Kamiak High School

Public | 9-12 | 2064 students

Posted May 26, 2013

Nice building, that's about it. Teachers are useless and classes are worthless. Better to home school than attend this wasteful institution of higher morons. Embarrassment to the area.

Posted December 20, 2012

when i had gone to this school the principals didnt care bout bullying. they only cared if they saw it happen. most of the time they wouldnt even give the bullier the punishment that was writen in the handbook and would only give them the lesser amount. some teachers would just give random detentions for no reason at all. most of the students that i had gone to school with were the rich snobby i am better then you type and all the less fortinate students were made to feel bad. i had seen tons of students given new cars by their own parents or that they were given a nice car and the student didnt do anything to get it just it was given to them. it just goes to show how many students dont care bout any of the less fortinate or even try to help them out. if you werent popular or werent in a clique then you were a hated outcast.

Posted July 15, 2012

So many choices and opportunities! One of the ONLY high school around to offer such a wide variety of AP courses including AP Physics C. Any given afternoon you will find clubs, sports, and activities meeting all over campus. This is a placewith a true sense of pride and buy in by students. It directly reflects the draw, which is middle to upper middle class neighborhoods. Students who enjoy subculture type groups may not feel they have a well defined niche here.

Posted April 28, 2012

think the last reviewer should take an English class to learn proper writing! My grandkids have had a terrific education at Kamiak High. A Grandma!!!

Posted April 26, 2012

This school really isnt worth going to. The teachers dont really help the students, we must "ask our peers" or its "a stupid question". They also pick favorites. Or maybe i just got all the bad teachers. Ive had three math teachers for the same classroom this year alone. 1,000 of us are supposed to fit into a cafeteria that is only supposed to hold 625 students. The price of the food is ridiculous, and i dont know how many times ive gone home with a stomach ache from the food. The people here are just as bad as the regulations. They're snobby, they dont accept people very well.

Posted February 16, 2012

As a student here in the Senior class, my experience at Kamiak has been mediocre. My peers have an inappropriate background and the academic program was not that challenging for me. I feel like some of the students tried their very best in school with honors, while some others procrastinated and did not care for their education.

Posted January 29, 2012

Amazing! Teachers are dedicated, children are good hardworking students. College is very important to children and staff! Love love this school, kids and the town of Mukilteo. Just cant say enough good about this school!

Posted October 1, 2009

The staff is very supportive, but what really makes this school stand out are the parent volunteers and the extremely strong community support that all Mukilteo schools enjoy.

Posted September 16, 2009

This is my sons first year at Kamiak, all his teachers are very encouraging amd helpful. The whole atmosphere at Kamiak is that of learning, and we are blessed that that is the high school that our son attends. The sports programs, and the the extra curricular activities are very good as well.

Posted May 27, 2009

We moved into this school district in order to afford our three children the best education available. We now have one son at U.W. who is an honor student; a daughter going into 11th grade who studies long hours to make honor roll but knows that in 2 years, she will be rewarded with a college scholarship. History honors class is overwhelming as far as homework, and more indepth than any college course I have ever taken as a Ph.D. But, Kamiak is a college prep school. Sure there are a lot of students, great teachers and counselors, very fair and accomodating principal who takes a higher road to achieve greatness for the students and teachers, activities galore, but most of all, an atmosphere that is challenging, rewarding, and teaches students that with hard work and effort, you can achieve your goals and be prepared for life after high school.

Posted January 7, 2009

Kamiak is an excellent school, but as a parent I have some concerns regarding test scheduled, some day they don t have any test and other day they have three that s not the right way. Students get exhausted and frustrated with the test score. the proper way to test days should be scheduled ahead for example every Monday will be science test, every Tuesday will be math, every Wednesday will be English, every Thursday will be Spanish and Friday will be other one. That will work great for them and the students will be more productive than stressed.

Posted December 30, 2008

Kamiak is an excellent school for people who are willing to challenge themselves. Having done just that, I can't say much about core classes, but all the Honors and AP teachers are very good. We always have many students with superb SAT scores, and equally satisfying AP scores. Our Fine Arts program is also used to placing quite well in competitions, as are our sports teams. Overall, I couldn't ask for a better high school. After all, with all the money coming in from Boeing, the campus is very large and very nice.

Posted October 9, 2008

We moved into the school district so that our kids could attend the quality schools in this area such as Kamiak, Harbour Pointe, and Columbia. We have not been dissappointed. The teachers and staff are dedicated and really work together. Opportunities are endless for any student with clubs and specialized classes in so many diverse areas. Standards are High and communication is outstanding.

Posted June 17, 2008

This school has a lot more opportunities than most, and students who look for and engage in them will feel better about their time spent here. The best classroom experiences at Kamiak come from those that the student applies him/herself to, so challenge yourself. The Honors/AP teachers are excellent.

Posted May 23, 2008

Our school is great! We have great teachers (Mrs. Adams, Mrs. Micheal, Mr. Kirkpatrick, and Mr. Davis to name a few.) We have great art programs and the majority of the students are good.

Posted March 8, 2008

Kamiak is a good school as far as challenging classes and a fair amount of good teachers. The enviroment is not the best and its very easy to get lost in the everyday crowd. The school is also over crowded and you cant even fit everyone into an assembly. I would recomend Kamiak if you have a high self esteem and your up to challenging classes.

Posted February 5, 2008

Perhaps it is not the most diverse school of all, due simply to it's location, but it is definately one of the top learning facilities in the area.

Posted October 15, 2007

I attended this school for four years and have to say the overall quality of the school was awful. Not only does Kamiak offer nothing in the way of diversity, it is rife with teachers who are both apathetic and unskilled. That's not to say there weren't a few gems - Ms. Boucher, Ms. Russell, Mr. Costello, Mr. Beckner, Mr. Steves to name a few - but for the most part the teachers were awful.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 13, 2007

Having spent four years at Kamiak and graduating in 2005, I can say that this is a school with a lot going for it. Unfortunately, this school's not without its problems. The most striking thing about Kamiak is the sheer number of people. The teaching staff is streched. However, the most important thing I took away from Kamiak was the sheer dedication of the teaching staff, not only to their respective subjects but to the students that they teach. I can credit three special teachers for my decision to become a teacher myself. One of the issues that kamiak faces is a lack of funding for their academic programs. At the same time, some of the sports teams get new uniforms every year. It seems to me that the district needs to stop focusing on winning football games and focus more on getting every student involved and learning to their fullest.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 17, 2006

Kamiak was a great school for my child to attend. She had great teachers that made a difference in her life. The sports departments are great. The Music department is excellent. My neice is now attending this school and has done great.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

253 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

204 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

375 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

206 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students71%

Low income69%
Not low income71%
Not special education70%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

512 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

490 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

488 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

489 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 15N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 63%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10801 Harbour Pointe Blvd