Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Again, this is inconsistent. In first grade, my child excelled and was eager to learn, making great strides in all areas. In second grade, my child seems to be struggling with math. This only seems to be acknowledged by way of the rare report card, and by then it is too late for me to know where the help is truly needed. I am often left to identify trending deficits by sifting through the mountains of worksheets sent home with red ink. Again, I am left explaining concepts in my old way of understanding them, which seems to be contravened by the Common Core curriculum, which I think would be embraced if it were better explained.

Amount of homework: no rating

Inconsistent. First grade was a barrage of homework, with which we had trouble keeping up. I feel like it was more work for me than my child, as each assignment required cutting, pasting and/or assembly, and math methods were novel and sometimes frustrating . It is hard to reiterate a way of doing something to a child when you have not received the same instruction yourself. Second grade, on the other hand, I think struck a good balance. There is an assignment per each subject, with nightly reading, which I think has done more to inspire learning than any other subject.

Develops character: Disagree

I feel that these qualities are only rewarded when they suit the needs of the staff and create a minimal disruption.

This school seems more interested in advertising through children and churning out good little soldiers than it is in inspiring and supporting growth. Despite claims of diversity and tolerance, my child has been bullied on the bases of both appearance and religion, with little to no intervention from staff. My child seems to be penalized for lack of attendance at after-school events, many of which are scheduled during religious observances. Their daily attendance policy is disproportionately punitive. Children who are at all tardy are made to sit out periods of recess, as though parental lateness were a behavioral problem with the child. Excessive absences are met with disdain and threats of juvenile court, though my child has a noted medical condition and is repeatedly subjected to viruses and fevers, likely due to other parents facing the same scare tactics. Academically, I cannot say that my child has thrived nor really suffered, but I am told regularly that my child does not feel there is adequate time alloted for completion of assignments, and despite understanding concepts and demonstrating knowledge at home, classroom confidence seems to be faltering, and our teacher offers more personal scrutiny than academic critique. The self-manager program is one that I really disagree with as well. My child is constantly reminded that she is of a different ilk than those receiving extra recess and special treats, and says that the children left out have been told they're not even to look at those being rewarded. My child was homeschooled, and thus is catching up when it comes to their protocols, so it's understandable that Self-Manager is an as-yet elusive goal, but at the same time, we have seen several notes sent home about instances where my child went above and beyond to be helpful and courteous to others. While it seems this kindness is recognized and encouraged by some, it is beaten out of my child by others who take tactics such as punishing staying behind to hold open a door because doing so meant "crossing over a teaching line" - whatever the intention of THAT statement. You cannot mold all children into the same organism, Woodland. The sooner you accept this, the better off our children will be. Try cultivating the good in little ones, even if it means recognizing qualities aside from those valued by the corporate world.

My husband and I cannot say enough great things about this school. We are a military family that moved here four years ago and the staff and students were very welcoming! The teachers and staff get higher than a five star rating from us. In the past four years our kids have excelled in reading, writing, and math and scored above average on state testing. The principal goes above and beyond to make the school a safe and fun place to learn. We would highly recommend this school to any family! We love Woodland!

My kids have been so happy at this school. They loved their teachers so much this year that one of my kids cried when school got out for summer. They do have a self manager program, but it is based on the child doing the best they can at being respectful, responsible, and safe, and it is completely attainable for every kid. They had well over 400 self managers this past school year. They also announced this past week that all of the test results that have come back so far have us above state averages and above most of the schools in the surrounding area. Love this school!

This school focuses on training the children to be corporate robots rathar than focusing on academics. The school pushes the children to obtain a "self manager" award. To obtain the award, children need to be PERFECT for a month. This can be challenging for a young child between grade 1,2,or3. Forgetting to raise your hand, speaking while walking, or a simple giggle at the wrong time can loose their chances for S.M. Children seem to focus more on obtaining the award than concentrating on their academics. The reason for this is because S.M. students get perks. Such as parties, root beer floats, games. While other students, who are just as great, but made one mistake, are left on the side lines. Teachers are quick to notify you if your child has to have too many simple reminders (and I mean SIMPLE reminders), however they will not notify you if your child is struggling academically unless you seek out that information on your own by contacting the teacher. The school's "report card" stats for reading, math, writing, and science also seem to be one of the lowest compared to surrounding schools. That info can be found on the school web.

Fun and safe environment for my kids. Teachers are great and work together. The principal is very active and personable with the students.

The success of student programs outside of the classroom would be higher if more families and community members would get involved in volunteering and/or join PTA. I don't think there is enough of an emphasis on the fact that one does not have to be a PTA member to be a volunteer. We need volunteers - PTA or not. However, the few dollars collected for each adult membership pay for programs we offer our students and their families such as the Reflections art contest, the male involvement program Watch D.O.G.S., Bingo for Books for Dr.Seuss' birthday, Holiday Jitters, Family Fun Nights, and more. It is also instrumental in acquiring disaster relief supplies for each student. Join PTA or don't... but VOLUNTEER to help with the programs and activities. When the programs succeed so do the students!

We have had children at Woodland for three years and in almost all six grades. The teachers at Woodland are some of the most caring and involved I have seen while are children have been school-aged. The principal is focused on maintaining a healthy, fun, and safe working environment for our children. They have a postive behavior reinforcement program which encourages children to be "self-managers". I would recommend Woodland to anyone. Great job!

Last modified Woodland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.