Kirkland, WA

Posted March 26, 2015
Toxic leadership and a drama infused population sum up this school quite well. It's been a very disappointing experience to have had our child here, and counting the days until we can leave. I've never seen the principal at any event held outside of school hours.

Posted March 13, 2015
I've had two children attend Thoreau and could not disagree more with the reviewers who called Mrs. Mallon cold. In the many years that I've interacted with her at school events, PTA meetings, volunteering in the classroom, and other activities, she has always been warm, engaged and enthusiastic about supporting her students. It is true that she is also very professional but that does not, in my opinion, translate to cold. Through the years and in various situations, I have found her to be an excellent principal. One of the best example of this is that she hires top-notch teachers who my kids have loved and blossomed under. Mrs. Mallon attends ALL school events, she never fails to greet me and my kids by name, she asks about my child that moved on to the middle school, and I feel that she really cares about our family. Having a daughter, I also really appreciate that we have a woman modeling being a strong leader at the school. Without reservation, I feel that Mrs. Mallon is a great principal and Thoreau continues to be a wonderful school and nurturing community for my family.

Posted March 06, 2015
I am so saddened by what I have read. With three children in the school, I am an active parent at the school and have spent many a day volunteering for this and that. I have only positive things to say about the school. The PTA is great with excellent communication. The faculty is amazing. The office staff is friendly and knowledgeable and I've seen Mrs. Mallon in almost every situation imaginable. She is fair, extremely on top of her job (which is HUGE), involved in the classrooms, exceptionally supportive of her staff and has made it very clear to me that ALL the children are her top priority. Someone mentioned that several teachers and staff left year, but they neglected to mention that the three that did leave were pregnant. Two of those women are regular subs. I am uncertain as to what the people with such negative remarks were hoping to accomplish. I feel it is a form of cyber-bullying with no positive outcome. I don't judge others for their opinion as I don't know their story, but I wonder if taking it up with her wouldn't be more productive. From a very, very happy family at Thoreau!!

Posted February 24, 2015
The teachers and staff are top notch, but the principle, Malinda Mallon, is very cold towards the students and parents, especially if your child has any kind of issues, be it learning disabilities or just can't sit still all the time. She is more of a bureaucrat than a principle. She is worried more about keeping the budget than the welfare and happiness of the students. She will never admit when she is wrong. If there is ever a conflict she will turn it back on the parent or blame a staff member. At the end of last year, a lot of great teachers and support staff left the school. The teachers and staff try to help any way they can, but can only do so much under the thumb of Principle Mallon. I have had a child move on to middle school from Thoreau and I feel that they were not as ready as their classmates from other elementary schools. They are happy to not be at Thoreau any longer. If someone tells you that Thoreau is a great school, it means that their child fits the mold of Mrs Mallon's perfect student and they never get in trouble.
5 people found this helpful

Posted February 24, 2015
Thoreau is a fantastic school! The PTA promotes a warm and welcoming environment with its many sponsored events for families as well as diverse enrichment opportunities after school. The teachers are kind, creative and show a genuine love for kids. The teachers we've had, (8 total so far amongst my kids) have been encouraging and supportive of my children's different learning styles. Most of all, my kids love them! For parents, there are many ways to get involved volunteering in the classroom, as well as at special events. Overall, it's been a very positive experience!

Posted January 10, 2015
Thoreau is a great School with great Staff, there is one thing they are lacking and that is a Principal, I agree with the Parent that wrote a review on October 8th, Mrs. Mallon is lacking everything there is to be good Principal, and yes Parents be careful because she will turn a conflict around and blame it on you or one of her staffs.. (this is the second post I wrote the first one did not get published, not sure why?)
7 people found this helpful

Posted January 06, 2015
HD Thoreau is a special school supported by an incredible community and staff. We recently moved and were able to stay on wih our friends at Thoreau, and what a priveledge it has been. The thought of leaving this gifted, warm environment is a bit unnerving. If every elementary school could have even a third of the talent and support portrayed at Thoreau our nation would be in a much better way. Thank you to Mrs. Mallon for fearlessly leading our children to heightened academic standards and social development.
2 people found this helpful

Henry David Thoreau Elementary School 2

Posted October 08, 2014
Finn Hill is a great community with wonderful parents & kids that deserve much more from Thoreau Elementary. The principal Mrs. Mallon cares more about being under budget than anything else. The parents don't feel that they are heard, so they choose to not get involved with the school. Bullying continues to happen and get pushed under the rug in hopes that the parents will forget. She is unfriendly and is really good at turning around a conflict into the parents problem. Not only does she enjoy having large classrooms (34 students), but doing what's best for the children is not a priority or concern. The parents won't make a stand & continue to bad mouth their experiences instead of making it heard. The truth hurts & a change needs to be made from the top. If you like negative reinforcement than this is the school for you. Take it from me, don't go there! Several families & facility are thankful they have left and I urge to do the same. It's sad because the staff & children deserve much more.
8 people found this helpful

Henry David Thoreau Elementary School 2

Posted March 06, 2014
My son just got transferred to a different school in the area and while I am glad he going to new school, I feel like he was very judged at Thoreau and given up on. I completely agree with what others said about the principle. She is ver cold to students and parents, esp kids who need extra help. She seems more like she should be working in politics instead of with young children. The special ed team is awesome! I really appreciated everything they did for my son but in the end I think they had no say and the principle just didn't like my son and my family. Sad.
7 people found this helpful

Henry David Thoreau Elementary School 3

Posted January 09, 2014
I agree with some of the previous posts. Mrs. Mallon, the school principal is very cold and unpleasant, which can set an unflattering tone for the feeling of the school. Although, most of the teachers and office staff seem extremely helpful, dedicated, and caring - which makes up for Mallon's inadequacies in this area, at least for the most part. The school curriculum seems basic and at least on par with most other schools in the area. And the attention focused on each child's personal needs seems satisfactory. If not for Mallon, I believe this school would be receiving higher ratings.
9 people found this helpful

Henry David Thoreau Elementary School
8224 NE 138th, Kirkland, WA  98034
Last modified Henry David Thoreau Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Henry David Thoreau Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top