Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 07, 2015
The teaching methods are dated and lack creativity. It seems they use the same curriculum year after year.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 07, 2015
I have have picked my child up on countless occasions and had a teacher tell me "your child didn't want to do *insert activity here* today so they just went and did this other thing." When I discussed what the teacher tried to do with my child to encourage them to try the activity it turns out they didn't even try.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted June 07, 2015
The teachers yell at the children, and they use extrinsic motivations rather than intrinsic. They also use methods such as forcibly moving their bodies rather than talking.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted June 07, 2015
I feel the school attempts to tell the children about empathy, compassion and caring but actions of the adults in the school teach the children otherwise.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 07, 2015
I don't feel the school has integrity and fairness within its staff, and modeling is one of the best ways children learn.

Soundview School 2

Posted June 07, 2015
I was really excited to have my child in this school, from the tour and the visits we couldn't have been happier. Sadly we were disappointed. The teaching is below average. The way the teachers teach is ineffective and dated. They tout using positive discipline but yell regularly. The tuition is a lot and consistently on the rise and for the families lucky enough to be their on scholarship, well it feels like they should just sit back and be grateful for what they get. Our child is going to be attending public school next year, and is not educationally ready, and by the way the teachers teach, I doubt the rest of the class will be ready either. This school does not foster creativity, it attempts to mold it. If you want to spend a lot of money to send your child to a school where they bring home lots of cute projects for the refrigerator then maybe this is the school for you.

Soundview School 3

Posted May 27, 2015
I used to love this school. I was, and still am, amazed by the music and art programs. The teachers that I've had direct contact with are amazing but the academics are average. And unfortunately over the years it's gotten a bit lost with its heart. The financial aid program has suffered, so now there is a distinct feel of "haves" and "those lucky to hang out with the haves." Rather off-putting and sad. I think they could get their passion back but it will take work. I'm not willing to stick around to see if it does though.

Posted March 02, 2015
My son has been at Soundview School since Pre-School. He s always loved it, and now in 6th grade, he s thriving. The International Baccalaureate program is rigorous and stimulating. The Math teacher explores fascinating areas of mathematics, but also drills in the basics. The Humanities, Science, and Language teachers are also excellent, and it s clear that they love what they do, and also love the academic freedom that the Soundview environment encourages. I also hear stories from parents of graduates or transferred students, all attributing their children s success in other schools to the excellent preparation they received at Soundview. I strongly recommend that any family looking for a safe, rigorous, and enjoyable academic environment for their child should look into Soundview School.

Posted November 18, 2014
My experience at this school has been great. The caring environment is ideal for students who flourish in a medium size school (currently at about 130 students). The head of School has been great at implementing small institutional steps since he stepped into the role. The entire staff is open to feedback which I find way comforting!!! My kids are flourishing at this school - I like that "diversity" is a key part of their values and the mission statement.

Posted January 21, 2014
Our child has been enrolled at Soundview for four years, and LOVES going to school each day. Each year our experience with the school has been terrific. Since the change in administration 12 months ago, the school has become even better. It is evident that the teachers are all working together even more closely, with learning integrated across the curriculum. For example, when a 2nd grade class was doing a social studies unit on housing around the world, they also created a climate-specific dwelling in art, studied the geometry & engineering of an igloo in math, learn household vocabulary in Spanish, and learned a song about how everyone needs a home in music.. We are delighted that the person who was the interim head of school in 2013 has become the permanent head of school: he is fantastic, and he has the enthusiastic support of teachers and parents.. As a university professor, I can't imagine a better K-8 foundation for learning than what Soundview provides through its values-based International Baccalaureate program, excellent and rigorous approach to math and science, and the integration of visual and performing arts at every level of the curriculum.

6515 196th St SW, Lynnwood, WA  98036