Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Since my daughter has started at Martin Sortun she grown leaps and bounds! The teachers she has had have been so amazing and I'm so happy she is able to be there! Now we also have a daughter in Kindergarten and it's so wonderful to know she is learning so much! My oldest daughter came from a school with LOTS of bullying she didn't even want to go to school but we have not had any issues since moving to Martin Sortun!

My son's 1st. year, They claim No tolerance for bullying, he's being bullied and when he speaks up he's labeled a" snitch". There's LACK OF CONTROL! it's so ridiculous having breakfast at 9:15 am and lunch is at 11:20. There are so many low income kids whose parent's don't care about their child's hygiene and clean clothes (It looks like a 3rd world country). I'm worried about getting lice and bed bugs! Won't finish the year!!

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I can only comment on one 1, this is the first year here she's a good teacher

Develops character: Neutral

I'm unsure how the problem is going to be handled. I will change afterwards. Good day

The principal, teachers and staff at this school are amazing. My sons are both on the Autism Spectrum, but are very high functioning, so it can be sometimes hard to meet them where they are at when they are ahead in some areas and behind in others. The teachers work SO hard for the kids and everyone at the school truly cares about the students. I am not a huge fan of the special ed teacher, but thankfully my kids are mainstreamed. Last year, my son got to join the Robotics team and go to an actual competition, and go to 5th grade camp for 3 days! It is an amazing school. We have considered moving, but are only considering houses in this school's boundaries. The thing is that very few open up because the demand for this school is so high!

great school! Great teachers that help push you out of your comfort zone to succeed and meet your goals! Extra circular groups that also help keep you on your toes and focused! They also reward you for completing goals!! That will help mold you for middle school so that you're succeeding!!!

My son goes to this school and he loves it. The teachers and administrative staff are highly capable and good at getting results. Before putting too much weight behind the previous 2 reviews take a second to review how their test scores compare to other schools in the Kent district. Then look at how they stack up against other schools in the state. The proof is in the pudding. Schools aren't solely responsible for churning out smart and compassionate kids. Parents/families have to take an active role in their students education.

My so has been at Martin Sortun for 1 1/2 years, he is excelling fantastically! The teachers really take time to work with students and help them in whatever way they can. The break into small reading skill groups to work with children with similar abilities. My 1st grader surpassed his reading goal for the year by the half way mark! More than 3/4 of the students in his grade received awards for completing all 3 of their goals set at the beginning of the yer at an awards assembly in February. My Kroll, the principal, really makes learning fun for all the kids and the teachers that work there. And the biggest plus is that my son loves going to school every day.

Homeschooling is greatly being considered now and should have been considered at greater depth before.

I am in the same boat at the previous poster. They tell me all the time though that my daughter reads above grade level, but the teacher grades her at just performing? Also, everytime I ask why they don't do things like other schools do that are way more successful and could help the kids out all the teacher ever responds with is "I don't have time to do that!" Excuse me, but you decided to be a teacher, NOT ME! You don't want to go the extra mile to make these children successful? The priorities of the teachers at Martin Sortun are mixed up and they do not have the childrens best interest in mind. I don't know what is wrong with the morale in the Kent School District, but I know for sure I am getting my child out of that district before she no longer cares about learning like most of her classmates.

Last modified Martin Sortun Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.