Mann Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 126 students

Posted July 26, 2013

Okay, so that post from March 29, 2013... I have no words for that. First of all, i'm pretty positive you are NOT a parent, due to your atrocious spelling and grammar. Also, none of what was said made much sense. I am a former student at Mann, I went there 6th-8th grade, and I know PLENTY of students who have turned out just fine. I am about to enter my sophomore year of high school at Lakes. I personally was not completely successful at Mann, but that's just me. The teachers there aren't terrible, most of the bad teachers left the school, and a couple of my favorite also left. While I was going to Mann, I desperately wanted to change schools. But then I came to my senses and decided to stay because it wouldn't matter if I left, i'd be just as unhappy at any other school. That's probably because I just hate school in general and want to be done already. I don't think there is anything wrong with the school at all. It all just depends on your personal standards and your attitude towards certain situations. ~ Former Student

Posted May 30, 2013

Mann Middle School. I was curios about this school because I went there in the 1960's. I am surprised at all the negative reviews. I went there in the 7th and the last part of the 8th grade (we moved away for awhile). The school was 7th thru 9th at that time. What happened to me is that the principle (Lang) and vice principle (Price) decided that I would not be allowed to attend 9th grade there, so what did they do. They kicked me up to Lakes High School to the 10th grade and I wasn't a good student. All my friends were back in the 9th grade when I started high school. What a weird thing to do to a kid. Won't ever forget it!

Posted March 29, 2013

this school is not a good school, when your kid gets in to truble they make sure they have everyone around here what they did they are mean they treat your kids like they are nothing, they don,t care what you have to say just as long as they look good, and they take there teachers and staff side over yours they are not goot to your kids most of the time, i don,t like this school i use to but now they suck, i am taken my son out , also the teachers yell at the kids, they need to learn eather be nice or go somewere else becouse the teachers sucks there,i use to go there a long time ago and it was not as bad as it is now, infact it is worse

Posted February 25, 2013

I don't know anything aboutthe school as yet, my grandaughter just enrolled there after moving to the area and I'd like to keep up with the school news.

Posted February 6, 2013

I am a military child, so I have been to many different schools across the nation. Mann Middle School is not one I would ever recommend. I attended Mann for three years, 6th-8th and am now almost a Junior in high school. A few reasons I would not recommend Mann is because; 1. Poor academics, it was not challenging enough for the majority of the student body. 2. Humiliating discipline; Teachers would yell at the students over small issues (homework, talking, tapping foot) 3. Staff morals.This was the scariest part of my middles school. There was one teacher in general who for two and a half whole years was inappropriate and had double meaning behind what he said to female students. It got to the point that the girls were complaining to the principal and other teachers but i recently found out that he was not fired for his actions even though every girl could tell you what he did. 4. Students, many of the kids who attended (about 70%) did Not want to be there, a few ways they acted out at school was; throwing chairs in the choir room, stink bombs in assemblies, petty pranks, FIGHTS, stealing!, there was a lot of harshness between cliques. 5. VERY CLIQUEY. - X student.

Posted October 28, 2012

I am very impressed with Mann Middle School. My daughter is in the 6th grade and in Advanced Studies classes. She loves going to school everyday and is excited to tell me about her day when she walks through the door when she gets home. I am pleased with the teachers and their desire to teach and have the students learn. I visited the school in mid summer to enroll my daughter, but it happened to be a day that no office staff was there. A gentleman who was in the office with his own teenage son, said I was more than welcome to look around the school or he could give me a tour. I took him up on that offer. He gave me and my children and tour of the school and a history lesson about the school and their efforts and accomplishments. He was so proud of this school. I did not find out until later that he was in fact the Principal himself. He went way above and beyond when he could have just told me to come back "next week". Our tour was about 45 mins long. He is definitely an asset to this school. I actually registered my daughter at Harrison Prep, and she will likely come up on the waitlist for the Spring Semester. We will be staying at Mann.

