Hudtloff Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 238 students

Posted May 13, 2014

My sons in 6th grade here and we love it! The staff openly communicates with parents and students. Progress reports are emailed every two weeks so you can easily detect missing assignments and keep up on grades and progress. Teachers have websites with assignments for the week which is extremely helpful. They encourage academic excellence and encourage students to take pride in their work. My son is in the Accelerated Student Program, which has proved very challenging. For a kid who has never struggled in school, the homework load has been shockingly overwhelming which makes it hard to participate in sports. The homework is not necessarily hard, just time consuming - some of it seems like "busy work" rather than reinforcing a new concept. I would give 4 stars due to the homework load, but I hear most teachers are better about this. Great athletic coaches encourage good moral character and grades always come first. PTA and staff actively invite parent participation.

Posted March 27, 2014

If you have a kid in Special Education do not let them go to this school. One of the teachers had a picture of a questionable person on the wall and seemed interested in teaching football than educating very vulnerable kids who need help through no fault of their own. The assistants aren't very well trained either and follow the lead of the teacher.

Posted August 11, 2013

I love what this school offers for my child. She likes going to school and we both love the diversity of students. The teachers seem genuinely concerned with how my daughter is progressing. The school has a great vibe to it.

Posted March 30, 2013

I'm currently a student at this school, and I absolutely love it! The teachers and academics are amazing, our test scores have been improving every year. Core classes for all students include math, science, language arts, and social studies. The athletics are the best ever!. We have sports including tennis, soccer, fastpitch, baseball, football, basketball, track, cross-country, and many more! When it comes to lunch we have outstanding food options. These include a variety of pizza, customly made sub sandwiches, burgers, and salads. The first fifteen minutes of lunch are specifically for eating while the second fifteen may be used for eating, playing foosball, ping pong, basketball, tag, or for doing homework. We also have an ala carte where you may buy pretzels, pizza sticks, chips, or any other great snacks. We also have a student store and vending machines that offer similar products. Spirit days are one of the best features at our school. But, I would have to say the best are the dances. We have all different themes for dances and a spectacular dj. Some dances are immediately after school, and some are at night. We just got a new school and it's fantastic. Go Canes!!!

Posted March 19, 2012

Both daughters went here for couple years. Teachers are good and have caring attitude. Office personnel were always kind, never heard them talk negative, just very helpful. Now the fellowship that my daughters had there, different story there are many kids being brought in on buses from slum apts near this school..just problem kids that dont really want to be at school but to make other kids uncomfortable with their bullying..and stealing goes on there too. Don't send your kids to school here with anything expensive..even nice coat..it will be stolen. Took my girls out early just so they would not have to deal with all the negative vulgar mouth acting other kids there. Sad they dont have a better discipline program there to get the riff raff out. We now are doing online learning and is great but daughter does miss the nice teachers she had.

Posted May 25, 2011

Both of my boys attended Hudtloff this school year (2010-2011) and we found it to be an exceptional school, especially compared to the other middle schools we had the option to attend. Both my sons are in the Highly Capable program and they were not being challenged at their previous schools. Hudtloff HiCap program has excellent teachers and the staff at the school has always shown great interest in helping every student excel in their classes. Parent/teacher communication has been great in my experience. If my son is missing an assignment, I receive an email from his teacher that very day. They send home weekly progress reports, and any email or voicemail I have left for any staff at the school has always been promptly returned. The choice of after school activities is also really good compared to the other schools my children attended and we are thankful for that because they really enjoy sports, and my 6th grader has especially enjoyed being in MESA this year. Overall, I think Hudtloff is one of the best middle schools in the Lakewood area.

Posted January 31, 2011

Being a homeschool mom for years it was a challenge to find a 'good' school for my daughter. Hudtloff has staff and principal that are truly caring adults for the kids. It has been nothing but very good experience for my daughter. Very positive learning environment!

Posted May 5, 2010

Hudtloff is a great school! Teachers don't let you get away from any subject withoutmaking sure you understand it , the principal is very encouraging and most of the other staff is nice. We can get involved in after school clubs and sports and the ASB is awesome! 6th grade wouldn't have been better anywhere else!:)

Posted May 4, 2010

Its a great school they are great with the kids and theycare

Posted August 21, 2009

As a parent with a recently graduated 8th grade student I must say, we will miss Hudtloff. I was impressed by the creativity of the staff, dedication to seeing student achievement increase district wide and the communication by the teachers, administration and PTA to the parents. The new parent assist module online allowed us to easily access grades and see progress for our student each week. Middle school is a tough age for parents and probably for teachers too but the staff at Hudtloff worked hard to make it a great experience. Now, off to high school!

