Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

The staff is awesome !! Very helpful with anything that may arise.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Lakes cares about certain students and families

Amount of homework: Neutral

Homework is needed for students to practice

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some teachers care more than others do.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There are Kindergarteners coming home with packets of homework. It's Kindergarten why so much homework?

We moved into this school district this year. My children previously loved going to school, were always upset by the end of the year, and then excited about the return of the school year. With this school they had a countdown for the end of the school year. They didn't want to go to school, it's a complete turn of behavior. While they are satisfied with their individual teachers I was not 100%. I found it frustrating that my youngest child's teacher was so against a child excelling in learning and stated that she didn't think we should push children, but instead keep them at their expected levels only. Just an overall feel that this is less school than the school we came from. The staff feels less friendly and inviting and it shows in my child's attitudes about school. Rather disappointed since Great Schools listed this as an 8 when we came and we came from a school that was a 2 rating and it by far exceeded this school. I'll never fully believe the Great Schools rating again. Just a warning to other parents.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

When my child was bullied continuously and reached out to teachers and staff and they did nothing. Then, he took it into his own hands and after 5 assaults he finally hit the child back and he got in trouble for it. This is just one example. We dealt with this all year with the same bully who, for some reason, was allowed to get away with whatever he wanted.

Both my son and daughter attended this school and it is still etched in their minds as the worst experience possible. My kids are very different from each other. My son excels academically and it comes easy to him and he is outgoing. Where my daughter is shy and tries really hard and gets good grades too. They both would come home crying regularly. They do not take bullying seriously and will punish a kid for finally sticking up for themselves. My son had always been well liked at his other schools but this one he had a very hard time. The teacher didn't help as she singled him out and even graded him very low on stuff e.g. reading, when I could clearly see his reading score was 6th grade level in the 3rd grade. When I asked her she just ignored me during the conference. He cried every morning before school not wanting to go and I ended up meeting with the teacher and principal weekly to keep on top of the happenings. I have never had to do this with any other school and am pretty laid back. But the experience my children had was completely terrible! My son still remembers his experience here and he is now in the 6th grade. It has affected him and he has worked hard to overcome his lack of confidence this school gave him. We moved after 2 years and thankfully my daughter only had to endure one year of it since she was a 6th grader when we started. I would not recommend this school to anyone! Some teachers may be great, but the experience we had w/ the ones my son had and the principal were the worst I could ever imagine!

My children attended Lakes for two years. Under different leadership, I would recommend the school to anyone. The outgoing principal was the worst leadership I've seen in a school in 30 years. The teachers are amazing--they're supportive to the children and are never out of line with the them. However, beware if you're coming in from another school system or out of state. The school system as a whole caters to state testing, there's barely any emphasis on science, and they really push being politically correct---so no one loses or wins anything or makes an "A" or a "B". The 1-4 grading system is 90% subjective and how the teacher "feels" the child did.

We couldn't ask for a better school for our children! We got a waiver to attend Lakes after hearing from friends how exceptional the teachers and staff are. I can't believe the difference! Our children have attended 2 other elementary schools in Lacey....there is no comparison! If you want your children to be in the best hands, with the most attentive and caring teachers, Lakes is the school for you!

Last modified Lakes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.