Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted May 14, 2016
Both my children, minority students, went through the Olympia school system, starting at Centennial elementary, then Washington middle and finally Oly High. Quality education from start to finish. Oly high challenged and supported them. Both graduated with enough AP credits to knock off a quarter or more of their freshman year in college. Not every teacher was great. A couple shouldn't have been teaching, but they were the exception, not the rule. And, frankly, being exposed to an occasional bad teacher helped prepare them for UW, where they run into the same thing. Anyway, this is a very good school with high standards and quality staff.

Posted December 12, 2015
Olympia high school prepared me for college amazingly well. I cannot comment for students who are struggling, but OHS excels for students looking for an opportunity to grow and be challenged in their learning. Extracurricular activities, particularly music, are also very strong. In my four years, I was able to compete at the state solo and ensemble competition twice, placing both years. Academically, OHS prepared be well for college. I went to a competitive engineering school, Harvey Mudd College, and found that I was much better prepared for math and science than most of my peers. I am glad I had the chance to attend Olympia High School, as it gave me my best chance to excel in school.

Posted September 30, 2014
Last two comments by the same family most likely. Totally biased and discriminatory themselves. You get out what you put in. Oly High is a fine school and measures great across the board. Don't let the nay sayers influence your choice to send your kids here. A great school.

Posted September 30, 2014
I think it's funny that a parent assumed 'They must be from the same family' due to two negative reviews. That same parent said nothing about why they thought OHS was a great school. Did you notice that? Just the same repetitive 'Oly is great, Oly is a great!' without ANYTHING to back that statement up! I am an only child, so I can assure you that I am not related to any previous posters. I went to Oly for 2 years before my parents transferred me into Tumwater High School where I graduated with honors. I am currently a college student at PLU thanks to my grades at Tumwater High. I was overlooked at overcrowded Oly and getting help with my homework was hard. I couldn't play basketball my first two years at Olympia High because I didn't have the same experience as the 50 others who had private coaches and been playing since they were 5! I got right on the team and lettered in Basketball when I went to Tumwater. Oly is an average school at best. If you have an average kid, better hire a tutor for them now if you insist they go there. They aren't going to magically do better or turn into some kind of genius just because you send them to this school. They'll be lucky to just pass.

Posted September 27, 2014
This school is absolutely terrible. I went there for almost one full year as a freshmen. All these great reviews for this institution are quite false. This is because OHS has one of the greatest "brain-washing" programs I have ever witnessed. People literally cram how great this school is down your throat, and it just isn't true. The teachers don't care about you. You are just a number to them. Each transition between your class is like swimming amongst a chaotic sea of white children. The people there are prejudiced, judgmental, and homophobic. It's just unacceptable.

Posted August 26, 2014
I had 2 graduate Oly (05' and 08') and I currently have a senior at Timberline High School since we moved to Lacey. When my husband and I moved from Seattle to Olympia in 2001, we were told that 'Olympia High' was the 'Best'! High test scores! At the time my children attended, they had about 10% minorities and I've been told they 'fudge' these numbers so they don't appear as an 'all white school'. English isn't a second language for many and so yes, they do tend to test better. The elitist attitude that parents have regarding this school is unfounded. It's not 'better' than any other school in the area. They get more funding yet they require the kids to bring $1.00 here and $5.00 there for various activities and snacks that other schools with LESS funding provide for free. You'll find you pay MORE to attend a school with the most funding. Due to the academic pressure at OHS my kids were burned out by the time college came and chose to attend a local community college. My Timberline Senior can't wait to attend UW next fall and she was less 'advanced' than her older siblings. OHS isn't 'the Best!' It's full of 'Middle class, elitist, white snobs' who just think it is...

Posted January 02, 2014
I attended OHS freshman through half of my senior year. I believe if you read all of these reviews and take them as a collective mass you get a petty accurate picture. When I attended, the administration was a joke, as well as their bullying policy. I felt at times the bullying policy helped the bully more than the victim. It got to the point that the administration was required to parental permission to talk to me. I did well at OHS, but I tried. They leave many behind that choose not to attempt or succeed. The diversity of the school was good, but largely white compared to others in the area. I had some great teachers and two that I didn't care for out of four years. This is definitely a middle class school. Administration could use continuing education courses in bullying and students rights. I felt like many times the administration glossed over issues and tried to find the easiest way out instead of effectively dealing with the problems at hand. If you have no issues with the administration it was because you never dealt with them. I am glad I went there and had the opportunity because it prepared me for college.

Posted October 08, 2013
The demographics help the school to be at an above average level. Teachers are motivated and dedicated!

Posted September 27, 2013
I have a high achieving student at OHS, and it has been a positive experience so far. Classes seem challenging, homework required but not impossible amounts, teachers engaged. I feel she is learning time management skills and advocating for herself in the large environment. I cant speak to how the administration responds to struggling students or bullying etc, because we have not experienced those issues.

Posted September 23, 2013
We have two students at OHS, and are very happy with results. The level of expectation and support for future success is high. I read most of the reviews below, and acknowledge that every school will have some poor teachers, but most at OHS are of a high caliber and very dedicated. That said, one teacher from last year that was not great, but we told our children they must find a way to work and learn even with a poor teacher. This also can be a learning experience, and thankfully -- at OHS will be relatively rare. Our kids have access to great academic, sports and music programs, and are thriving -- despite being distinctly different individuals with different learning styles. There is a great deal of emphasis placed on the student learning how to self-manage time and effort. Online access to grades and regular emailed updates from the school helps us keep on top of homework. Online access to syllabi and homework assignments is great. Students are encouraged and supported with taking AP courses -- which means getting College credit while still in high school, saving us dollars and time in the future. No wonder this school is rated one of the highest in the US.

Olympia High School
1302 North St SE, Olympia, WA  98501
Last modified Olympia High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.