No rating

French American School of Puget Sound

Private | PK-8 | 395 students

We are most known for our rigorous bilingual program and diverse community.

Living in Mercer Island

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $741,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,460.

Posted June 2, 2014

We love FASPS. My daughter has been attending this school for three years starting in PK. The teaching staff has been excellent, knowledgeable, attentive, and caring. We have been so lucky and the quality of the teaching staff shows in our daughter who continues to thrive every year she is at FASPS. We are continually impressed with the personal attention our daughter receives as she gains an education at FASPS. We also love the community the school creates around the students and families. We feel that our whole family has been enriched by FASPS, not just our daughter. I wholeheartedly recommend this school to anyone, not just for the fantastic bi-lingual program but also for the quality and care put into everything the school does. The administration is thoughtful, the lessons are engaging and creative, and the teachers are world class. The student body and their families are so privileged to be a part of this school and community.

Posted April 11, 2014

Our 4 year old son is in the YPK class and has been at the school for almost a year. He loves to teach us all the new words he is learning and what I enjoy most is hearing him sing songs in French at home. The way the teachers and school work to help each child with their individual strengths is amazing. FASPS is a community where you leave your child everyday and know that they will learn in a caring environment.

Posted January 13, 2014

We have two children attending FASPS. We all love our new school. Its been amazing to see our kids learn a second language, so quickly. (exactly 1 year ago) They do a great job at merging the French and American curriculum.The teachers have been very attentive to my children's specific needs and personal potential goals. The school's staff is always helpful and the parent community is very welcoming. MERCI!

Posted December 21, 2013

I couldn't have asked for a better school for my shy 4 year old girl. On daily basis my daughter is challenged academically and intellectually. She is so proud to tell me nearly every day how many new things she has learned at school. This was impressive given the fact that she is a highly capable child. One of my concerns on starting new school (in a foreign language) was my daughter's shyness and her emotional development. In less than a month, my daughter had nearly a full class of best friends. I remain amazed at how well the school administration does in selecting families -I haven't met one family who has not felt like they fit in (especially those who've been here for at least a year). Everyone at the school is so accommodating and supportive, and I know I can count on this school providing the best education for my daughter that I can get here in Seattle. Despite the lengthy commute and exhausting days, it has all been worth it.

Posted August 15, 2013

We have been a part of the FASPS community for the last five years. Our oldest is entering the 3rd grade and our middle child is going into his pre-kindergarten this fall. We have been thoroughly impressed with the phenomenal curriculum and the exceptional caliber of the teaching staff. The head of school is engaging and professional. Patricia Blaise-Caves and Anne Derieux Directors of Admissions and Advancement are both remarkable in their dedication to the students, school and parent community. I highly recommend the school for those families looking for an academically strong, multi-lingual, cultural diverse, conscientious, and technically savvy education.

Posted July 11, 2013

My son has attended FASPS for the past two years and will be entering Kindergarten there in the fall. I was originally drawn to the school because of its bilingual French-English program from preschool through 8th grade and strong academic reputation. In our two years there, the quality of instruction has exceeded my expectations and my son is absolutely thriving. The teachers are warm and nurturing yet firm and rigorous. Though I have spoken French to him at home since he was born, I have seen a vast improvement in his French since he started at FASPS. The parent and school community is very diverse, engaged, and welcoming. We felt at home right away and have made great friendships over the past two years. I am impressed with the school's leadership and feel that it is very well run. I highly recommend this school to anyone interested in a multilingual education experience for their children.

Posted January 22, 2013

We have two children at this school and I can't say enough good things about our experience. The teachers and the administrators embody a great balance between creating structure and boundaries in a loving and attentive way that is unique for each child. Everyone faces challenges with the kids with a very positive, can-do attitude. Can't say enough good things about the head of the school and his vision to make it an even better place for our kids. We are non-French speaking family and have loved the way our kids are evolving bilingually.

Posted July 2, 2012

Both our children have been at the school for over years. The education is great not only because of the French program, but because they have a parallel English program, so our children were exposed to both cultures and both educational methods. And it is small enough that we know all the teachers, and all the staff and teachers know our kids by name. It is like a second family to our kids. The school has helped us financially the whole time, which has been an extraordinary boon for our family as we would never been able to afford this kind of education for our kids without their support. And we have never felt anything negative because of this. It is true that because of the help they provide to many different kinds of families, socio-economic backgrounds are very diverse, so that takes some adjustment, but I love that diversity as well.

