Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

The world is a diverse place, likewise, Juanita is a microcosm of the world students will enter upon leaving high school. Students are challenged with AP classes, the music, foreign language and math departments are excellent, and similar to college, self-driven and motivated students will thrive. while the building is in less than desirable shape, the new bond will address this issue. Don't discount a great local school based on a few disgruntled reviews.

Juanita High School is a great school. The experience of pretty much all high schools is dependent on what you make it. That said, bullying is non-existent with a diverse student body of many nationalities and income levels. We find that the staff is responsive to the needs of the students and the Principal's administration is responsive as well. It's a fun place to go to school. Academically, there are schools that are better and there are schools that are worse, but there are other ways to measure qualities of a school: Like the compassion students show each other, and the relaxed atmosphere that minimizes stress on the student. At Juanita HS, there is a lot of school spirit and students support students! We have found teachers and staff very approachable. There are teachers with degrees from MIT (2) and teachers with decades of experience! We feel it is a good school. Maybe it is good for students to be pushed and stressed-out to optimize their output so they can adapt to today's fast-paced society, BUT there are other ways to experience life and to make of it what you will. Juanita allows for student independence and a self-directed experience within the constraints of a bureaucratic school system.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Most are competently doing their job. There are some teachers that are awesome and some who do not connect well with the students.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Three teachers this year have not made it a point to update web grader on a consistent basis. No replies to multiple emails regarding students progress. Very poor job.

Poor communication. Teachers do not reply to emails. Counselor does not proactively care about the progress of a student's academic path. Favoritism is high. All about who's who. If you are not an involved parent, do not expect your student to excel. Bullying and drugs are a major issue. Little adherence to district policies.

I advise students to find other options before coming to Juanita. Education wise, this school falls way behind Bellevue, Lake Washington, Inglemoor, etc. The teachers don't put in the effort to help or teach students, even in AP classes. There is a fair share of bullying, more so by teachers and guidance counselors. When a student is struggling, the counselors push the alternative Futures School on them, which basically means they are encouraging a student to throw their education/career down the drain, because if you do Futures, there is very little chance you will be successful or prepared for college. The administrations refuses to address all these problems. Try and transfer to another high school or do running start.

This school is old and outdated. Classrooms designed to hold half the size they should have. I'm Disabled and students have bullied me too the point I transferred. The staff handle students very poorly when it come to discipline. I would recommend you not to go to this school. Don't go through the pain of Juanita high school.

Why would anyone willingly send their kids to this school? It's dismal. The teachers don't know students' names most of the time, the counselors act like they are too busy to help a student in need let alone return even a simple phone call or email, and the administration apparently does not care about the wellbeing of the students. Yes, part of high school is parent involvement, but it is also on the teachers and staff to help students to the best of their ability. Every time I walk into the counseling office to seek information I get attitude from the people working there. They have also withheld crucial information from my children when asked for it and are the least bit interested to see how they can help them achieve their academic success. Whenever my student asks for help after school or before school (i have seen him do it multiple times via email) the teacher dismisses him. While I understand this is a public school, I don't expect such poor and unprofessional behavior from staff. I have seen students at this school who struggle, fall through the cracks. It's unfortunate because at one time I thought highly of Juanita and now I can't wait till my kids graduate.

Been here since 10th grade. School has gotten progressively worse. Arrogant teachers, unhelpful and rude staff, etc. Try making an appointment with a counselor at least 4 times before getting any sort of help. Teachers act like knowing your name is something difficult and they should be praised for doing it. That should be a basic requirement for a high school teacher to know every student's name. Athletics are the priority for this school. Don't expect to be cared about unless you play a sport. For a neighborhood with so many low income families people tend to be cliquey and judgmental. Be a smart person and transfer to Ldub or private school.

I moved here my junior year from another area on the Eastside and my parents and I regret it every single day. The only reason I am giving this school a star is because the students are friendly, kind, welcoming and warm. They were a joy. The teachers on the other hand were cruel and picked on students including myself for no reason. I would like to think I am a well behaved, thoughtful and attentive child, yet most of my teachers humiliated and embarrassed me numerous times throughout the year. I was actually disgusted at how students were treated by teachers at this school. In a majority of my classes I learned next to nothing. The teacher would put on a movie and text on their phone while the students dozed off. It was absolutely ludicrous and such a disappointment. The staff is no better either. I attempted to make multiple appointments with my counselor during the course of the year and most of my requests were somehow ignored. I only had one appointment fulfilled the whole year in which the counselor seemed to not be able to answer any of my questions. All in all, my experience at this school was awful. If you have the opportunity to send your child elsewhere do it.

Last modified Juanita High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.