Maple Valley, WA
Students enrolled: 1,018

Lake Wilderness Elementary School 2

Posted May 26, 2015
We transferred in from another state. My boys would cry when it was time to go to school. I have one with special needs and they would not accommodate an extended day schedule. We switched to Rock Creek Elementary and immediately we were given the extended day schedule for my son and they both love going to school. Their teachers are very nurturing and every one at Rock Creek seems to care which is a big switch from LWES. I would agree there are some good teachers making the best of a bad situation. The secretary must always be having a bad day as is extremely unpleasant. Finally the school is overcrowded and falling apart.

Lake Wilderness Elementary School 3

Posted May 04, 2015
2nd grade teacher Michele Lenander should not be teaching. She is terrible. I think the only way you would like her is if your child was a genius academically and a bully to the kids. My child struggles academically and is bullied by the other kids in her class. She defends these children and dismisses my concerns. She just sends me messages about the things my son needs to improve with academically. Lots of kids here are direct reflections of their upper class snotty parents. If you are not one of these parents, put your child into a different classroom. Overcrowded school, drop off traffic is horrendous.

Lake Wilderness Elementary School 1

Posted November 17, 2014
As a parent of a special needs child, I find this school to be difficult. My son needs extra help on assignments because he cannot learn clearly. The schools not willing to help and they are punishing him because they think he's just not paying attention. The school knows that he has autism and can't learn as fast as the rest of the kids, the school just doesn't care depends on me to make sure he's successful.

Lake Wilderness Elementary School 3

Posted September 04, 2014
I have two sons. One has gone through this school and the other is still attending. The school is a dump and needs to be rebuilt, NOT remodeled. The school is overcrowded and busting at the seams. The principal isn't running anything. There are some good teachers here that make the most of the situation. I just wonder how much better it could be, if they had a proper school and proper leadership.

Lake Wilderness Elementary School 1

Posted October 08, 2013
This school is awful. This report shows they have 983 kids they have 1100 They have 15 portables just to fit all of the kids. The admin is ridiculous there are hugeI issues with bullying that don't get addressed or get blamed on one person all the time. The teachers are not allowed to deal with any issues In their rooms so they send kids to a room called the solution room. Where there is a helper. No learning happens, kids just fall behind. I homeschooled my kids when they were supposed to go to here. After only 3 months of Nonsense. 1 principal can not properly deal with 1100 .I have met many people who feel the same. Last school year when my child was supposed to be in 5th grade there I asked for a transfer to shadowlake which is a few miles down the road but a great school. Mark Koch the head honcho in the district office refused the transfer all for BS reasons. Taking one kid from 1100 and putting them at a school with 950 wouldnt help? Weve lived in MV for 16 years BOO TSD you are falling apart. Now they want to pass a huge bond that will add $450 a year for 20 years on our property taxes to fix things they should have been working on all along.

Lake Wilderness Elementary School 5

Posted May 05, 2013
I absolutely loved LWES. I personally attended the school K-5th grade and don't regret anything. I knew that all my teachers cared and I still see them around the community and I know that they still care about my success. The administration was very involved and the programs before and after school were great. They addressed the problem of bullying very early in our education and I personally witnessed close to no situations of a fellow student being bullied, and those values were carried with us throughout the rest of our schooling. I had so many inspirational teachers who really taught me to love learning and try my best. The school librarian from when I was eight still remembers my name and never fails to say hello when we run into each other around town. While the school is very old and outdated they do not have the money to implement changes, many measures have been initiated into our local elections but have been continually turned down. I'll always be a Lake Wilderness Wild Cat.

Lake Wilderness Elementary School 2

Posted May 04, 2013
This school is falling apart. The policies in place are insane-- after school & every school event they force you to bring these stupid little cards with your name and your child's name on them before they release the students. Same math worksheets 2 years in a row. Serious theft problems in the school. Serious bullying issues. We've considered calling the police to intervene in the brutality my daughter faces because the school is so ineffectual. We're moving to escape this terrible school. We've lived in our home for 9 years. Horrible!

Lake Wilderness Elementary School 5

Posted September 24, 2011
Both my children are attending LWES and I am very happy with the school's curriculum and the learning environment. Even with such a large number of students, the school has managed to keep order and ensure the student's safety during drop off and pick up. My kids love their school and teachers and they actually wake up excited to go to school every morning. A big thank you to all the teachers and staff for your hard work and dedication.

Lake Wilderness Elementary School 4

Posted March 03, 2011
My son transferred here from an adjoining district, and what a difference it has been! He tested so far behind the other kids, but after getting so much one-on-one attention, he is up to speed and doing wonderfully! I love his teacher, I can tell how dedicated she is! The bus system has worked wonderfully, and I like that I can do so much online (pay his lunch tab, see what his class is doing, etc). The school has kept us involved and I am highly satisfied. The only things I worry about are the size of that place, the amount of students, and the age of the school building.

Lake Wilderness Elementary School 4

Posted April 02, 2010
We have three children at LWES and have been thrilled with the level of caring and concern shown to each of them. Transferring here, all three were immediately behind district standards. Teachers, the Dean of Students, the Principal, everyone has been involved to assist us and our kids with getting caught-up. LWES has over 1,000 children this year. I don't know how the teachers and staff manage it but our kids are treated as individuals, protected, made to feel special, always on the right bus (from day-one), and they love this school. I only left a star missing bc it is so big and there are obvious downsides to a school of this size from a parent's point of view i.e. forget having a seat any any school function, Celebration of Learning is a cramped and sweaty event, Book Fairs have lines like the DMV, etc.

Lake Wilderness Elementary School
24216 Witte Rd SE, Maple Valley, WA  98038
Last modified Lake Wilderness Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lake Wilderness Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top