Mercer Island, WA

Posted August 22, 2013
Our son and daughter attend West Mercer Elementary School. We use Kelso's Choice at home to talk about situations reported in the world of adults. I appreciate the curriculum giving parents language and tools to tackle tough problems.

Posted July 18, 2013
Not sure why people rate the school down for days off and half days, most schools do this now days. I have two girls going through West Mercer and we have been very pleased with the quality of the teachers, the curriculum and the administrators. We make the effort to communicate with the teachers and they are always willing to take the time and communicate with us. We moved to Mercer Island because of the school system and have not been let down.

Posted October 28, 2012
Our grandson now has his sister's favorite teacher and he is finally really getting involved with learning! I think the school's great -- just wish they were a little more open to volunteers, as Montlake, in Seattle is. I've been there twice to bring cupcakes for Will's birthday, but would love to meet his teacher.

Posted May 05, 2012
The teachers are excellent. I've been pleased with the balance of academic rigor that also respects the pace of learning for each child. Even in 1st grade, there was quite a bit of homework and weekly spelling tests. From day 1, my child was taught to embrace Kelso's choices for conflict resolution. When he was bullied (1x), the teacher escalated the incident to the principal and the school counselor got involved. The issue was immediately resolved. Teachers are super responsive to any questions or issues when I reach out to them. They have an art docent program, music room, and small computer lab. Also, a certified King County Level 1 Green school. My child has benefitted from after school lego clubs and art clubs.

West Mercer Elementary School 1

Posted May 16, 2011
West Mercer is an average school at best. The principal is interested only in making sure that there are no ripples in the water. Bullying? Sweep it under the rug. Sub-optimal teachers? Ignore it! I would rate my child's experience at WME as mediocre at best. Parents run the show; they forced out two principals while my child was there for no other reason than "we didn't like them". Translated: they didn't bow to our every demand for our "perfect" children. I'll never understand parents who think they know what's "best" for every child.

West Mercer Elementary School 4

Posted April 15, 2010
Children all seem to like the teachers and the other students. Parents receive well-designed progress reports regularly. The PTA is active. It is a good size so that kids know one another ... which is important as they progress to the common middle and high schools.

Posted April 09, 2010
Our 2 children attend West Mercer and we couldn't be happier. Our son is in the 4th grade and our daughter is in 2nd grade. The curriculum, teachers, staff, facilities, parent involvement and extracurricular activities that West Mercer offers are top notch.

Posted August 22, 2009

West Mercer Elementary School 4

Posted October 29, 2007
We have had 3 children at this elementary after attending a large parochial school in the midwest. WM is an amazing community as well as fantastic academic preparation for middle school. The environment is positive, encouraging while holding kids responsible for their actions and choices. Teachers are simply remarkable in their dedication, interim principal has been a real source organization and unity and parents are literally tripping over each other in the halls to volunteer and participate!

Posted September 13, 2006
The best gifted program and the best teacher-Mr. Headlee. My son truly enjoys his studying in this class and he has learned a lot since he transferred here last year.

West Mercer Elementary School
4141 81st Ave SE, Mercer Island, WA  98040
Last modified West Mercer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Mercer Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top