Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: no rating

Teachers vary widely. One of my students was given challenge work by one teacher that would take more than an hour a night. The following year, homework would take about 3 minutes per night.

My children (one gifted and one special ed with behavioral needs) both attended here. The school did not serve either of my children well. If your child is middle of the road or perhaps a little low academically, I think that this school may do a decent job. In my opinion, they do not serve children well who do not fit their norm. My special ed student was constantly in the hallway, in the principal's office, or kicked out of class. They didn't listen to my feedback or any of the advice given to them by professionals about my child. They didn't want to work with our family or our special ed student. My special ed student's teacher was horrible and said some very inappropriate things about my child. When this was brought to the principal's attention, he backed the teacher and we were told to "let it go and move on". My gifted child was bored and was pulled from class a few hours a week for instruction by an IA or a volunteer parent. My gifted child was also persecuted for my special ed student's behavior and got in trouble for things that wouldn't have otherwise been an issue. The principal has his own agenda. If it isn't the same as yours, too bad. He says a lot of things, such as they want all students, no matter what level they come in at, to increase one grade level in reading each year, but doesn't back them up. Agrees to your face but then changes his mind later. We saw this with both our children. If you have a middle of the road child, then this school may work for you. If you have a student outside of the norm, then be wary.

10-Star School. My daughter attended one year here and it's the first school where she felt she fit in (her words not mine). John Muir is not a school but a family. From the excellent principal Mr. DeGallier to the phenomenal Mrs. Piluras and the drama coach and the teachers & parents who put together the talent show. I could go on and on. Everyone shows up at this school & gives 110%. My daughter attended a different school in a neighboring area last year that was highly rated, and wealthy, but attitudes make the difference. Here, my girl joined all the groups & teams (I'm exhausted), has friends of all races, and opened up emotionally. If you have the opportunity, please send your child here. You won't regret the decision. And to Mrs. Piluras, we love you for taking care of our daughter. You're a credit to your profession. Goodness, almost forgot, my daughter's grades went up one level.

I have an affinity toward John Muir Elementary school because it was the school I attended and I really loved my educators and principal. Putting aside my childhood experience and entering the school as a parent with specific expectations and unknown expectations, I am impressed with the teachers, community support and the principal. Our experienced Kindergarten teacher has mastered her teaching craft. She guides her 30 children through an entire learning experience by her consistency in keeping the children focused, organized, well mannered, creatively thinking, academically thinking, and playing. Although the class size is large, I am pleasantly surprised that para educators and family volunteers come in to help throughout the day and during specific learning periods. I have noticed many parents are enthusiastically involved with the school projects and fundraisers as well. The principal is present, pleasant and easy to talk with. I was more excited than my Kindergartner to start school and I'm glad I wasn't let down. It's important for me to feel comfortable and I feel right at home with the school.

This is my daughters 2nd year here. We moved here from Seattle where she attended a private catholic school. I have been very impressed by the dedication and support of the staff. My daughters grades here are better then they have ever been! Thanks to help of her wonderful teacher her confidence is amazing! I am so thankful that my daughter has had the opportunity to attend this is school. It is great!

The staff is very proavtive in helping kids in special needs emotionally and physically as well as neighborhoods that have special nee financially.

This school has a very caring and supportive staff. The parents are involved in the PTA and want to do whatever they can to support and enrich the lives of its students. Don't be alarmed by the test scores there are quite a bit of ESL students so the scores are skewed by that fact. Great school!

Great school. Friendly teachers,staff & students. Teachers & parents are very involved. Students learn to balance acadamic and life skills. Wish there is more extracurricular activities. Because of the diversity of the student body, students learn how to & adjust & value different cultures & believes.

Last modified John Muir Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.