Medina, WA
Before care: Yes

Medina Elementary School 3

Posted October 23, 2014
The bullying situation at this school is out of control. The principal, Beth Hamilton, refuses to deal with the situation. I am speaking on behalf of my child as well as on the behalf of other children and parents who are suffering through this. It is laughable that the school just held a "Unity Day" to combat bullying by wearing orange. The principal is very close to losing control of this school by refusing to lead and address this issue. Beth Hamilton - DO something. Stop "handling" us parents and DEAL with the problem!

Posted August 18, 2014
If you are a super rich family who has never stepped out of Medina and neither have the desire to know that there is another city beyond that, then this is the school for you. As other reviewers have said, this school is run by PTA. Bullying is common and the front staff is rude. Principal has no interest in the well being of kids unless they belong to the PTA. Life is a race and in this school it starts way too early. This school did a lot of damage to my son emotionally but still I have to say that one of his teachers was fantastic and he still respect her a lot.

Medina Elementary School 5

Posted June 03, 2014
I have two children attending Medina Elementary. One in the gifted program and one with ADHD requiring an IEP. In our years there, the teachers have continuously worked to address each of my kids' needs, always working to meet them on their level, firming their foundation. Not enough can be said about the dedication of Beth Hamilton, the tireless principal that seems to know the status of every student under roof at Medina Elementary. There is a group of elitist PTA mothers, past-, current- and almost Presidents that sadly seem to have too much time on their hands. We all wish they'd commit their considerable resources to being more of a solution than generating fictional problems, stop the complaining and the endless back-biting. Bullying? While we all agree on zero tolerance for such activity, parents with an over-developed sense of entitlement tend to raise entitled kids. There is a truly exceptional group of educators and administrators that put a tremendous amount of energy into making Medina Elementary live up to its stellar reputation. One significant improvement would be if someone would sod the playing field. Roll out some sod, save a knee! Go Tigers!

Posted June 02, 2014
I 100% agree with the parents who wrote about their child being bullied. The playground is a Lord of the Flies situation. Don't let the high test scores for you: large percentage of the children have tutors or attend Kumon. The school does not offer anything to stimulate and challenge higher achieving children. Likewise, not enough is done to help those kids who are struggling. If your child is middle-of-the-pack academically and is ready to fight on the playground, he or she may be ok here. The school does not instill the virtues that it often gives lip-service to. The strongest part of the school is the parent community.

Posted February 09, 2014
I currently have a son in this school and is being bullied. The principal of this school doesn't care less as to whether a child is being bullied as she only runs the school on a business basis. If your pockets are deep enough and it ticks her boxes for the board, then she has no concern for you as a parent with real life issues. I can see this matter only escalating when it should of been nipped in the bud and costing us thousands of dollars to relocate to another school. I really regret putting my son in this school and yes it's full of bullies. Lucky you if your child has not been subject to it. There are so many better schools out there than this business run and political school.

Medina Elementary School 4

Posted June 30, 2013
I was a student here (graduated from fifth grade) and have been here since third grade, when I entered the Enrichment program. This school is excellent! The cafeteria is always clean, the staff are kind, and there are plenty of extra curricular activities! I only have two problems; the children there aren't bullies, but snobs. Which, in a way, is quite annoying. We all know they're rich- no need to rub it in our faces, right? But this is only for some students. Many are fun and kind! Also, the front office staff are rude and snobby. I am an Indian, and they act as if I don't know a word of English. I am perfectly capable of speaking and understanding. Other than those two problems, this school is wonderful! I highly recommend this school to children!

Posted June 07, 2013
Do not be fooled by this schools funding with looks and technology. The school lacks tremendously in encouraging kids to have good character, compassion and respect for others. My child experienced a bully for 2 years in a row. Even though it was addressed to the teachers-there was never any change to the bully's behavior or consequences. It ultimately resulted in us moving our child to another school. Upon doing so, we learned of 3 other children leaving the same classroom for similar reasons. Upon comparing notes with the other parents that transferred out, I learned that the other children were also demonstrating signs of frustration, depression and overall lack of interest in returning to the classroom. After switching to another school (at another district) our child has enthusiasm, energy and love of school again. Very are very disappointed we wasted so much time at Medina.

Posted March 09, 2013
If you're a PTA mom, this is the place for you to shine and be special, not to mention get your kid out of any possible trouble. The school is run by the PTA, as another reviewer 4+ years ago said. It hasn't changed since. Ridiculously overcrowded and students are herded around like cattle. PE, recess and music are extremely poor. School is extremely cliquey, and from having kids all through the BSD, I can tell you these kids at the top of the social ranks at Medina (and presumably other feeder schools) are the same kids who will run the middle school and the same kids who run BHS later. If you're looking for an opportunity to give your kid a permanent "get out of jail free" card and you have deep pockets and spare time to be queen bee at the PTA, start up through the ranks at Medina.

Posted May 13, 2012
This is a terrible school. I found the school to be at least a year to a year and a half behind our previous elementary school in Northern California. It is BIG and full of bullies. The children are out of control. Really... an elementary school with almost 600 kids. It's a disaster. Recess is frightening. There are many other private school choices that are terrific. This school is void of any moral structure. The learning environment leaves something to be desired.

Medina Elementary School 3

Posted February 21, 2012
We have been in Medina Elementary for 3 years. Even though the test scores are high, the school is lacking many social aspects. I agree with the parent that wrote about competitive spirit and attitude. My child was always great socially and academically, but some things in here destroyed his self esteem and confidence. If you moved from another country or have language barrier you might feel disconnected and lonely. The office staff is not helpful. If you have a question or have to talk you might wait very long to get someone out of the computer or phone to answer to your question or concern. It s got stricter though with the new principle and hope it will help.

Medina Elementary School
301 151st Place NE (Temp Addr), Medina, WA  98039
Last modified Medina Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Medina Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top