Oak Harbor, WA
After care: No

Posted December 07, 2014
We just moved to the area recently and our daughter started kindergarten at OVE at the beginning of the school year. We could not be happier in our experience at the school thus far. I am a (former) teacher and have high expectations. Our daughter is truly excelling and her assessment scores far exceed the target goal each month. I am very involved in the school. I volunteer in the classroom when I can and we attend Family Nights regularly. I wholeheartedly believe that in order for your child to excel in academics, you must be involved and make it a priority. Education is a partnership. Parents and teachers working together will result in a positive school experience. I feel that we have found that here at Olympic View Elementary.

Olympic View Elementary School 4

Posted November 30, 2014
The staff, teachers and principal at Olympic View Elementary are friendly and hardworking. The school offers art, music, physical education, and library classes for all students for 1 hour each every week. There are special education services, Title 1 services, and classes for students with emotional/behavioral disorders and students who are severely autistic. Teachers care about the success of their students!

Posted November 24, 2014
Olympic View Elementary has a high percentage of military dependents from NAS Whidbey Island. Their high rate of mobility, often attending as many as three or four different elementary schools during these early school years, presents unique challenges not faced by schools in non-military communities. Olympic View has the advantage of a high number of staff members who are also connected to the military community (spouses, military kids themselves as youth, extended family members of active duty personnel, former military, etc.). Our staff personally knows the challenges of a military family lifestyle, making it easier for our military families to "connect" with school in a positive way.

Posted August 18, 2014
Olympic View welcomes families so well! The office goes out of it's way to make families feel at home. With all the Navy families coming and going it's great to be made to feel special. The teachers work closely with families and are really helpful too. Students love this school!

Posted August 18, 2014
am a parent and volunteer at OVE. Being one of the best schools my children have attended in my military career, I am impressed with the overall collaborative efforts of this school. The office staff are very professional yet welcoming. Each student and visitor is made to feel important. The principals that have been there over the years, teachers, and educational staff are knowledgeable and work selflessly to teach many children. There are several National Board Certified teachers and Professional teachers teaching at OVE. This is a school I would want my grandchildren to attend. I cannot say enough good things about OVE.

Olympic View Elementary School 2

Posted January 17, 2013
My daughter was in kindergarten for the first half of the school year at OVE before I transferred her to CHE. She came home exhausted and miserable everyday and had homework that would take her an hour to finish, in KINDERGARTEN. Kindergarten is supposed to be FUN! She said her teacher would yell at the class because they weren't sitting still and being quiet while she helped other kids learn to write one on one. There were approximately 35 kids in her class and a teachers aide only came in for an hour once a week. Her teacher even said at the orientation and parent-teacher conference that she was overwhelmed and needed parents to teach their kids how to hold a pencil, cut and paste, help with homework, etc. When I got a notice from the school stating my daughter needed extra help with reading I decided it was time to either transfer her to a different school or homeschool. I talked to friends who have kids at CHE and decided to give it try. So far it's a night and day difference. The school and class sizes are much smaller. The playground is bigger. Her teacher is very friendly and organized. My daughter actually comes home happy! The way kindergartners should be!

Posted March 01, 2012
This school is horrendous!!! I understand that schools are at a low point and that staffing is very difficult, but it hurts that these teachers are not truly enjoying teaching our children, not to mention the fact that they cannot control their tempers. My son went to this school for 2 years, while in the 2nd grade a teacher decided to put her hands on my son and scream in his face to sit down. When I spoke with the principal about the incident and that I was told by 3 separate students and a parent , her only response was "Are you really going to take the word of a child?" REALLY!!! Not to mention when I asked to press charges and have an investigation, "The school district does not have the time to look into false allegations!" Since then, he has been attending a different school and I can definitely see the joy in his eyes when it's time to go to school=)

Posted February 05, 2010
My son has special needs and he attended this school while we lived there. They were very accommodating to my sons needs, they followed his strict learning plan that was was placed in his 504. They always called me whenever there was a problem and we talked about it and ways to fix it. I never had a problem. They were great, so far the best out of all of the schools my children have been to. I wish I could say the same about the school he is currently attending here in California now but I can't even come close.

Posted September 03, 2009
We moved here in the middle of the school year. My son had been in preschool for a year, and kindergarten for half the year before we transferred from California. He was enrolled in OVE and placed in class with a teacher, who I was told, was quite good. I asked to volunteer in the classroom, and was told that they preferred parents volunteer in the library, lunchroom, office or on the playground- not in the classroom. As a parent who volunteered on a weekly basis in her child's class since he had started school, I was a bit taken back by this. Six weeks went by. I went into the class often to talk to the teacher about how he was adjusting and was always told that everything was going well. Then, I get called into a meeting with the principal and teacher. Apparently, even though my son was slightly ahead academically, he was 'a little rambunctious, and sometimes aggressive in class.' When I asked why his behavior wasn't brought to my attention earlier, I was told by the teacher that he didn't have time to talk to every parent every day about what their kids were doing wrong. I thought that was total bs, since I made it a point to approach him on an almost daily basis to ask about my son's progress. I was informed that since his birthday in in October, my son was only accepted to the school on a probationary status. I was not informed of this at the time of his enrollment. The teacher and principal requested that I withdraw him from school and send him back the next year to start all over again. It was a heartbreaking experience for both my son and myself. He cried every day for the next week, because he couldn't go to school. Then when it was finally time for him to go back- he didn't want to. His second try at OVE wasn't much better than the first. His teacher this time around was so disorganized and chaotic, I'm not sure how any of the kids learned anything. I volunteered in the class and was appalled at how out of control everything was. You can't give a group of five year olds three tasks to do, then just let them go and expect them to do it with no help. You'd think a teacher would know this. My son is now in third grade (although he should be in fourth), and it's a fight to get him to go to school or do homework. It kills me that this little boy- who LOVED school, who woke ME up every day, eager to get to school, now hates it. I believe this is a direct result of the experience at OVE, and the teacher's incompetence as an educator and unwillingness to work with parents to help their children. I feel like by not telling me the truth about my son having issues in class, he set my him up for failure because he didn't want to deal with his behavior, or me as a parent. I always got the feeling that the teachers at OVE didn't want to deal with parents. You drop your kids off in front of the classroom and an aid takes them in. You went to pick your kids up and an aid brought them out. The only time I was able to communicate with the teachers was when I went to them. OVE, to me, represents everything that is wrong with education in this country today, and I strongly recommend against sending a child to that school. Almost every parent I know with a child in OVE complains about the school. Several have requested that their child switch to OHE, and some have even put their children in private school, even though it is a huge financial burden.

Posted June 27, 2009

Olympic View Elementary School
380 NE Regatta Dr, Oak Harbor, WA  98277
Last modified Olympic View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Olympic View Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top