My children and I loved this program for 8 years. This last year, we became VERY ill from the building. Since then we have learned of dangerous chemicals which have been released into the air students breathe, with administration knowing and choosing to keep that important info to themselves. Admin continues to deny responsibility for any illnesses, while over 100 people are suffering from exposure. As sick teachers and students leave the program, they are quietly replaced, without any warning of the sick building to new students or staff.
Sky Valley Education Center has some great teachers and the concept of parent involvement at this school should be a model for others schools across the country. Unfortunately, this school inherited an old dilapidated building in 2011. This school was built in 1967 and we moved into this building without it ever having any significant upgrades. The carpet was at least 30 years old! The building is contaminated with PCBs, asbestos, mold, radon, and lead. The air particulates and carbon monoxide levels tested at toxic levels. The Snohomish Health Department has had over 100 complaints of health issues believed to be related to poor indoor air quality. The Health Department has had to close rooms at this school because the PCB air test came out too toxic for occupancy. The current state of this school is unhealthy. Several teachers have left due to illness. The school is trying to remediated some of the issues but this building should just be torn down. There are drainage issues on this property that we have been told are unfixable. Many of environmental testing information is available publicly on board docs or on a website created by concerned parents. Please research before you expose you or your children to this toxic building.