Mercer Island, WA
Students enrolled: 1,453

Posted June 24, 2015
My daughter went straight through Mercer Island schools from K-12. It is a tough school district, but she rose to the occasion. She was constantly being challenged by her peers, as all of the kids come from high achieving backgrounds. I moved here specifically for the schools and I could not have made a better decision. She was leaps ahead of her 3 year older cousin in Seattle Public Schools. She would show her, a straight A student how to do her homework. She would say, "Oh we learned that last year...let me show you". Move ahead 8 years. She has her dream job. Makes more than me already. And she graduated from her chosen college with NO DEBT. She got an academic scholarship at 50 percent. She also got accepted into every college that she applied to. I am so proud of her. Please believe me the higher home prices on island were worth her not getting any college debt. Also, I might mention she graduated with only a 3.2, but with a super high SAT score and Mercer Island nationally known as a high performing school she had her pick of the all colleges she applied at.

Posted November 12, 2014
My kids went through this school and it is making some very good changes to make it even better. It has all the benefits and drawbacks of a upper-middle class school district.

Mercer Island High School 2

Posted August 30, 2014
My child has had major issues being confronted with drug and alcohol use on a daily basis while at MIHS. It is a very unhealthy culture of wealthy, spoiled, substance-abusing children. All the good teachers in a school cannot compensate for a hostile learning environment.

Mercer Island High School 3

Posted August 25, 2014
Mercer Island High School is what you make of it. In terms of education, our school excels in most subjects aside from math. The main problem I have with the education at my school is that the regular classes are very easy and the honors are very hard. There is no in between. You either have little homework or 7 hours a night. For the most part I have had very caring teachers who do their best to help me learn. The main problem I have with my school is some of the students that attend it. In terms of drugs, I would say Mercer Island is about the same as every other public high school, no worse or no better. It is very easy to avoid doing drugs if you are a student, but if you want to do drugs, it is very easy to get them. The thing I dislike is the cliques. A lot of the people at my school are very rude and condescending, and a lot of them lack empathy for others. Granted, you can find people who are not like that, but those who are make Mercer Island High School a very negative place. Attend Mercer Island at your own risk, our school looks good on college apps and we have great statistics, but at times it can be very bad.

Posted April 28, 2014
As an active parent in the PTA I see the hard work put in by the administration, staff and parents to provide quality educational, sports, and leadership opportunities and programs in a positive environment with a culture of success. Go Islanders!

Posted April 28, 2014
Amazing! Our staff does everything they can to ensure students are feeling welcome, included and are engaged in the classroom. The administration makes sure we have clubs and activities that support all different types of students and personalities.

Posted April 08, 2013
My school is amazing. Went to Issaquah High for two weeks and realized what a mistake it was and moved back to this district. Kids are much better dressed. Teachers are amazing... Don't know what's up with all the other people saying it is bad.

Mercer Island High School 1

Posted January 26, 2012
Mercer Island High School is not as good as the principal said; it is a lousy school and some of the math teachers don't know what they are doing.

Mercer Island High School 3

Posted January 25, 2012
Compassionate, dedicated teachers, and high standards, I'd like to give this school a higher rating. Unfortunately, there are over-crowded classrooms, incredibly spoiled kids and the place is riddled with drug-use/drug deals. The attitude of parents seems to be "If the kids are achieving in sports and academics I'll look the other way."

Posted December 17, 2011
Very good school with engaged students, parents and teachers. High achievement rates in and out of the classroom -- extracurricular are strong as are music, debate and athletic programs. Typical challenges for suburban high schools exist...but they are generally handled well. Always some areas for improvement (currently: some language areas, consistency among teachers, more reading/writing assignments in all levels of classes). There is a principal opening....the previous one left after 6+ years to get on the superintendent track in another district. Should be a great job for a leader who has a vision for the future -- is willing to make some important changes (see above) but most of all wants students to learn, love learning and be successful for their next step 9nearly 100% go to college).

Mercer Island High School
9100 SE 42nd, Mercer Island, WA  98040
Last modified Mercer Island High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mercer Island High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top