Kirkland, WA

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted June 17, 2015
Three teachers this year have not made it a point to update web grader on a consistent basis. No replies to multiple emails regarding students progress. Very poor job.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 17, 2015
There is no discipline, period. Students will not show respect unless treated with respect. Very sad to see how no one seems to care.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted June 17, 2015
One answer. No. It's not just at Juanita. It's an issue at all levels of schools.

Juanita High School 2

Posted June 17, 2015
Poor communication. Teachers do not reply to emails. Counselor does not proactively care about the progress of a student's academic path. Favoritism is high. All about who's who. If you are not an involved parent, do not expect your student to excel. Bullying and drugs are a major issue. Little adherence to district policies.

Posted March 01, 2015
I advise students to find other options before coming to Juanita. Education wise, this school falls way behind Bellevue, Lake Washington, Inglemoor, etc. The teachers don't put in the effort to help or teach students, even in AP classes. There is a fair share of bullying, more so by teachers and guidance counselors. When a student is struggling, the counselors push the alternative Futures School on them, which basically means they are encouraging a student to throw their education/career down the drain, because if you do Futures, there is very little chance you will be successful or prepared for college. The administrations refuses to address all these problems. Try and transfer to another high school or do running start.
6 people found this helpful

Posted January 01, 2015
This school is old and outdated. Classrooms designed to hold half the size they should have. I'm Disabled and students have bullied me too the point I transferred. The staff handle students very poorly when it come to discipline. I would recommend you not to go to this school. Don't go through the pain of Juanita high school.
9 people found this helpful

Posted October 27, 2014
Why would anyone willingly send their kids to this school? It's dismal. The teachers don't know students' names most of the time, the counselors act like they are too busy to help a student in need let alone return even a simple phone call or email, and the administration apparently does not care about the wellbeing of the students. Yes, part of high school is parent involvement, but it is also on the teachers and staff to help students to the best of their ability. Every time I walk into the counseling office to seek information I get attitude from the people working there. They have also withheld crucial information from my children when asked for it and are the least bit interested to see how they can help them achieve their academic success. Whenever my student asks for help after school or before school (i have seen him do it multiple times via email) the teacher dismisses him. While I understand this is a public school, I don't expect such poor and unprofessional behavior from staff. I have seen students at this school who struggle, fall through the cracks. It's unfortunate because at one time I thought highly of Juanita and now I can't wait till my kids graduate.

Posted September 05, 2014
Been here since 10th grade. School has gotten progressively worse. Arrogant teachers, unhelpful and rude staff, etc. Try making an appointment with a counselor at least 4 times before getting any sort of help. Teachers act like knowing your name is something difficult and they should be praised for doing it. That should be a basic requirement for a high school teacher to know every student's name. Athletics are the priority for this school. Don't expect to be cared about unless you play a sport. For a neighborhood with so many low income families people tend to be cliquey and judgmental. Be a smart person and transfer to Ldub or private school.

Posted August 19, 2014
I moved here my junior year from another area on the Eastside and my parents and I regret it every single day. The only reason I am giving this school a star is because the students are friendly, kind, welcoming and warm. They were a joy. The teachers on the other hand were cruel and picked on students including myself for no reason. I would like to think I am a well behaved, thoughtful and attentive child, yet most of my teachers humiliated and embarrassed me numerous times throughout the year. I was actually disgusted at how students were treated by teachers at this school. In a majority of my classes I learned next to nothing. The teacher would put on a movie and text on their phone while the students dozed off. It was absolutely ludicrous and such a disappointment. The staff is no better either. I attempted to make multiple appointments with my counselor during the course of the year and most of my requests were somehow ignored. I only had one appointment fulfilled the whole year in which the counselor seemed to not be able to answer any of my questions. All in all, my experience at this school was awful. If you have the opportunity to send your child elsewhere do it.
9 people found this helpful

Juanita High School 5

Posted August 18, 2014
Truly a great school. I'm not sure where the bad reviews are coming from because I have never experienced anything like that at Juanita. Almost all of the staff, with only a few exceptions, are amazing people. They are willing to take the time that students need and do their absolute best to create the highest quality learning environment. Yes the building isn't in the best shape but I guarantee there are schools out there that are significantly worse. Plus the school has kind of a charm about it that I feel would be lost in a complete remodel. If you hate Juanita then you're doing it wrong. Go Rebels

10601 NE 132nd, Kirkland, WA  98034
Last modified Juanita High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Juanita High School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top