Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Posted November 16, 2015
This is the best elementary school my girls have ever been in. We are military and move a lot. My girls always felt welcomed and the teaching is wonderful. It still has that small hometown feeling, but with up to date curriculum. All the other kids seem to be respectful and the school does not tolerate bullying at all. I can't believe it's only rated a 5/10. Last year it was rated 8/10 and still should be.

Posted September 08, 2015
Best teaching staff on earth! Healthy safe campus with good curriculum... Just don't bring cupcakes.

Posted April 18, 2015
Moved from North Thurston School District to Tumwater because of all the great things I had heard. I am not that impressed with the leadership at this school. I think the curriculum is solid and that is a plus. I do hear my daughter complain about fairness and it just seems that they let big issues slide and minor incidents become priority. It appears there may be some favoritism going on inside the school coming from the top.....

Posted April 17, 2015
I have been at the East Olympia School almost every day for several years. I've never found the office staff to be anything but helpful and courteous. The reviewer below maligns the principal and is rude enough to actually mention her name. She has been the principal all the time I've been involved with the school and during that time East Olympia has won several state and national awards. It also has almost zero staff turnover. That doesn't happen in schools with poor leadership. My guess is the parent tried to circumvent some policy or was rude to the staff and is now throwing a tantrum because he/she didn't get his/her way. Before you place any trust in a review like that, consider how immature a parent must be to trash their own kids school because they're mad.

Posted April 17, 2015
Interesting the last two reviews.... Looks like one parent gave their honest opinion of the school. Maybe a little too direct but that is what reviews are for. It also appears that someone was given an overview of incident and tried to reply in a passive aggressive manner to belittle the first honest reviewer...... Seems like parent 1 may have it right after all. I am only assuming like parent #2 but you know what the say about people who assume. If my assumption is correct it looks like the staff member and parent #2 may be a little immature. It didn't sound like he/she was trashing school just a few individuals. Either way that is what this site is for. Parents to be able to read honest reviews. Would have probably given 3 stars if not for what looks like retaliation, which leads to bullying which is exactly what we are trying to keep out of our schools. Thank you for both!

Posted May 16, 2014
We're a military family, and this is the first US school our kids have attended after three overseas assignments. The teachers, administrative staff, and Principal have all worked together to help guide our kids and ease their (our) culture shock. The teachers' team approach to classes has worked well for my 5th grader. The kindergarten classes accomplish so much in a short time; our 6 year old is reading and writing now at the end of his K year. Bullying is addressed immediately and followed up with the Principal each time. The classrooms are not oversized, with about a 22:1 ratio in our kids' rooms. We were worried about our kids' integration into the US school system, but this team of educators has allayed any hesitation we had. We are returning for next year with a 6th, 1st, and Kindergartner.

Posted February 14, 2014
We are not impressed one bit :/, very poor leadership at this school amongst many other issues this past year.

East Olympia Elementary School 2

Posted November 04, 2013
not very happy with the overall school from the way problems are handled administrative side. the teachers are nice but too many student to teacher ratio to get the personalized attention students need.

Posted January 10, 2013
The students are well grounded, the teachers are compassionate and challenging, the principal is well liked and well known among the students, the staff is kind and helpful, and families (not just parents) are regularly involved in activities at school. My kids have blossomed greatly after moving here from another district. The difference was astounding.

Posted October 20, 2011
My child started in this school Febuary2011. In just the few months of attending her reading improved alot. My child is sometimes hard to deal with I find the staff have always treated my child fair and find ways to deal with the melt downs my child has. I love this school and hope my child can attend for the elementary years.

East Olympia Elementary School
8700 Rich Rd, Olympia, WA  98501
Last modified East Olympia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.