North Bend, WA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 04, 2014
My child has been at Opstad since kindergarten and loves it. You really get a positive feel from this small town community school. The teachers and staff are quality members that are invested in the kids. The principal is new the last several years.

Posted September 04, 2013
The principal is terrible! Hard to get a hold of, not responsive and has the wrong principles about what is right for the students. Forget about trying to provide input about child placement. That has no bearing to teacher selection. The teachers have to rate your child and based on that, a special committee creates rosters, not one teacher is in this committee. This is not about placing your child in a class where he/she can succeed. It is all about creating a class that would fit each teacher based on their weaknesses. I gave it two stars as they have a lot of great teachers and the secretaries are amazing. Management is about arranging and telling. Leadership is about nurturing and enhancing. Tom Peters

Posted August 14, 2013
Great School! My oldest daughter just finished kindergarten and we had a great experience at Opstad! Her teacher was awesome with emailing and talking to us throughout the year to let us know how she was doing and how we could help her be ready for 1st grade! Love the new principle too!!

Edwin R Opstad Elementary School 4

Posted December 06, 2012
Curriculum feels rigorous compared to some other districts. Teachers are clearly committed to their students and aim to have students challenge themselves when applicable. Extracurricular offerings through PTA RISE program are EXCELLENT. Principal is new there this year and doesn't seem to interact with parents or students much...but teachers may feel completely differently...more important!

Posted June 01, 2011
Great staff, great programs. All of our children love this school, the classes and the activities.

Posted July 21, 2010
The PTA is super-agro ... You're either all in or all out. There is little standardization between same-grade classrooms. I have twins and one would come home each night with 5 - 10 correct and returns while the other would come home with nothing, even though both were reported to be struggling in the same subjects. When I attempted to ask one of the teachers to use a couple tools we use in the home with one of my children, she just blank stared at me .... zero response. Is that the type of teacher that is committed to her kids' academic success? This school is great if you're a super-adult-pleasing braniac kid. If you're not, you're left behind. Even though I work full time I am seriously considering homeschooling my kids.

Posted February 05, 2010

Edwin R Opstad Elementary School 0

Posted October 03, 2009
I love it for the small class sizes and the fact that there is only 1 fundraiser each year with the Walk-A-Thon. It's nice not to have to sell something, but instead promote a healthier alternative.

Posted March 26, 2009
This school is excellent. Any time I had a concern, the teachers would be emailing or calling me immediately to resolve it. Sometimes, the principal even called me directly when I had a question or concern. Excellent teachers and a very high quality education.

Posted February 20, 2009
Terrible bully problem. Ineffectual principal. Crowded classrooms. Teachers oblivious to learning disabilities.

Edwin R Opstad Elementary School
1345 Stillson Ave SE, North Bend, WA  98045
Last modified Edwin R Opstad Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edwin R Opstad Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top