Lacey, WA

Posted January 09, 2015
This school focuses on training the children to be corporate robots rathar than focusing on academics. The school pushes the children to obtain a "self manager" award. To obtain the award, children need to be PERFECT for a month. This can be challenging for a young child between grade 1,2,or3. Forgetting to raise your hand, speaking while walking, or a simple giggle at the wrong time can loose their chances for S.M. Children seem to focus more on obtaining the award than concentrating on their academics. The reason for this is because S.M. students get perks. Such as parties, root beer floats, games. While other students, who are just as great, but made one mistake, are left on the side lines. Teachers are quick to notify you if your child has to have too many simple reminders (and I mean SIMPLE reminders), however they will not notify you if your child is struggling academically unless you seek out that information on your own by contacting the teacher. The school's "report card" stats for reading, math, writing, and science also seem to be one of the lowest compared to surrounding schools. That info can be found on the school web.
3 people found this helpful

Woodland Elementary School 5

Posted September 01, 2013
Fun and safe environment for my kids. Teachers are great and work together. The principal is very active and personable with the students.

Woodland Elementary School 3

Posted September 26, 2012
The success of student programs outside of the classroom would be higher if more families and community members would get involved in volunteering and/or join PTA. I don't think there is enough of an emphasis on the fact that one does not have to be a PTA member to be a volunteer. We need volunteers - PTA or not. However, the few dollars collected for each adult membership pay for programs we offer our students and their families such as the Reflections art contest, the male involvement program Watch D.O.G.S., Bingo for Books for Dr.Seuss' birthday, Holiday Jitters, Family Fun Nights, and more. It is also instrumental in acquiring disaster relief supplies for each student. Join PTA or don't... but VOLUNTEER to help with the programs and activities. When the programs succeed so do the students!

Woodland Elementary School 5

Posted January 23, 2012
We have had children at Woodland for three years and in almost all six grades. The teachers at Woodland are some of the most caring and involved I have seen while are children have been school-aged. The principal is focused on maintaining a healthy, fun, and safe working environment for our children. They have a postive behavior reinforcement program which encourages children to be "self-managers". I would recommend Woodland to anyone. Great job!

Woodland Elementary School 4

Posted July 29, 2010
We've enjoyed our experience at Woodland. The full day kindergarten program is outstanding and the support for military families is impressive.

Woodland Elementary School 4

Posted April 28, 2010
Woodland Elementary is a welcoming place for all children. The student leaders take on roll of peer tutoring, showing new students around, leading assemblies, and helping with other school functions. My child has shown great growth with academics since we enrolled her in 2007 and we are glad we made the transfer! Thank you Woodland staff for doing a wonderful job!

Woodland Elementary School 0

Posted February 22, 2010
I like this school, I have had no problems with my children moving into this school. They love it and the teachers. They were all very welcoming to the kids and gave them a tour of the school, they felt special

Posted September 20, 2008
This school has not helped my child academically. In fact my child has regressed since going to this school and does not enjoy learning anymore. I am very disappointed in the impact this school has had on my child.

Posted April 13, 2006
This school has very poor academics. Most homework and school work is only focused on the state test.Extracurricular activites are of poor quality. Parental support is very good.

Woodland Elementary School
4630 Carpenter Rd SE, Lacey, WA  98503
Last modified Woodland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodland Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top