Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

We hated this school. Kelli DeMonte and Tim Fries were absolutely horrible. It's my understand that Kelli has moved on to torment the chambers prairie kids. This school was awful. My daughter went here from 2nd grade through 5th, leaving in June 2015. At the end of her 5th grade year we decided to leave our home and move to an area that was more friendly, better teachers and didn't allow bullying on a regular basis. This school turned its cheeks to the bullying that happens, and it wasn't just my daughter, this is the norm at this school and widely accepted. Additionally my daughter struggled with math. It took me two full years and contacting the superintendent to get the ball rolling to have her placed in a class she needed to be in. Three teachers moved her right along to the next year without any cause for concern she was at best, at a first grade math level even in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade, my daughters teachers were awful, with the exception of Nick Soens. Fantastic teacher! She also had a special Ed math teacher, who has since left. Two teachers, Kathy Beach and Shara Olson were awful. Super rude and you could tell they did not enjoy their jobs. If you're a military family there are specially events fur just you, but if you are not a military family you're out of luck. My daughter constantly felt left out because we were non military.

This school has always had terrible administration and it shows in the quality of the staff. Every teacher we have had has been a bully or allowed students to be bullied by others with no concern or consequence. This isn't my own children I'm speaking about either. Volunteering really opened my eyes and made me sad. We pulled our kids out of this school because of the disfunction and lack of focus on the learning environment. I've learned that Tim Fries and Kelly DeMonte are no longer at the school so I hope the new administration will do better. But I have heard they aren't from neighbors.

Every teacher my kids have had has been wonderful! The staff is enthusiastic, caring, and very knowledgable. We've had nothing but great experiences. My only complaint is the classes seem a bit overcrowded and that there is a huge focus on teaching to the SBA tests, but that's not the school's fault.

This wis our first year at Horizons; the registration staff was very efficient and friendly. The school has a great curriculum and the staff and teachers are wonderful.

The staff is pretty good, but the school is very over crowded with very few options for expansion. The kids eat in their classrooms because they don't have the time to facilitate eating in the cafeteria. But, most of the teachers are fabulous.

This is our fourth year at Horizons. With the exception of one teacher and the parking lot situation, this has been a terrific school for us. My children are thriving in the learning environment and love their teachers. The homework is very reasonable. Communication between parents, teachers, office staff is great. The Principal is very involved. The school is not perfect, as I don't think any are. But I would highly recommend Horizons.

Th eparking issues sucks, but as for children being locked out it is like that at EVERY school in the district. Rain or shine. My child is in the special education program and the staff is wonderful. They are patient and kind and the office staff knows her by name (not in a bad way : )). The school is overcrowded, as are all in the district but they do well with the resources they have. Having another daughter in a different elementary in the district I can say when compared, Horizons tops others in the district hands down. I am glad that our home school did not have the needs my daughter required, she has blossomed at Horizons.

First of all, the overview says that the school has a teacher to student ratio averaging 18. NOT TRUE! It's more like 25-30. The school is overcrowded and the parking lot is horrible! There is no safety for the students who arrive at school early. They are asked to stay outside on the playground before school, no matter the weather. At this point there might be 2-3 teachers on the playground and the gate is unsecured around the school. My son was in first grade and was one of the only students reading on his own. He was asked to sit and read alone while the other students had their reading groups. I asked if there was something to get him more involved, and to help him grow as a reader. The decision was to take my son and three other students and let them go to the library to work on a "project". The end result of this was several pictures coming home of volcanos. I do not feel that my son was challenged at all. Since he didn't need help with reading skills, she simply let him become complacent and didn't help him grow and continue learning at all. I hope next year (if we stay at this school) this will change. My son doesn't go to school to make friends he goes to learn.

no parking, rude staff, poor education. overcrouded school, my child had too many substitute teachers and class was not well organized

Another school has been built in close proximity which has returned Horizons to a manageable size. It is now K-6 again. We are military and have been very pleased with the quality of teachers, administrators and employees of this school. They encourage parents to be regularly involved (which I normally only see in DOD schools). The music program is excellent- my 5th grader has band every day from a dedicated band teacher. Both of my boys read way above their grade level and have been encouraged by all their teachers with challenging work to meet their needs. They teach in a pod system - a family type system in which each grade is represented in the pod. I think Horizons has been a blessing for us. We considered DuPont, but their elementary buses 5-6th to Steilacoom. We definitely made the right decision for our family!

Last modified Horizons Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.