Mercer Island, WA
Students enrolled: 1,011
Before care: Yes

Posted November 24, 2014
This is my first year here (6th grade) and I really love it. i am excited to be with this school all through 8th grade. My teachers are amazing and they are so fun to talk to. Sometimes i think the principals can get a little grumpy, but doesn't everyone? I also think that about the front office. I really enjoy walking to all my different classrooms seeing different kids every time. I hope everyone who goes to this school thinks the same way. I never really see parents get involved as much as they did in elementary. But, there is a leadership called WEB and i think that really helps 6th graders. This school also has a very useful website called "Schoology" for you to see what is due the next day or week. In lunch sometimes they play movies or videos like the Lego Movie that we watched last week. This school can be very social when it wants to be like handing out cookies or cards to all the kids. I really like all the spirit days like pajamas, school spirit, a holiday, or for your group. Sometimes school can be very frustrating but i get back up and enjoy it again. This is a very important year and i hope all my teachers will help me get me through all of it. Good Luck! Enjoy! :))))

Islander Middle School 3

Posted July 01, 2014
IMS is the mixing bowl for the three feeder elementary schools. It's very a very social time for my son and the number of his friends has ballooned as the children cluster around their own activities, clubs and school sports. The 6th grade class is divided into 3 teams and the teachers are much less responsive to parents. The kids and teachers are increasingly dependent on the Schoology website. The number of "highly capable" kids also increases mysteriously as some parents will helicopter their kids "into E2" whether it's appropriate for their child or not (to me this sounds like a nightmare scenario for adolescents). For a parent, it can be an extreme change from K-5 and volunteering opportunities drop off considerably.

Posted October 31, 2013
Many of the teachers are very good, but what really sets this school apart is the Principals. Both of them are supportive and fair. As a new student, my kid had numerous issues in 6th grade. The principals offered guidance and fought for him every step of the way, encouraging his strengths and molding his weaknesses. He left 8th grade far better academically and socially than when he started, and both principals should be credited with a large responsibility for this. He felt they were truly interested in his concerns; I felt the same way. It's easy for me to entrust both my children to an institution with this team at the helm! Talk to them if you have concerns -- they are knowledgeable and helpful with everything from homework to friends and bullies to class placement.

Posted October 12, 2010
They care - they genuinely care - about each and every child - the teachers are amazing and the principles and support staff are too - It is truly a wonderful environment for children to go and learn in each and everyday

Posted April 24, 2010
The principal supports high standards for quality teaching that is sensitive the needs of the students. There are a number of superb teachers and programs. Very good Gifted program.

Posted April 06, 2010

Posted March 14, 2010
We are so pleased with the Principal and her support staff! An awesome and caring group of professionals!

Posted March 24, 2009

Islander Middle School 4

Posted March 23, 2009
New administration is excellent and always striving for improvement. Parent involvement is over the top and teachers are dedicated and communicative. Can be competitive environment on many levels--but much excellence to be found here.

Islander Middle School 3

Posted February 12, 2009
I like this school very much although some of the people can be kind of mean and intimidating. Most of the people are awesome though and i do have a lot of great friends. The teachers are very nice too, and they care about your grades. I do think that this chool has room for improvment.

Islander Middle School
8225 SE 72nd, Mercer Island, WA  98040
Last modified Islander Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Islander Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top