Olympia, WA

Centennial Elementary School 1

Posted August 22, 2014
When leadership at this school changed we were hopeful of a more inclusive environment. Unfortunately, special needs kids are not a welcome part of this school.

Posted May 19, 2013
This is an awesome elementary school. The teachers, as a group are some of the best I have ever been around. My oldest daughter is 34 and my youngest is seven so I have some insight on what is a great school. The school librarian is the best around. The principal is a great leader who emphasizes education AND good manners and courtesy. The teachers are fully engage here....! The music program is the best I have ever seen in an elementary school. If you want your child to get a top notch education, be safe and have great leadership and example from teachers, then buy a house here and have your kids attend this school. I guarantee you will not need a private education for your K through 5th graders here! I am retired military, my son, who attended this elementary school is currently at West Point. By the way, their Veterans Day ceremony is over the top good.

Posted September 03, 2012
This is an excellent school with an amazing music program, along with strong academics. There is excellent leadership with principal Alice Drummer. My children loved this school.

Centennial Elementary School 3

Posted December 23, 2011
Was not impressed!! We had 2 kids in this school for two years. We are a military family and have had the opportunity to live in several states and have had our kids in several school systems. This is not a bad school, but like most schools in Western Washington, the focus is not academic, but more towards "diversity." The teachers in the school are nice, but not that engaged. Your child is part of the herd thats getting pushed through, don't kid yourself. It seemed to me the academic effort was ramped up a bit just before the mandatory state testing, (which has a lot to do with "No child left behind.") In the end, we pulled our kids out and are now paying for private school. They are still taught diversity, but they are actually being prepared for High School and College. The good news is Olympia High School is actually a good school. We have friends whose kids are in this school, and they are happy with it. These friends had their kids in the same private school (K-8) as ours, then put them in Olympia High School. We probably won't be here that long, but if that is your plan, live in the Centennial, Washington Middle School, Oly HS district.

Posted March 20, 2011
I have one child at Centennial with another starting in the fall. My son's experience has been excellent. He has progressed rapidly this year to well above grade level in reading (from being just average last year) and I feel that his classroom teacher and his reading teacher have been very responsive in moving him up and providing him with material at his level. He is excited to go to school. There is a great deal of parent involvement at Centennial and I'm very happy to have my children there.

Posted September 09, 2010
Centennial Elementary is a wonderful school! My 4th grader has been going since Kindergarten and I also have one that just started Kindergarten this year. I can not think of anything that this school lacks or needs to work on. The staff is awesome, supportive, understanding and sensitive. My child loves it here and from what I hear of other schools or districts, I could not imagine being elswhere. They aim high and always achieve success!

Posted October 04, 2009
Over the years I have attended many events at Centennial Elementary and am never disappointed in the evident quality of the teaching and student participation. Outstanding1

Posted August 10, 2009
We came to Centennial after moving from another district. We are impressed with the staff as well as the academic curriculum. Our child is continually challenged yet feels like she is also accepted for who she is as a person. We cannot say enough about the excellent preparation she is receiving for middle school.

Posted April 27, 2009
Centennial Elementary school may be wonderful for children who do not have disabilities, but for children with disabilities, it appears they are much less flexible. I would prefer to place my learning disabled child in a different school if I had a choice.

Posted January 07, 2008
The teachers at Centennial are smart, engaged and committed to providing a quality education to the students. The parents are very involved. The curriculum is geared toward reaching students at a variety of levels, and keeps students challenged and interested.

2637 45th Ave SE, Olympia, WA  98501
Last modified Centennial Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Centennial Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top