Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Children are not discouraged from bullying and teachers can be very unkind to students often times in front of other students and parents.

The principal is not good at her job. She doesn't listen to children or their parents and shows poor judgment. The academic instruction is sub-par. There is also a rampant bullying problem that the principal and staff are unable to control.

I had heard wonderful things about Lincoln, but we lived out of district so it wasn’t an option for us. After several years of traditional elementary education at Black Lake Elementary, we decided the competitive culture we encountered there lacked depth, creativity, and a thoughtful vision. It just wasn’t a good fit for our daughter. We really wanted better. We took the plunge and sold our house and moved into the Lincoln neighborhood. This was the best decision we have made in years. We soon found out that the kids don’t just go to Lincoln--like any other school--the whole family is welcomed and invited to participate in this inspirational learning community. My children are absolutely thriving at Lincoln and I am so grateful that this alternative school exists. The teachers, the families, the principal…4 years later I am still in awe.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

The principal takes care in each incident to find a solution and listen to the students. Not take sides or believe one child's story over the other.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Social and emotional growth takes precedent to testing and competition. Students are learning to work within a community.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers meet the students where they are. Teachers do the job of educating each student fairly and with positive encouragement.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

The homework provided is thoughtful and useful. Not just busy work assigned to give the impression of progress.

I'm now in my 30s and sending my son to kindergarten at Lincoln. I went there as did my 5 siblings. We are all better people because of our time there. I'm grateful to have my family there again now that I'm a mom.

The school's mission statement does not match what they actually teach. They do not work with student's who need extra help, they do not follow up on problems, they ignore bullying, the biggest problem is there is a serious lack of teacher communication to families. Pretty much everything that they said they were at enrollment they completely failed to follow through on. I have heard the same complaints from many others. They claim they are about community, but I guess that's only if they invite you in and accept you in their community. Their focus needs to be put on the children and helping them to succeed and feel comfortable there. The only thing that we liked about the school in the end was the garden.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a family more liberal and "hippy" than ours - perfect candidates for Lincoln, right? After two years we've had enough of this fake "holistic educational environment". The staff is judgmental, unprofessional, and have zero respect for family's privacy. If you are deemed worthy you'll be treated with "kindness" if not...good luck. Parents are also judgmental and not very friendly unless you've got something they want. I've heard other schools in the neighborhood are much friendlier. I was feeling heartbroken about leaving Lincoln until I reminded myself that their culture of love and kindness was a facade. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone

Last modified Lincoln Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.