Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 04, 2015
They are tuned out and typically gravitate to the best kids in the classroom and the worst behaved kids in the classroom. Anyone slightly in between gifted and troubled will not get adequate enough time to reach their potential. I have spent over 20 hours so far this year in my son's classroom as a volunteer reader and observe a consistent pattern of this occurring and even with feedback, has not improved.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
I don't think this school develops respect in its students. I think the kids that do have respectful characters are a result of the rare Medina parents that have instilled that and are likely looking to pull their kids from the school.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
I don't feel the teachers feel it is their job to provide any coaching or feedback on developing compassion within the kids, which I agree with them to a certain point. It comes down to the parents which I have found really are as uncommitted to it as I've ever seen any community. As such what manifests from that is this uncontrollable bullying, a lack of commitment to studying and addiction to electronic devices.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
Go observe the playground as a sample. In the classroom, teachers are tuned out and uncommitted to making a real impact, academically or characteristically. Comes down to which parents will spend the most to get the after school tutoring sessions at Russian School of Math, Kumon or god forbid Sylvan.

Medina Elementary School 3

Posted October 23, 2014
The bullying situation at this school is out of control. The principal, Beth Hamilton, refuses to deal with the situation. I am speaking on behalf of my child as well as on the behalf of other children and parents who are suffering through this. It is laughable that the school just held a "Unity Day" to combat bullying by wearing orange. The principal is very close to losing control of this school by refusing to lead and address this issue. Beth Hamilton - DO something. Stop "handling" us parents and DEAL with the problem!
5 people found this helpful

Posted August 18, 2014
If you are a super rich family who has never stepped out of Medina and neither have the desire to know that there is another city beyond that, then this is the school for you. As other reviewers have said, this school is run by PTA. Bullying is common and the front staff is rude. Principal has no interest in the well being of kids unless they belong to the PTA. Life is a race and in this school it starts way too early. This school did a lot of damage to my son emotionally but still I have to say that one of his teachers was fantastic and he still respect her a lot.
5 people found this helpful

Medina Elementary School 5

Posted June 03, 2014
I have two children attending Medina Elementary. One in the gifted program and one with ADHD requiring an IEP. In our years there, the teachers have continuously worked to address each of my kids' needs, always working to meet them on their level, firming their foundation. Not enough can be said about the dedication of Beth Hamilton, the tireless principal that seems to know the status of every student under roof at Medina Elementary. There is a group of elitist PTA mothers, past-, current- and almost Presidents that sadly seem to have too much time on their hands. We all wish they'd commit their considerable resources to being more of a solution than generating fictional problems, stop the complaining and the endless back-biting. Bullying? While we all agree on zero tolerance for such activity, parents with an over-developed sense of entitlement tend to raise entitled kids. There is a truly exceptional group of educators and administrators that put a tremendous amount of energy into making Medina Elementary live up to its stellar reputation. One significant improvement would be if someone would sod the playing field. Roll out some sod, save a knee! Go Tigers!

Posted June 02, 2014
I 100% agree with the parents who wrote about their child being bullied. The playground is a Lord of the Flies situation. Don't let the high test scores for you: large percentage of the children have tutors or attend Kumon. The school does not offer anything to stimulate and challenge higher achieving children. Likewise, not enough is done to help those kids who are struggling. If your child is middle-of-the-pack academically and is ready to fight on the playground, he or she may be ok here. The school does not instill the virtues that it often gives lip-service to. The strongest part of the school is the parent community.
7 people found this helpful

Posted February 09, 2014
I currently have a son in this school and is being bullied. The principal of this school doesn't care less as to whether a child is being bullied as she only runs the school on a business basis. If your pockets are deep enough and it ticks her boxes for the board, then she has no concern for you as a parent with real life issues. I can see this matter only escalating when it should of been nipped in the bud and costing us thousands of dollars to relocate to another school. I really regret putting my son in this school and yes it's full of bullies. Lucky you if your child has not been subject to it. There are so many better schools out there than this business run and political school.
4 people found this helpful

Medina Elementary School 4

Posted June 30, 2013
I was a student here (graduated from fifth grade) and have been here since third grade, when I entered the Enrichment program. This school is excellent! The cafeteria is always clean, the staff are kind, and there are plenty of extra curricular activities! I only have two problems; the children there aren't bullies, but snobs. Which, in a way, is quite annoying. We all know they're rich- no need to rub it in our faces, right? But this is only for some students. Many are fun and kind! Also, the front office staff are rude and snobby. I am an Indian, and they act as if I don't know a word of English. I am perfectly capable of speaking and understanding. Other than those two problems, this school is wonderful! I highly recommend this school to children!

301 151st Place NE (Temp Addr), Medina, WA  98039
Last modified Medina Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Medina Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top