Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

It depends, just like any school. But some really do, and some totally don't. That's all.

Amount of homework: Disagree

One teacher who just retired, gave my 2nd grader weekly homework, while in 1st grade he had nightly homework, so 2nd grade felt like slacking to him. He felt like his teacher didn't even care. It puts to waste all the hard work the 1st grade teacher did.

This WAS a great school with the previous principal, but unfortunately since the new one in the last year, the change has been very severe. The change in culture has reverberated through the staff, students, families and community. Before, through my child's eyes, the children were caring, compassionate, would help eachother out when they got hurt. Now, they are mean, competitive, bullies and put eachother down (playing sports and in class). The teachers seem taxed by the new system and leery to even send their students to the principals office anymore because he's so backed up with issues. He is not a warm, caring principal whom all the kids adore, as I hear exists in many other schools and used to exist here. What's true is true, and it seems that we didn't realize how good we had it 'til it's gone. We are looking into another school and quickly. It's going downhill and this principal does not seem to get it. Too bad.

The teachers work directly with the parents. They work hard. I see cars in the parking lot every night. It is a public school, so if you have a problem with the curriculum or lack of STEM (like the 2 reviews that are from the same parent)...go to the state. It amazes me how parents complain like this is a private school with unlimited resources. Volunteer like I do and you will see how hard the teachers and staff work. There are close to 30 kids in my daughter's class. With one teacher. Got any complaints and you can bring that up with the state. I don't know one person who is capable of teaching that many kids besides these awesome educators.

This is an average small town school, simply put. It does feel safe and the teachers seem to know most every student, which is nice. But the technology is sorely lacking. STEM education does not exist here. The implementation of subject matter is mundane and not presented in a novel way. More project based learning would be great improvement. Worksheets and busy work are pushed quite a bit. It's also curious that teacher preference is given to students who have parents overly involved in their education. I've never seen a school where teachers and the office/support staff are allowed to be facebook friends with parents. Rave reviews were given but sadly we find this school to just be average with a great deal of nepotism sprinkled in.

Excellent staff, program offerings (including after-school opportunities), and a safe environment. We specifically live in the boundaries of Brookside Elementary to send our children here. Our kids actually look forward to going to school each day and we are impressed with how quickly our oldest learned to read and understand math...a direct result of the teachers she's had. There will always be some nay-sayers in the comments, but they'll be unhappy anywhere. If you're a normal, relatively involved parent who doesn't make excuses and gives a lower rating because of it...like not knowing where to park (which is very easy, by the way), complaining about snow on the ground, or complaining about students using paper (gasp!)...this is a great school to send your child to.

Came from a school which was instilling STEM education.. building robots, 3d printing, massive art & drama & music program & immensely technology driven, and VERY little paper use. Melding the old with the new is what is important and what kids need today. I am not entirely sure this school is doing this as my child comes home with tons of paperwork & dated materials. It's the beginning of the year, and I'm waiting to see how things evolve. So far, my child is adapting. Sadly, there are several little cliques. To be expected I suppose. The parents seem nice enough and you can tell there's tons of involvement from many parents. Front Admins: So far they are good, but there are some you can tell some have become stale. I've got great hopes for the new Principal. He has energy to tackle this school & it's issues and I'm hoping, with that, he can bring in some new ideas of how to achieve those goals, especially surrounding how to prepare our kids for their Core Curr. testing. As I said, it's early in the year, so only 3 stars given. I will check back in within a few months to let you know how it's going. Fingers-crossed it'll be 4 stars or more.

This school had saved my son who has ADHD. He had transferred from another school in shoreline wa and had not progressed as well as at Brookside. Teachers are caring and take the time with each child. They have a special program that all schools need to see and have in their schools. Not just them! The school system has failed my son till Brookside. Thank you Brookside keep up the good work with the special needs program!

I think Brookside is an excellent school. My Child has enjoyed every year with each teacher. The music and PE teachers are fantastic. All the teachers are deeply invested in educating the kids. The safety squad could use a little more supervision due to the student officers not always making the best decisions. I do agree that the kids whose parents can volunteer and are involved in the PTA appear to get special treatment, What can you do...that's life.

The students are engaged, motivated and happy. Teachers communicate well with the students and parents. Parent participation is very high in class rooms and activities.

Last modified Brookside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.