. Parents/families have to take an active role in their students education.

Posted April 11, 2013
My so has been at Martin Sortun for 1 1/2 years, he is excelling fantastically! The teachers really take time to work with students and help them in whatever way they can. The break into small reading skill groups to work with children with similar abilities. My 1st grader surpassed his reading goal for the year by the half way mark! More than 3/4 of the students in his grade received awards for completing all 3 of their goals set at the beginning of the yer at an awards assembly in February. My Kroll, the principal, really makes learning fun for all the kids and the teachers that work there. And the biggest plus is that my son loves going to school every day.

Martin Sortun Elementary School 2

Posted May 02, 2012
Homeschooling is greatly being considered now and should have been considered at greater depth before.

Martin Sortun Elementary School 1

Posted February 22, 2011
I am in the same boat at the previous poster. They tell me all the time though that my daughter reads above grade level, but the teacher grades her at just performing? Also, everytime I ask why they don't do things like other schools do that are way more successful and could help the kids out all the teacher ever responds with is "I don't have time to do that!" Excuse me, but you decided to be a teacher, NOT ME! You don't want to go the extra mile to make these children successful? The priorities of the teachers at Martin Sortun are mixed up and they do not have the childrens best interest in mind. I don't know what is wrong with the morale in the Kent School District, but I know for sure I am getting my child out of that district before she no longer cares about learning like most of her classmates.

Martin Sortun Elementary School 2

Posted February 01, 2011
hello every one out there, my grandaughter goes to this school and has been there for 5yrs and the teachers are saying she still is not up to her level, well what is wrong with this picture, looks like the teachers are not on there job and do not know how do do there job, and the person over the school is not correction the prob, i am looking for a better school for my granddaughter because the mind is a terrible thing to waste

Posted November 02, 2010
Both of my children have attended Martin Sortun from Kindergarten on. The teachers take great interest in each child and help to develop and challenge them based on their personal progress. My son is now in 8th grade in honors classes. My daughter is in 5th grade in Martin Sortun and attends a 5th/6th split class to challenge her. We have stayed in our neighborhood specifically so our children could attend this elementary school.

Posted August 27, 2010
My 2 sons are enrolled in this school and are both special needs. I couldn't ask for a more attentive staff. The atmosphere of the school as a whole is upbeat and the family activities are incredible. I'm glad we're lucky enough to be at Martin Sortun!

Posted March 25, 2009

Martin Sortun Elementary School
12711 SE 248th St, Kent, WA  98030
Last modified Martin Sortun Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Martin Sortun Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top