Posted June 25, 2012

I am a military spouse and educator and I highly recommend sending your child to Mann Middle School! Please do not just accept my positive review or the negative reviews found on this site; rather, take a tour of the school and meet the incredible staff and you will understand why I placed my son at Mann for 3 years vs Harrison Prep or a local private school! Don't be fooled by the old exterior as the inside is full of high energy, diversity, but most importantly, care and concern for all the children that this school serves. Every child and family member is treated with great dignity and expectations for academic achievement and good citizenship/behavior are key to this schools success! I know what "right" looks like and this school is "right" on target to helping each child-no matter the circumstance-succeed to their best ability! A special message to our military families-Mann's principal and staff have great understanding of our lifestyle and the dynamics/complexity with which deployments have affected our children!

Posted May 14, 2012

My Son has gone to Mann middle for the two years now. We chose Mann mainly because of it's wonderful Band Program. My son has also enjoyed the Highly Capable program. We have been overall pleased with his lot of teachers, and we really like Mr. Banner the principal. He is quite a presence in that school and really cares for those students.

Posted May 24, 2011

All of my friends went to Woodbrook, and we enjoyed the school had great teachers. all of my kids went to college and they learned alot from woodbrrok

Posted March 1, 2011

We miss Mann so much. I have never seen a principal so involved and ran a tight ship! The teachers are wonderful! I wish more parents got involved with the school though.

Posted October 24, 2010

The principal keeps you posted on daily and weekly events. He is really consistent and keeps the students on task. The teachers are their to help the students and able to assist them in their areas of weakness. Great job Mr. Banner and teachers and faculty at Mann Middle school!

Posted March 15, 2010

The teachers are good but some of them are just not to jolly and make it hard for me to understand everything they say when they don't listen to what I even say.

Posted January 4, 2009

very good school.i am glad to have my child here

Posted September 24, 2008

I Love this school. i can care less about what you stupid parents think. I was in the 7th grade last year, and i was challenged. This is a school for kids that like to be challenged. I had a hard time bringing up my grades but i did it. It is true that SOME teachers don't care but there are teachers that really care like Miss St. Clair. She is a great teacher. And Mr. Hornbeck. These are great teachers, they interact with the students. They LOVE to hang with the students and the students love to hang with them. Sure the disipline isn't all that good but that is the student's choice to get in trouble. The Principal and Vice Principal at this school now get a long great. I have to say this is the best school.

Posted September 6, 2008

mann middle school is a very help ful and a excellent place to learn and have fun

Posted November 8, 2007

This school is not a good school for special needs kids. It also does not have a gifted program, which I personally was dissapointed in. Mann may have a good variety of sports for kids but academics are not up to par. Teachers, a lot of the time, don't seem to really care and the sports-academic connection (good grades-playing time) isn't follwed through with. Overall, Mann may be the second best middle school in the district, but that isn't saying much.

Posted June 9, 2007

i love this school!!!!! im in sixth grade and i go there, it has an excellent afterschool activities and good teachers!!!!!!!!!!

Posted April 23, 2007

This school is the worst my child has every been to . He is constantly bullied and the discipline is not good. The teachers have no time for children with special needs, they seem to be constantly overlooked. The principal and the teachers do not seem to communicate well at all. Neither do they listen to parents and help with there concerns. I am moving my child out of this school.

Posted March 25, 2007

This is by far the worst school our child had to go to. Thank god she will be leaving soon. The staff is rude and nobody seems to care about the children.

Posted January 26, 2007

We recently moved here from another school district. I have to say I am frustrated with the poor quality of teachers at this school. The staff is rude, uncaring. Children are treated disrespectful. I have been to this school a number of times in reference to concerns with my child. I have been treated as if I am 'bothering them'. I can only imagine how each child must feel dealing with such adults on a day to day basis. Instead of making each child's education a wonderful experience they make the process so bad that children don't want to go to school. A child who usually had all A's and maybe a B every once in awhile, now receiving C's and D's. something is wrong. This is the most frustrating school I have every had to work with/against for my daughters' best educational interests.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students44%

Not low income70%
Special education39%
Not special education55%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 94% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2011.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2011.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 100% in 2011.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 97% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 99% in 2013.

All Students96%

Average years educational experience 16N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 77%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11509 Holden Rd SW