No rating

The Privett Academy

Private | 6-12

Living in Mercer Island

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $741,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,460.

Posted Monday, August 25, 2014

I am a senior in high school. I have been going to Privett since I was in 7th grade. When I got there I was getting D's and F's in my classes and I did not know how to handle school. As I moved into high school my grades got progressively better. I also had very bad social anxiety when I arrived at Privett, which the teachers and staff helped me overcome. My Junior year I was able to take most of my classes at the High School and I got straight A's for all of my classes at both the high school and Privett. A lot of people make the joke that Privett is a "pay for an A" but I found my sophomore year Privett english class to be much more rigorous than the one I took my junior year. Not all of the classes are easy, but there is a lot more individualized attention to help the student learn the subject. I can honestly say I don't know where I would be without Privett teaching me how to study and learn. The area is very supportive and the teachers clearly care about their students.

Posted March 14, 2014

Privett saved our child through its staff of teachers and methodology consisting of one on one teaching and small class sizes (2-4 students). The teachers instilled confidence, self esteem, and security in our child. Our child began a full time academic program at Privett starting in middle school, and is progressively mainstreaming into MIHS. The shuttle service and proximity to MIHS allows flexibility to take both academic and elective courses at MIHS as desired. The Privett teachers/tutors and Principal are fully involved and vested in our child's success and well being.

Posted February 21, 2014

I want to like this place more than I do. It is convenient to MIHS and has a shuttle between classes for students who take some subjects at Privett. Privett has some excellent teachers/tutors and some poor ones. Although it offers an "alternative" educational option for full classes for students, it is probably best used for tutoring, with Math being a strong point. The principal/head is rarely on site and does not follow through on coordinating individualized student needs with teachers. She is not receptive, to say the least, when problems are brought up, making it hard to resolve anything. When our student was there, we had such problems and, in speaking with other parents, we learned others had similar experiences, with a number of students "dropping" Privett. There are better options on Mercer Island and elsewhere on the East Side.

Posted May 10, 2011

Terrific teachers! They get it and they teach it! We live in a very well educated community and the kids are reflective of that. The school district is highly rated, but it doesn't compare to what this private school can offer.

Asian 26% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 9%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9311 SE 36th St