Mercer Island, WA

Posted January 17, 2014
This school is wonderful! The teachers are outstanding and the principal is loving but strict. St. Monica School teaches more than just a rigorous academic curriculum, they teach the kids to have self confidence, compassion, and a positive self image. There is a reason this school has been teaching kids for over 50 years!

Posted December 09, 2013
Our son has attended St. Monica Parish School for 8 years now, and all I can say is, THIS SCHOOL IS A TRUE GEM! If you're looking for a school that offers top-tier educational programming (Science, Technology, Math, SS, Lit/LA), in a faith-based environment, with small class instruction, you'll find your treasure here!! Students come from all over the area (Mercer Island, Bellevue, Renton, Seattle, Issaquah, and Sammamish) to be part of this wonderful school community. We continue to be impressed with their commitment to excellence!

Posted November 22, 2013
We have been thrilled with St. Monica Parish School. The teachers are wonderful and the classes small. The school uses a rigorous STEM + the Arts based curriculum with full time Spanish, Science, Art, PE and Music teachers on staff. In addition to the regular teachers, St. Monica employs a Reading and Math Specialist to work with all levels of learners, from the children that may need an extra challenge, to those that need a little extra help to keep up. The parent involvement is outstanding. It seems that everyone is helping out in some way and happily. There is after school care available on regular and drop in basis. After school programs include robotics, Math Olympiads, global reading challenge, chess club, beginning and advanced band and CYO athletics. There is a real sense of community at St. Monica. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. I would highly recommend St. Monica! We were lucky to have Principal Wilson join us this year - She is an inspiring and caring leader that greets all the children by name. Our School population is about 50% Mercer Island families and the rest come from Seattle, Bellevue, Issaquah, Renton, Sammamish and Kirkland.

Posted June 03, 2013
St. Monica is a wonderful school and community. I have two children at this school. This was out first year. I couldn't have asked for more! My children were immediately accepted and thrived. They have many friends and feel confident. The teachers are dedicated and very caring. Each child has their own spelling test in each grade. All children are supported on their path. One size doesn't fit the mold! The curriculum is challenging and progressive. Our entire family has been embraced and the parents are extremely involved and the entire school community knows my children and cares for their well-being. Don't look elsewhere. You've found the school!

St. Monica School 2

Posted July 15, 2012
I am a former student of this school that cannot believe the high ratings many parents are giving. I found the staff to be inflexible and judgmental regarding anything that disagreed with the school's religion. I had many questions about the religious material they were teaching that went unanswered and I was punished and penalized for thinking critically. This is not a school to send your kids if you ever want them to develop skills in the actual SCIENTIFIC world. I still believe in God but I am glad my parents sent me to a non-catholic high school afterwards because this school has extreme bias towards the bible and against science. If you want your kid to read the bible without questioning anything, and have no individual understanding of their own faith, then this is a good school. Academics are average. But if you want your kid to develop critical thinking skills, go elsewhere, this school punishes that and I am two grade levels below my high school classmates in math and science because of St. Monica's bad program. LOOK ELSEWHERE.

Posted October 25, 2011
I ve found St. Monica s to be a great all-around school well run with strong teachers and a committed parent community. Teachers and staff are responsive to parent requests. They work hard to understand each individual child s strengths and needs, and tailor teaching accordingly. In addition to a solid curriculum the school emphasizes values such as treating one another with respect and helping those in need. There are excellent skill-building opportunities such as the science fair and public speaking during Mass. The school is part of the CYO sports league so there is plenty to choose from when it comes to sports. The campus is relatively new and modern a good library and well organized classrooms. We live in Bellevue the majority of the student body is from Mercer Island but there are a fair number of off-island families from Seattle, Sammamish, Newcastle, and more. We looked at several public and private schools before settling on St. Monica s and found they are all unique. We chose St. Monica s because of the professionalism there and strong academic commitment it has turned out to be a great choice for our kids.

Posted March 09, 2010
Wow this school is impressive, having been at Islander and seeing what they have here. Excellent teachers, plenty of homework and emphasis on writing and math, remarkable environment stressing morals and developing 'self', good speech team and CYO athletics. Parents very involved and kids well-behaved in and out of classroom, unlike other schools. Strong sense of community which empowers students to be their best.

Posted October 05, 2009
This school cares about each child, both academically and emotionally. My child says the classroom is full of conversation and discussion and that the teachers and students really get to know eachother. The students are encouraged to reach their full potential. The environment is warm and caring. All the teachers are excellent, but it should be mentioned that the sports teacher is great, the art teacher is amazing and drama productions are wonderful and the speech team is award-winning as well as fun for the kids. I am so impressed by the school and so happy to be part of this wonderful community.

Posted June 10, 2007
This school is amazing! The teachers and staff are outstanding. The school 'family' groups foster a unique relationship, crossing all grade levels. The curriculum challenges the kids to always strive to do their very best. Excellent parent involvement and a loving and supportive community.

St. Monica School 4

Posted June 16, 2006
Great school. The programs are strong as is the discipline.

St. Monica School