5-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

If you are looking for a STEM math science education, this might not be the school. The emphasis is on the entire curriculum and that mean History, English, foreign language, etc. The students learn about their place in the world and how they can positively affect it. It has been wonderful for my son. He has thrived In the small classes, felt challenged and is well rounded. The environment is positive and the school stresses self advocacy which for some is a difficult skill but so necessary in life.

Overpriced. And lots of heavy marketing. They refuse to divulge SAT/ACT scores so that tells you something. In contrast, even the less stellar private schools in the area are honest enough to provide that information if you ask. EPS says they have a great STEM program, so ask how many of their students have qualified for the most prestigious national math competitions: the AIME and USAMO or state/national level MATHCOUNTS? You can go to the MATHCOUNTS and MAA site and check for yourself. Same thing with science competitions. Some of their claims are deceptive by omission. They tell you their students win math competitions, but don't tell you that they strategically only compete against schools in disadvantaged areas like Federal Way and rural state schools instead of going head-to-head with the top Bellevue, Issaquah, and LWSD students. I've been there, done that. And I know others who have done the same. Do you homework. If you never look closely, or make in-depth comparisons, you'll never see past the shiny brochures and venture capital-like boardroom speeches. And their admission process is a crapshoot. I know several kids who were accepted but who were total disasters, while they rejected well-balanced kids who won math and science competitions. A lot of it is how much they think the parents are going to contribute to the school. If you must get your child in, make sure you don't offer even constructive criticism, and be gushing in your praise and enthusiasm for the school. That matters more than anything.

Funny how I've written an honest detailed review of the several years I was a student at this school and that review has disappeared off this website both times. (I would not recommend this school it is a place where wealthy kids with serious behavioral issues are fluffed up with fake accomplishments as long as their parents keep giving money). There is a seriously messed up atmosphere at EPS. There was a boy in my brother's grade who was so out of control (and touching girls inappropriately against their will) that his parents had to hire a grown adult to go to school with him every day to try and control him. If you child is smart and decent do them a favor and keep them away from this school. Also don't take the majority of these reviews to heart as I'm sure they'll get this one removed the same as the others and the glowing 5-star ones will remain.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I don't find all teachers to be engaging nor effective in conveying passion for their subject..

Develops character: Neutral

Many kids have been handed opportunities from the parents due to their socio-economic class. Some kids have a hard time when they have to put forth a growth mind set. I've seen questionable integrity on students' and parents' part.

My daughter attended ESP from fifth until eight grade and then transferred out as we did not find the academics challenging. Be cautious of their marketing materials filled with fancy sounding educational jargon. Have your child attend another school if you wish for AP/Honors caliber material. There is a reason ESP does not publish SAT scores.... Many students who did not get into top or second tier schools are here along with quirky learners from public middle schools. We did not find the school worth the price tag.

I am a current freshman at eps and this is my first year. I have never had such an amazing experience at school, honestly I've always hated it but here, I'm excited to come and learn everyday. One thing I was worried about coming into eps was homework, but we get 2 free periods a day, and I have found that if you manage your time well, homework load is not a problem at all, and for the first time ever I feel appropriately challenged. I would have to say one of my favorite things about eps is the amazing community, but then agian everything is my favorite thing about eps. Everyone has been so welcoming, teachers and students alike. I have made lifelong friendships and priceless bonds with teachers that will open up opportunities for me to further my education, and I've only been here 6 months! The class sizes are perfect, no bigger than 18, and teachers really get to know you, even if you haven't had them as a teacher yet! One of my favorite things about eps is EBC week (education beyond the classroom). There are so many options for all students, you can choose anythig from looking at seattles public arts, to filmmaking at eps for a week, to Washington, D.C., Hawaii, Costa Rica, and Thailand and Cambodia! The whole school goes to different places for a week, and I think that is a priceless experience, that is unique from any other. At eps, teachers are here for you to answer questions, and to challenge you appropriately. I can safely say that in my 6 months as a student here, I have grown more mature, confident in myself and my abilities, and more interested in the world around me. I wish that everyone could experience eps, although that would alter the small community we have today. I know that last year, the concept of interacting with upperclassmen would have terrified me, but now I have some very close relationships with juniors and seniors who have shared electives and after school sports with me. I think that if you have the oppertunity to apply to eps, you should, because and chance like that would only come around once and it's somethig you really shouldn't want to pass up.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The best thing about this school is the caliber and caring that we've experienced from the teachers. It makes such a huge difference. Having amazing teachers is the number one reason we are at this school.

Amount of homework: Agree

There are times that it feels to much but, I think for an institution with an academic reputation like EPS does, it has been very reasonable thus far.

Develops character: Strongly agree

There is an advisory period that provides time to deliver this type of programing which they do.

Last modified Eastside Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades 5-12