Posted January 9, 2009

Hudtloff Middle School is amazing. Most of the teachers are great. One of the great teachers are Mr.Krench. He is fun and teaches very well! It is a fairly safe school and I would recommend it to others. The AP class is saticfactory. Alhough, sometimes I feel the kids could be challenged a tad bit more. The student involvement is excallent. Especially their ASB. Also, their electives and learning strategies are all safe and fun. They have many after school activities and oppourtunities for students. Last year, a few select students were chosen from the school and they got to go see THE DALI LAMA. They also have the HEROs program to help with college and MASA. I believe this school is incredible, but not perfect. Though, I would say it is the best middle school in the district. Go Hudtloff Hurricanes!

Posted June 12, 2007

I went to Hudtloff Middle School and I must say I enjoyed my stay there. I have never learned and understood so many things from anywhere else and i've been to three different middle schools so far. A little after I transferred over to Hudtloff from Woodbrook I became one of the top students. Then, unfortunately, my family bought a house up in Lacey so I had to transfer schools once again. The school I transferred to was Komachin MS and everything they were teaching there I had already learned in Hudtloff, especially in math and science. Not only is the education great at Hudtloff but the staff members and students were all generally friendly. It would be extremely hard to not feel welcome there and I believe working in that kind of envronment really helps also. Well, I just thought I'd share how wonderful Hudtloff MS school is to somebody =]

Posted August 21, 2006

I dislike Hudtloff Middle School intensely. Teacher communication was useless, countless emails, voicemails unanswered. Bullying is very prevalent with no adult intervention or supervision.

Posted September 3, 2005

The teachers at Hudtloff Middle School are encouraging and try to help their student any way possible. Examples: The math teacher would show you or say variety of ways to solve the problem, and if the student clearly does not understand the teacher would not give up...I have seen this with another student (I learned by experience also)

Posted April 7, 2005

My child had some problems with some girls who tried to bully her everytime she was in the school ground. I went directly to the pincipal and shared my concerns with her (Ms. David.) She solved this problem by talking to those bullies and hopefully my child won't be having problems anymore with those kids. But I cannot wait for school to be over. Hudtloff has some excellent staff! Kudos!

Posted January 12, 2005

A great school. Teachers are great. Students are very willing. The extracurricular activities are very well organized and encouraged. The structure and the location of the school makes it better.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 27, 2004

I love Hudtloff Middle School our children can be involved, meet new friends and have experiences they'll never forget Hudtloff has done wonders for my children now they're in ASB I'm glad to have this school in my neighborhood Thank you Hudtloff my children appreciate you.

Posted May 23, 2004

Hudtloff is an awesome school, the teachers are great. This is my second year at Hudtloff and I have never been very strong in math, I actually was at a 5th grade level. Mrs. Snider worked with me and was consistant, I am now back at grade level in math and its kind of fun, kind of. I would recommend Hudtloff to any parent who is considering the school.

Posted March 11, 2004

I was a student at Hudtloff Middle school! I was ASB Vice President in 2002/2003! It was a great school. I loved the teachers! My favorite was Mr. Jordan, he gave a positive outlook on learning and made it extremly fun! I loved going to school everyday! Ms. White was a great Principal, she was very helpful with ASB and gave us alot of input on anything and everything. She was a very calm nice person I am so glad she was my principal for all 3 years I was there. After I left Hudtloff I went on to Clover Park High school but I could not stop thinking about how I missed Hudtloff and the kids who went there I wish I was still there now because it is very great place to go. I loved Hudtloff and its great environment espcailly since Ms. White made it a great place to go!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 22, 2004

I attended Hudtloff Middle School for 2.5 years. I was in all the extra curricular activities, played many many sports, was in the advanced placement program, getting all A's and B's, Getting 100 percent on almost all my tests, and was elected ASB secretary! Hudtloff was the best school that I have attended. Unfortunately, I moved out of the district, but my past experiance with the Clover Park school district was absolutely wonderful. I could not ask for anything more from a school. I would highly reccommend Hudtloff for your childs education.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

226 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

218 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

222 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

215 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students68%

Not low income85%
Not special education73%
Limited English29%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 94% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2011.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2011.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 100% in 2011.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 97% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 99% in 2013.

All Students99%

Average years educational experience 10N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 66%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7702 Phillips Rd