Orting High School

Public | 9-12

Posted September 10, 2013

Orting HS has a very "small" atmosphere yet big ideas that are accomplished with goals set at the beginning of each school year. The students are all in all friendly and up beat. I enjoy the staff very much.

Posted November 7, 2009

it's a good school with great teachers and staff

Posted January 25, 2009

My son has been at OHS for two years now. He has some 'issues' that are taken very seriously by all staff. The Director of Special Needs Children is phenomenal! My son's grades have gone from failing almost all classes to a 3.6! What does that tell you that are considering having your children attend OHS. OHS has the best staff and communication of ANY school I have attended or had any of my five children attend. GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted April 29, 2008

I have 2 children in OHS. I like the school. I really like the staff. I know there are things that can be improved upon as with any school. I am also tired of parents complain because they don't know what's going on with their child. They have family access here. I can for check grades and missing work online. Any time I have contacted a teacher (by phone or email), they are more than willing to work with me to help my children get better. Parents are just as important in their childrens education as the schools.

Posted April 3, 2008

This school has gotten really bad over the past couple of years. There is no discipline and no leadership. The school is so overcrowded.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 7, 2007

Totally disgusted with the school. We have lost a lot of good teachers and the new administration is lousy. In comparing other schools, Orting schools are way behind. If your child is in sports he/she should do well, if not, expect problems. Special Education department is terribly inept. Great after school activities for younger kids, not much for teenagers. Great parent involvement for Junior/Seniors and sporting events. I encourage you to evaluate the type of education you want for your child before making this decision.

Posted May 14, 2006

In the process of significant staff turn-over. Losing best teachers. Sad.

Posted January 14, 2006

All four of my children are recently enrolled in the orting school district and I have some concerns. The schools are great when it comes to sports and giving the kids extra things to do after school. The teachers need to work on keeping the parents up to date on what the students are doing. The students seem to be running the school more than the staff are and I think that has something to do with why the district is running so far behind. If you rate where our students are in comparison to other schools and how the students are doing Orting district is way behind. That is the main concern.

Posted November 29, 2005

The quality of programs is decent, not the best but it is good. The availability of extracurricular activities is outstanding. They offer great sports programs where the kids can excel and show their talents. The level of parent involvement is okay. Not many parents of the underclassmen in the school care much. But parents of Senior class students have excellent participation. Discipline at Orting is kind of slack, they allow the students to basically run the school themselves, which in my opinion is kind of upsetting. Overall it is a great school and I am glad that my son is there.

Posted September 11, 2005

What a great place to be!

Posted December 3, 2004

I dont think the teachers care about the quality of education. They just want the kids to attend school so they get paid.

Posted February 26, 2004

The Orting High School staff don't have good communication skills when it comes to the parents. At times I've had to call or ask at conferances questions regarding my child only to have them 'check on it' and not call back. It's very frustrating.

Posted November 6, 2003

Orting has a unique sense of community that is very evident in the school system.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students30%

White18%
Low income30%
Not special education29%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

183 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

171 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 12N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 49%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

320 Washington Ave North