Lake Forest Park, WA

Posted December 08, 2014
Excellent staff, program offerings (including after-school opportunities), and a safe environment. We specifically live in the boundaries of Brookside Elementary to send our children here. Our kids actually look forward to going to school each day and we are impressed with how quickly our oldest learned to read and understand math...a direct result of the teachers she's had. There will always be some nay-sayers in the comments, but they'll be unhappy anywhere. If you're a normal, relatively involved parent who doesn't make excuses and gives a lower rating because of it...like not knowing where to park (which is very easy, by the way), complaining about snow on the ground, or complaining about students using paper (gasp!)...this is a great school to send your child to.
2 people found this helpful

Brookside Elementary School 3

Posted October 07, 2014
Came from a school which was instilling STEM education.. building robots, 3d printing, massive art & drama & music program & immensely technology driven, and VERY little paper use. Melding the old with the new is what is important and what kids need today. I am not entirely sure this school is doing this as my child comes home with tons of paperwork & dated materials. It's the beginning of the year, and I'm waiting to see how things evolve. So far, my child is adapting. Sadly, there are several little cliques. To be expected I suppose. The parents seem nice enough and you can tell there's tons of involvement from many parents. Front Admins: So far they are good, but there are some you can tell some have become stale. I've got great hopes for the new Principal. He has energy to tackle this school & it's issues and I'm hoping, with that, he can bring in some new ideas of how to achieve those goals, especially surrounding how to prepare our kids for their Core Curr. testing. As I said, it's early in the year, so only 3 stars given. I will check back in within a few months to let you know how it's going. Fingers-crossed it'll be 4 stars or more.

Posted June 22, 2014
This school had saved my son who has ADHD. He had transferred from another school in shoreline wa and had not progressed as well as at Brookside. Teachers are caring and take the time with each child. They have a special program that all schools need to see and have in their schools. Not just them! The school system has failed my son till Brookside. Thank you Brookside keep up the good work with the special needs program!

Posted July 21, 2013
I think Brookside is an excellent school. My Child has enjoyed every year with each teacher. The music and PE teachers are fantastic. All the teachers are deeply invested in educating the kids. The safety squad could use a little more supervision due to the student officers not always making the best decisions. I do agree that the kids whose parents can volunteer and are involved in the PTA appear to get special treatment, What can you do...that's life.

Posted June 04, 2013
The students are engaged, motivated and happy. Teachers communicate well with the students and parents. Parent participation is very high in class rooms and activities.

Brookside Elementary School 1

Posted May 28, 2013
Brookside has some good teachers, a stellar librarian and P.E teacher and a decent PTA community. The incompetent principal and school district are what muddy the waters. I'm not impressed

Brookside Elementary School 3

Posted April 30, 2013
Nice school, nice teachers. Minimal bullying, quite a bit of parent involvement (moms & dads, including those that work), the librarian & PE teacher are great. The negatives: 1. The bus drivers are aggressive & block the fire lane daily (safety hazard). 2. The parking lots/walkways are not cleared of ice/snow in the winter. This caused injuries to several students, plus a car accident in the drop-off lane. 3. There is a clear preference shown to parents who are part of the PTA. 4. Pick-up for kindergarten 1/2 day program is confusing. We were told to pick them up in front of the school where all of the "visitor" spots are. That is also where the buses & school admin park (in the "15 minute" spots). There are no parking spots left for parents to use. So we either have to arrive 20 minutes early & sit with the buses blocking us in or arrive late & park behind the buses in the fire lane or park down the street. Now they have signs up saying "no cars allowed when buses present". 5. Afternoon pick-up is crazy. Parents aren't allowed to turn directly into the pick-up lane - we have to drive down the dead-end road, turn around in a privately owned driveway of one of the school neighbors.

Posted March 27, 2013
My son was bullied at his old school and we moved to LFP to seek a better district and elementary school. Wow, are we glad we did. We love Brookside. My son's made several friends and bullying is not part of the culture at all. Brookside is such a wholesome school, it's the kind of place you send your kids to because you have a dream of them being innocent and learning and doing sweet fun educational things until they're ready for the more complex world. I love that they raise salmon from eggs and then release them into the wild, raise caterpillars into butterflies, etc., science is big there -- not to mention all of the music classes that are part of the curriculum. And the extracurricular offerings are out of this world. I mean, they offer Arabic class. I have two kids there and it's been an outstanding experience. My kids were ESL and a bit behind when they entered, but Brookside helped them get up to snuff in just a year.

Posted March 15, 2013
We've had three kids go through this school; one k-4, the other 3-4, and the third is finishing K. The teachers we've had have all been TOP NOTCH...can't imagine getting better folks, private or public. Mr. Rogers, the library, and Matt Alford, PE teacher, are also amazing. There is reasonable economic and racial diversity - I would guess it mirrors or is more diverse than the neighborhoods which draw to it. This is something we like and is one reason we're not at Evergreen or Kings. The older kids have now moved to Kellogg (middle school) and to the Hi-Cap district program at Brookside, but they both miss Brookside and visit their old teacher regularly when they're picking up baby brother at Kindergarten.

Posted July 21, 2010
This school is great! My son has autsim and ADHD....the teacher he has had in the past two years has been totally AWESOME! He used to come home from school totally depressed when in a different school, now he comes home energized and happy. I will miss this school when he moves to middle school.

Brookside Elementary School
17447 37th Ave N.E., Lake Forest Park, WA  98155
Last modified Brookside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brookside Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top