Bad
Good

Dower Elementary is a Kids at Hope school. We believe that all students are talented, smart, and capable of success. I'm sorry for those who have had negative experiences in the past. Our staff works hard to engage kids in meaningful learning in a respectful, responsible and safe learning enviornment. We invite families to join us in our family activities and in volunteer opportunities.

Great teachers, awful principal. My children were happy, and the teachers always made sure, that as parents we were involved. The buildings were fairly updated and facilities clean. I was not impressed with the principal. We called CPS on a separate set of parents because of some things they had done to my son, and I called the principal asking to discuss this with her. I called back several days later, and then a third time a few days after that. Not only did she not ONCE return my calls, when I asked her if she'd heard my messages, she brushed me off. I found out a while later that this parent had not only been a chaperone for 2 field trips, but had been allowed to get my son away from the other students and teachers. Fortunately nothing bad happened, but we changed schools IMMEDIATELY. Mrs Dawson doesn't take the child's safety seriously enough. She should be ashamed.

UNHELPFULL! Not only was the lady extremely rude but was extremely unhelpful in answering my questions. I called about enrolling my daughter into all day kindergarden and she acted like it was sooo hard to give me information to basic questions. If thats the kind of atmosphere my daughter will be around i want nothing to do with it.

My son went to Kindergarten here 2 years ago, and loved it. We never had a problem and my son got lots of attention because of the small classes. Very understanding to military sitiuations such as helping my son deal with deployments and missing school when daddy was on leave or coming home. No complaints once so ever! Oh and I also loved how they got parents involved with the classrooms, I also took a free parenting class which included free dinner and child care.

I was new to the area and thought this was the only school in our district. I would not suggest this school to anyone. Within the first few days, my son would come home crying and upset saying that he "wasn't learning anything" . So my husband decided to sit in class with him for 2 days to see what was being taught. Upon entering the class, my husband was approached by 2 little boys asking was he "packing a gun". On the 2nd day, the teacher was not able to have story time because she couldn't control the class. At that moment, my son was disenrolled & put into a different district. In a matter of two weeks, he was reading, writing better, and spelling.

I have a pre-k student that goes to Dower. and i have never had a problem with them. Mrs. Madori has always had the utmost respect not only for me as the mother but for my son and my other child that is not in school yet.

I may be alittle bias about my opinion about the school I work for but I have worked for many other schools and the staff here has an extreme sence of belonging which trickles down to the students. I did not feel that at the other places I've worked in the past.

I definetly agree with the parent that speaks to allowing the parents to be the authoritarian as necessary. It is true that the teachers at this school are ready to pounce at any given moment. I personally visit the school very frequently and reecognize that the teachers are VERY serious about their jobs. I say have fun and boost moral for both the teachers and students. The principal is great - she is genuine and energentic.

Both my 3rd grader and my 5th grader have had consistently excellent experience with teachers and activities at Dower Elementary. My third grader has had her motivation to learn boosted from her previous school where she was in 1st and 2nd grade, and she finds the learning experience fun with challenges she is motivated to handle ..which is a big change from her other Lakewood school. My 5th grader is very bright and he enjoys being around what appears to be a good population of other bright students in his class. The teacher has taken advantage of this bright class by having it take on lessons advanced for this grade. A number of other parents I have talked to are also gratified by their children's teachers at Dower Elementary. We are fortunate to have these teachers and excellent school.

Last modified Dower Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.