Posted June 3, 2012

Now that we are living abroad, far from the FASPS, we realize how much we appreciate the qualities and values of this school. It offers a perfect balance between the demanding nature of French education and the humanistic focus of the American approach. Great job, keep up the good work !

Posted March 6, 2012

The children learn a lot but Be strong with the teachers! The school administration is full of money driven members. I hate to say this because the one that interviews you & your child is grate & comforts you but once you ask for financial aid some members do look down on you & even try to avoid you. They know who gets aid & who has money. It's so pretentious & am moving my child from this environment. We need our kids growing up with genuine people & teachers that show they care about the child and not the money. (Over all your child will learn. Just be STRONG!)

Posted December 14, 2011

Our daughter is in her 4th year at FASPS and we could not be happier. We are a non-french speaking family who started our daugher off in YPK. Rarely do I give a full-star review but our expeirence with the school justifys this. Our daughter is enthusiastic and happy about going to school and doing her home work. She is excelling in her french vocabulary as well as math and science in both languages. Additionally, the parent community is very welcoming and we have met so many great families we are happy call as our good friends now. Regarding extra-curricular activities; the options have expanded since we joined the school and for our daughter - the offerings are a good fit.

Posted September 16, 2011

We are non French speaking parents, but were looking for a bilingual educational experience for our children. This is our son's second year at FASPS, and we are extremely happy with the decision to enroll him in the school. He is doing very well in preschool with the help of kind and devoted teachers and staff. We can't wait for our daughter to begin next fall.

Posted June 20, 2010

We just completed our first year at FASPS with two children in preschool. We couldn't be happier with the fabulous, LOVING teachers, the energy of the parents, and the loving way the students are with one another. And what an interesting bunch of people...everyone has a different story. We love that we are friends with the parents outside of just having our kids in common. We were hesitant to spend the money because we do watch our budget closely, but this has been worth every single penny. We love FASPS so much that we are moving closer to the school since we are sure to stay a part of the community for years. And new principal this year is impressive...can't wait for a great era! Just a note to any French nationals out there....be sure to apply for the French govt subsidies...these can make FASPS very

Posted November 11, 2008

This school takes a proven approach and implements it. We have been involved in the school for 9 years and love that it is diverse in many ways: socially, ethnically, income-levels and opinions!! I read one review that stated they did not care about safety but I greatly disagree. My oldest has special health needs and the school will enforce sometimes unpopular rules to keep him safe. I agree that they do not bow to the few that think because they pay tuition they can rule the school. We are looking forward to having our oldest in middle school next year. I encourage you to learn more about the French curriculum, visit the school, and form your own opinion.

Posted November 10, 2008

This is the 8th year we have been at the school and we are very happy with the results and the way our children are turning out as people. Yes the curriculum is challenging, yes, the teachers can be rigid but all of this is mixed with teachers who really care about the children and about their learning. Class sizes are small so there is a lot of one on one. Now that my oldest is out of the school I can see how much more advanced he is compared to children in the public school. Over all a great school and great experience! One more thing, the community is very open and welcoming!

Posted October 24, 2008

Teachers and Administration do not bow to parents who think they know more about education than the professionals. Kids consistently test high and are engaged. Significant homework as the kids get older

Posted September 29, 2008

We have been very happy at this school for 5 years now. We have 2 children enrolled who are always enthusiastic and ready to go to class. The strength and leadership of the head of school has enhanced the physical facility (brand new 2nd story with dedicated science and arts classrooms) and launched the start of a middle school program. New administrators for different parts of the program are joining the school, and this will be very valuable. You should definitely visit and form your own opinion. For us it has been a very good experience.

Posted September 18, 2008

The school has some really terrific teachers. However, the head of school is just terrible. If they were to get organized and change the administration, it might be a place for parent to consider. I don't find the school cliquey (sp), actually the best part of the school are the parents. But with that said I must totally agree with the other parent they are more intested in the money than the safe care of the students.

Posted January 10, 2008

My daughter quickly learned french through the immersion. However, the teachers tended to be 'rigid' in their approach, not adapting their approach to the needs of the individual child. This school was not a fit for us.

Posted March 13, 2007

I have been very impressed with this program. The academics are some of the best in the state and I really enjoy the authentic diversity of the school community. Not too concerned about extra-curricular activities- it is pre-k-5 program. There is after-school care available on an as-needed basis. This is a great school!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 13% 7%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
German
Italian
Spanish
Farsi, Flemish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:30
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 8:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Eric Thuau
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Drama
Media arts
  • Computer animation

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Robotics club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • welcome and work with new families