Olympia, WA

Posted September 09, 2014
So far we love Pioneer, the staff is kind, professional, and loving. We feel lucky to be able to send our children there.

Posted August 19, 2014
Have had 3 kids in Pioneer. No issues at all. I look at the date of the remarks beloew (2009-2011) about bullying, etc. Not in the recent past for sure. My kids have gone (2nd-5th grades) since 2012 and have had great, engaged teachers. Kids will do as well as the involvement of their parents - that's a fact. I fine school as are most in the Olympia School District. Very happy and strongly recommend it to anyone looking at moving here (we're in the military and definitely move alot and have seen alot of good and bad schools across the country).

Posted August 05, 2014
This will be our fourth year at Pioneer. My son will be entering the third grade and my daughter will be in the second grade. As a former first grade teacher I have been overly impressed by the teachers, the principal and the office staff. I believe my children are engaged in a learning environment and truly cared for by the entire school. Pioneer is a neighborhood school, many of the teachers, the principal and the school employees live in the neighborhoods where the students live. There are days where over a hundred bikes are parked in the school bike racks. As for the comments about lack of structure at recess... The playground is staffed and has rules and limitations but Isn't that what recess is for? As for bullying we have not experienced any bullying but I feel the teachers and principal are easily accessible and would be open to discussing parent concerns.

Pioneer Elementary School 4

Posted April 12, 2013
We love Pioneer now. Our kindergarden teacher is great! I admit, I was disillusioned over the summer before we began, as there was no contact from the school during the summer after the Sneak Peek. I had hoped for a welcome letter (or postcard, or e-mail...) with a bit of info for us about our new school and where/how to get information. As first-time parents of an elementary-schooler, we were sort of waiting to receive a supplies list or something. Turns out it's all on the website. Maybe a letter, postcard, or e-mail with this tidbit would be helpful to the parents of new kids... It's quite a change after the over-informational style of preschool! As for the bullying comments below, my child hasn't experienced anything, but I do see a missed opportunity in that the kids aren't taught how to interact on the playground at recess; it's sort of a free-for-all. It seems like there could be some structured/active teaching going on with the kindergarteners during which some bullying prevention education could occur to prep them for how to behave for the rest of their time there. "An ounce of prevention..." Overall, we're very happy there.

Pioneer Elementary School 2

Posted May 12, 2012
We recently moved to the area and were very excited to start our 2 oldest boys at Pioneer. At first, things seemed great, but now that we have been here 6 months, they don't seem as great. Our 1st grader is doing well. He is advancing, but I don't feel he is being pushed to his highest potential. Our 4th grader is miserable here. He has had a hard time fitting in and is teased and bullied quite often. Prior to moving here, he loved school, had a lot of friends and was quite happy. Now, he hates going to school and is sad at home a lot. I have contacted his teacher and she says she doesn't see him during lunch/recess when socialization is allowed. Not sure what to do now. We are thinking of moving out of the area and finding a school that is a better fit for our family.

Pioneer Elementary School 1

Posted July 07, 2011
Disgusting, horrible, unappealing. Theese are just some of the things that describe Pioneer. If your kid has a special need the teachers will NOT help at all. I seriously would rather move to a different continent than be at Pioneer. If you want your kid to be a boring, obediant, robot then I would send them to Pioneer. The kids at the school are mean, horrible and judgmental. Competition is encouraged and promoted by the staff and so they're is a lot of fighting and drama between kids. I would never ever reccomend this school... EVER!!!!

Posted July 05, 2011
Both my boys attended Pioneer and we've had a very positive experience. We've had teachers at the kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade level (a total of 5 teachers) and they've all been excellent. Neither of my boys experience excessive competition and grew academically and socially. We found the teachers to be professional, creative, and supportive. One of my children has special medical needs and was supported and accommodated during both of his years. We've loved our time at Pioneer. PTA involvement is excellent.

Pioneer Elementary School 2

Posted October 04, 2010
The prior three posts are completely accurate. Parental supervision of homework is absolutely necessary. Competition among students is encouraged and leads to severe bullying that begins in the 1st Grade and gets worse every year. The new principal is more responsive than the old principal, but he cannot change overnight the bullying that has been permitted for years. And if your child has a special need, the school is very reluctant to help out . A few teachers were good at helping my special needs child, but the rigid teachers (and there are quite a few of this type at this school) were completely unhelpful - your child either fits into the teacher's scheme or he/she is left behind with no one at the school to help him/her. It's quite heartbreaking. If I had it to do over again I would not move into the Pioneer school district.

Pioneer Elementary School 3

Posted September 21, 2010
Overall, our family has had a positive experience at Pioneer Elementary. Admittedly, as we entered kindergarten as a new family, we were discouraged by the quality of instruction. Thankfully, our child performs at a standard learning level. I personally know families whose children have either special needs, or excel above the standard, and their needs were not met at the primary level. At this time I cannot rate the administration as it is new this school year. The PTA is very active and supportive of student learning. The organization supports families and the school in a very positive and effective manner.

Pioneer Elementary School 3

Posted September 02, 2010
The school year is about to begin and I am sorry to say that I am not excited for my child. I agree with the previous post, it is a very conservative learning environment and the administration and teachers seem perfectly content to keep it that way. If your child thrives on being the best and likes to compete, then this is the school for you. There is much bullying which is never addressed and the kids are completely out of control at lunch and on the playground. There is a great emphasis put on test scores and I believe the children have undue stress put upon them to constantly achieve. There is a new principal this year and I hope he does a better job than our previous principal. We will see.

Pioneer Elementary School
1655 Carlyon Ave SE, Olympia, WA  98501
Last modified Pioneer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pioneer Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top