Newcastle, WA

Posted April 28, 2014
My kids are so happy to be at school everyday! The PTSA activities are both fun and educational.

Hazelwood Elementary School 1

Posted March 12, 2014
As a former teacher (not of this school) Don't be fooled by its new facade or its choice location. We attended Hazelwood for 2yrs and it was by far the worst school experience we have had to date. My son was in the special needs program with an IEP. This program does not have very high expectations for kids or offer any understanding or support which they need. This school and its administrative team are more concerned with protecting its own staff than the welfare or best interests of the students academic or emotional growth! If you want a positive, enriching learning environment then look else where! My son has been traumatized by this school and its staff. There are teachers there who should not be teaching, let alone left with children. We now attend another school in the district and are so much happier. This school is not deserving of an 8 out of 10. I also agree with a previous comment, front office staff are rude and not helpful, truly keeping with the standard for the rest of the school experience.

Hazelwood Elementary School 2

Posted January 28, 2014
The teachers are very nice but the school staff are horrible and rude. Therefore, I've moved my kid to different school. Their staff need to be more educated.

Posted October 21, 2013
I have a daughter that has been going since she started elementary school to hazelwood and she is now in third grade. Her teachers have all been excellent and we are so happy to have this wonderful public school that cares so much about the students. 2 of her teachers were former students in Renton schools and wanted to come back and give back education to their community they grew up in. I can't say enough excellent things about the school. We are also very excited for the new middle school next door.

Posted March 19, 2013
I have 2 kids at Hazelwood this year and one coming in the future. I have absolutely adored all of the teachers my oldest has had, and could not be happier with my son's kindergarten teacher. I think the curriculum is excellent and am thrilled at the success both kids have had so far. We're looking forward to many more years at Hazelwood!

Posted January 03, 2013
Hi people, this is my first day and I already love it. the teachers are very nice and helpful. The other kids are very nice to me. My first day was great even if I didn't know anything there.

Posted June 25, 2012
My two girls have gone to Hazelwood for a few years now (oldest completed 3rd grade, youngest completed 1st). They have had very engaged teachers, and have learned a lot in a short amount of time. The involvement of the PTSA is wonderful, and I really can't say enough positive things about the teaching staff.

Posted June 25, 2012
I've never had a better school than this one. Now I'm going to the gifted program at Kennydale

Hazelwood Elementary School 1

Posted November 21, 2011
Nothing amazing about this school. Teachers are there waiting for retirement. The vision posted on their web site is typical lip service, nothing else. Teaching is a typical case of following the lowest common denominator, i.e. the slowest and most disruptive kids get the most attention while all the other students are not making any progress.

Posted November 17, 2010
I have two daughters at Hazelwood, and we think that its a pretty great school. Both have great teachers this year- organized and energized! The PTSA is really fantastic, and adds a LOT to the school. They use their dues to great effect. The counselor gently helps kids who need extra support. My only concern is that I wish there was a few more adults on the playground to watch for bullying. I also wish that there was a Discovery program on site, instead of busing the "smart" kids down to Kennydale, which is not as nice of a school. Many parents seem to be driving their kids to Hazelwood, which causes traffic problems.

Hazelwood Elementary School
6928 116th Ave SE, Newcastle, WA  98056
Last modified Hazelwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hazelwood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top