Kirkland Junior High School

Public | 7-9 | 543 students

Posted January 14, 2014

KMS has been a great school for my kids. I have had 3 kids go through and they have had a uniformly excellent experience, both academically and socially. I think that the principal is very good at both attracting high quality teachers and retaining them. The staff is very caring and committed to educating and supporting all of the children, whether they are at the high or low end of academic success. A lot of effort and thought is put into creating a safe, supportive environment. I have high academic expectations for my children and for the schools they attend, and I have been very satisfied with their experience at KMS/KJH.

Posted August 8, 2013

I would not recommend sending any child to this school, not only did my child suffer a major academic decline in the time there, my child was bullied at school, on the bus and even during extra curricular sporting events. The bullying was so intense my spouse and I witnessed it at an after school game and were in utter shock at the flagrancy of the kids. When I say bullying what I mean is constant verbal abuse, physical threats along with several students taking turns shoving students in a circle, physically being kicked out of seats on a bus along with several other things that are far too hurtful as a parent to go on about. After several attempts with the school counselor and vice-principal to address the situation head on, we were completely let down by the schools nonchalant attitude and lack of willingness to execute their "zero tolerance bullying policy". Not to mention the fact that every student signs the same code of conduct that comes in the handbook at the beginning of every year that clearly states students must not physically harm other students. I believe faculty mishandled this severely, actually creating more of a problem than before. Academics were weak at best.

Posted January 22, 2013

Both my kids went here as a junior high... it was great. While not every moment is perfect (remember, this is junior high!) the teachers and staff were magnificent. Very caring, always willing to help. The PTA was a quiet group but very supportive and really helped in the communication between school and home.

Posted November 26, 2012

We have had great success at the Middle School. Both my kids were in and are currently in the honors programs. I love the high expectations placed on the kids. It's a great, safe and enriched program... We looked at private schools around the area, and my kids were on pace, and sometimes ahead..

Posted December 14, 2010

1. Very unwelcoming to a new parent. Low parent/teacher interaction. SO much so, I'm pulling my child winter break. For Kirkland, It's an embarrassment. 2. SOFTBALL-If you want your child to play softball beware the coach plays his daughter most games (because she is good. but can you imagine how the children feel?!) and half the team benchsits. VERY disappointing.

Posted August 3, 2010

KJH is not for the academically advanced student. To make their advanced classes larger, they include many marginal students. This policy is nice for the marginal students; but, it slows the progress of the advanced students. I had both a boy and a girl attend KJH. Both were advanced. Both graduated with cumulative 4.0s. He was treated with respect and his achievements were cheered. She was berated and her achievements were denigrated. She is well-liked by her peers. But for many life-long friendships, we would have removed her from this school.

Posted September 16, 2009

Terrific school with wonderful staff who have helped to shape my son into the wonderful child that he is.

Posted February 20, 2009

all of these people are wrong, kirkland is good and its not hard to make friends at all.

Posted June 18, 2008

I was at Kirkland junior high for the full three years, and I absolutely loved it. Most of the teachers are nice, and care about if you understand what you're supposed to be learning. There is tons of school spirit there, and the teachers try to relate to teenage problems as much as they can. I really enjoyed my years there as a Panther.

Posted November 18, 2007

This school provides very much unneccesary drama ! Too much of it I think. I agree the girls are very judgemental and not easy to make friends with. You have to dress in top designer clothes for people to talk to you. Without the drama, it would be a good school.

Posted April 8, 2007

The school's teachers are rather incompetent, and my daughter rarely has homework. They raise you up from the start to assume you are going to LWHS after 9th grade, so if you plan on moving, you're in a bad situation. The student's are incredibly judgemental and it's ridiculously hard to make friends here (in my daughter's words, 'its as if they have nothing better to do than sit around and backbite all day. They never want to make friends with anyone they havent known since kindergarten. It's too much of a close-knit community.') . Same goes for the Kirkland community in general. Avoid this place.

Posted May 25, 2005

Good school with lots of activities and highly wired. Strong academics and a great staff that cares.

Posted May 24, 2005

I am a student at Kirkland Junior High. I dislike this school very much, teachers really do not seem to care whether you pass or fail. Every student for themselves. The students are judgemental and I've had enough of this school. Many of my friends feel the same way, and all of us cannot wait to get out of this school, like I will be at the begining of 9th. Since I want to be prepared for High School, I want to go to a good school, which would provide me with the proper education. Which I know Kirkland Jr High will not.

Posted February 14, 2004

My child's first half of the school year has exceeded my expectations. I could not have wished for better teachers or principal.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

Not low income93%
Special education47%
Not special education93%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 94% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2011.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2011.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 100% in 2011.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 97% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 99% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

All Students87%

Average years educational experience 11N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 63%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music