Shoultes Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted January 4, 2012

This is my oldest Daughter's first year in school and I couldn't be happier all my fears were for nothing!. She loves Art and has the freedom to be artistic in her classroom and is encouraged to use her Imagination! She has told me many times how she will be an Artist when she grows up. I have also been to all of the schools after hours activities with my family and the PTSA does an outstanding job and I have become a volunteer for them and in her classroom when I can. It is super awesome to be able to be involved and I think it makes it all more fun for her as well! She has also received an award for Empathy and showing her compassion and care of the well being of others. This is something I think all public schools should be encouraging. I am so excited to see whats ahead for us next year as she enters 1st grade, I know it will be another awesome year at Shoultes.

Posted December 8, 2011

I know this school doesn't have the greatest ranking on this site, but I absolutely love it. All of my kids (3) have been going to this school for three years and the staff are wonderful. My youngest, to say the least, is a challenge. All of the staff (including the office staff) have been nothing but understanding and helpful. The guidance counselor, teacher, principle, and other teachers have done everything to help my son succeed in his education. If you don't want to deal the politics from the upper ranked schools then I would definitely recommend Shoultes to any caring parent. The staff really makes the school an awesome one!

Posted June 1, 2010

I wasn't able to get everything that I wanted said since this website only has 150 word max. :) My son & I nominated Carolyn Clark (1st grade) last yr for "Teacher of the Week" through Star 101.5 and she won! She is fantastic, offers a warm and loving environment for her students as well as a safe place to learn. Joanne Moffit, counselor, is also a great resource who's known as "the feelings teacher" -- she is available to the students during school to reason out difficulties your child may be having at school, at home or with their studies. When our cat died, I called her because my kids had such a hard time. She made a point of, when they came back to school, to meet with them and even had my son make a little keepsake about his cat.

Posted November 3, 2009

The teachers there seem to do their best..but the overall feeling I get there is unpleasant tension.They could work on customer service skills in the office and greet people when they come in.They should treat all equal with dignity and respect..but they don't.Never a problem with the teachers..It is the senior workers in the office and a few others who need to refresh their approach.

Posted September 17, 2009

Our experience so far at Shoultes has been very positive! My daughter just started full day kindergarten a week ago and she loves it. I love that she is so excited about it and that she seems to be catching on to everything going on. Her teacher is organized and has a clear way of communicating what is expected, which is no small feat as the class has 24 kids! Principal McFalls is fantastic too - she's very involved and I really like that she is out walking around talking to kids and parents before school and after. I was nervous about my daughter starting school, but not anymore, as I am very pleased with Shoultes.

Posted September 16, 2009

Our school is a community. We have a diverse make-up and it seems that we are all having fun. Many of our students and families are poverty level or below. We as a school help our families with school supplies, clothes, shoes and school lunches. It is nice place to work and I also have a student there in 5th grade and my oldest graduated there 3 years back.

Posted September 16, 2009

I love Shoultes because it has been my family for 25 years,the parents are family oriented and the teachers love the students. My children attended Shoultes from K - 5. Very friendly atmosphere, parents, staff, and students.

Posted May 9, 2009

I think shoultes elementry is not a well learning place for my daughter.I am very dissapointed about the food.I am paying to get good food for my child and am very upset they treat her like this.If it was my option dont put your kid in this school.Thank you for listening to my opinion.

Posted November 8, 2008

All 3 of my children attend Shoultes, this will be my sons 6th year there (5th grade). This year we were lucky to get a wonderful caring Principal! She is very approachable, has a postive attitude and is always smiling. If something is not right - she keeps going and going until it is. The math program is wonderful (everyday math). The teachers are excited to be there and teach. Great teachers!! The PE teacher goes beyond - she was meant for this job! The things she comes up with are age approipiate and exciting for the kids, my kids are always looking forward to PE day (and library day too). Thankful to be a shark!

Posted October 22, 2008

My daughter attends the 3rd grade at shoultes and has been going there since kindergarden i love this school i just hope this years principle stays! most teachers and staff have always been so very nice, the physical education there rocks, nutrional units and fitness for life program is so awsome and encourage kids to get moving. I have always felt welcome at shoultes popping in my daughters classroom has never been a problem :) Go Shoultes Sharks!!!!!!!!!

Posted August 27, 2008

Shoultes has a great environment for kids, in a neighborhood setting. My daughter and I moved up here from Mukilteo and the staff was much more resourceful and involved in my daughter's education and needs. She has completely blossomed.

Posted March 22, 2007

My child attended ECEAP at Shoultes Elementary and it was the most wonderful and satisfying experiences of my life. This is coming from a Grandmother raising grandchildren so I have probably seen the entire spectrum when it comes to schools. I know that the ECEAP program that is located at this school is the best! Peggy McKay

Posted February 27, 2007

I am not impressed with the principle. He does not seem to listen to parent concerns. The Vice-principle in more open to listening. The speech counselor and the regular counselor are both approachable and have the students interest at heart. There are wonderful teachers and there are some I wouldn't wish on anyone. The principle seems reluctant to work with a child who is special needs.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students53%

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 64%N/A66%

• Janelle McFalls

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

13525 51st Ave NE