Olympia, WA
Students enrolled: 1,286

Capital High School 5

Posted March 04, 2014
The staff and students at Capital High School are wonderful and they are all well rounded and respectful. I disagree with many of the reviews that have been written about Capital. As a student, I think it is a wonderful environment for a student to learn, and the teachers are willing to work with you before and after school to improve your grades and help you understand the work.

Posted September 06, 2013
this school has no communication with parents or students they don't ever explain all your options to you. I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NEVER send my child to this school it was the most awful experience, leaving this school was the best decision my parents made.

Capital High School 4

Posted May 11, 2013
I've been very pleased with my daughter's experience at Capital. Not sure why so many negative reviews. We've been more than happy with the quality of instruction she has received, and the majority of her teachers have been excellent. The social environment has been very welcoming and the one episode she experienced with mild bullying was handled immediately and with zero tolerance. The relatively smaller size of the school helps assure that every student receives adequate attention from staff. My only negative is that I would prefer an AP program to IB.

Posted February 14, 2013
Do not let your child attend this school. 90% of the staff are horrible, especially the administrative staff! Those teachers that aren't horrible are to afraid to stand up to those who are. It's a no win situation. My son is disabled and the last straw was the day a special education teacher pinned my son to the ground in a hallway because he left the classroom without permission. Most of the staff are to busy trying to be arm chair shrinks and wardens to even consider education as their job!

Capital High School 2

Posted September 10, 2012
I believe too much money goes to the IB program and that they should go back to AP classes. Very few students take advantage of this program. More support should go to Running Start students who want to get ahead in their schooling. I believe they should get rid of the Athletic Director position and incorporate these duties to an administrator. Drop an administrator and add counselor specifically trained to deal with low achievors. Add more tutorial services in Math and Science. More computor programs such as Khan Academy. More capable department heads. More intramural after school sports.

Posted March 09, 2012
Please help! What can I do to ensure my children receive a good education from this school when the times comes to attend. They are in elementary now and I am petrified for them to attend CHS. I would gladly drive them to OHS but I heard it is nearly impossible to obtain a transfer. Private school is too expensive, but if I start saving now I may have enough saved in 8 years for the both of them to attend. Does anyone have some ideas?

Posted August 16, 2011
The Olympia School district is a horrible district, but Capital tops it off as the worst school. I came here from Tahoma in 5th grade. As I went up the ladder of schools from Mclane, to Marshall, to Capital, it got worse and worse. The teachers at capital are horrid. They don't challenge you. They pick favorites. It seems like if you're in a sports team, then you get catered to, but if you aren't inclined to do sports, then you're screwed. My Freshman year last year was the worst year of my life. I'd rather be stuck in a prison school than that place.

Posted January 15, 2011
My recent experience at Capitol High School- Incident happened last night- 01/14/2011 Just a simple message- To the person / people who cut the convertible soft top on my son's car, stole his laptop, friends ipod and keys- I hope you get caught, cuffed, taken to jail / juvy and FINED

Capital High School 4

Posted November 09, 2009
I don't know where people are getting the idea that every teacher is a joke! I spent 4 years at CHS and really liked most of my teachers. Yes, there are some less-than-stellar teachers out there, but my two personal least favorites have since left, and I found that the number of at least average-quality teachers was way higher than the bad ones. The IB program is great, and the lack of sports teams is a district thing - if you want more sports, keep the district from trying to cut things like swimming!

Capital High School 5

Posted September 17, 2008
Well, as a parent of 3 students going through CHS I disagree with the most current parent comment. In the past, yes CHS has had a better reputation but now we have a new principal and things are definately looking up. Staff is more encouraged and students are happier. I believe if your student has a bad experience maybe it is the student not cooperating as well. You can never take the opinion of just your student. I have along history with this school and it is definately on its way back up to being 'the' school to attend

Capital High School
2707 Conger Ave NW, Olympia, WA  98502
Last modified Capital High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Capital High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top