Sidney Glen Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 659 students

Our school is best known for fostering leadership within each of our children.

Posted December 4, 2013

I am a parent who tries to be as involved as I can in my child's learning. In my time volunteering at Sidney Glen Elementary I am amazed at the dedication of the teachers and support staff. They are always kind and nurturing to the students & go above and beyond to make sure the children are thriving in their learning environment. Our children all come from different backgrounds, and in my opinion the teachers and school staff have done an exceptional job in meeting each individual need. If you are a parent who wants to complain, why don't you try volunteering in your child's school and I guarantee you will point your finger less at what the teacher is or isn't doing & pay a little more attention to the amazing job they are doing juggling the individual needs of 25+ students. I believe success begins with what we are teaching them at home and expands with what they learn outside the home. The staff at Sidney Glen truly loves each and every one of our children and in my opinion they are all rock stars doing one of the hardest jobs there are!!! Thank you Sidney Glen for all you do & continue to do for our children!

Posted November 16, 2013

I was impressed with Sidney Glen as a Guest Teacher. The students made a special effort to open the doors for me. The principal and staff made it a pleasant day. The groups I had were kind and cooperative.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 4, 2013

Great all around learning experience for our three children who have attended Sidney Glen over the years. Lots of extra curricular activities like the school play, after school basketball, violin, etc... really focuses on the whole child experience, great school!

Posted November 3, 2013

Sidney Glen is an exceptional school! The staff is dedicated, and they truly care about their students. My kids have loved every single one of their teachers. The school has won multiple awards because of academic achievement. I am proud to have my kids attend Sidney Glen!

Posted November 2, 2013

New to Kitsap Co. so this is our first experience in the area. The office staff is rude, they need to work on their pr skills as they are not god and the world does not revolve around them. My son has told me there has been major behavior issues in his class, everyone is punished (no holiday classroom parties) Place is run like a prison. Staff acts like they're entitled to there paycheck and can treat the tax payer like @#$%!

Posted November 2, 2013

I have amazing respect for the work of this school community. They have been nominated as a Reward School for something like 5 years in a row. This means the kids keep doing better on the state test. There is genuine warmth and caring for kids. Their PTA puts on great events too. This is an all around great school!

Posted November 1, 2012

When I go to the school the principal will always say hello and how great it is that I'm there. The teachers are great and the kids all seem to love the school. I do the watchdog program and it is a great way to see what is going on at the school. I think that this is a great school. Grandparent

Posted May 30, 2011

this school is focused only on meeting test scores, there is nothing else to supplement the traditional elementary school experience. My child was allowed to merely sit in class and stare as he/she was nowhere near grade level. It took years to get any sort of plan together and all that was offered was to move my child to the next grade although we were wanting her to be held back so that he/she would actually learn the material. We had a top notch doc's note saying our child just needed to be taught and not just passed along. The classrooms are filled with kids with behavioral issues that takes up most of the beginning of any class to get them to settle down. The school caters to only the kids in the middle of the spectrum. Kids that are on the low side get nothing they just sit there and kids that are way ahead are left bored and unchallenged. Teachers used to be able to make their own education plans and now they must follow what is set forth for them. SO getting some classwork that your kid can actually do is out of the question. But of course the Principal makes over $112K per year and that goes on and on to the high level of salaries for an underperforming school

Posted January 21, 2011

Great people. The principal (Jason Shdo), and all of my childrens' teachers have been extremely caring and involved. I see them donate lots of their own personal time to family oriented after hours activities. We see them around the community also. Being in a military town, they celebrate Veterans Day and Memorial Day wondefully. Both of my children are excelling and I love being there too.

Posted October 30, 2010

I have been so impressed with the level of excellence at Sidney Glen!!! The principal, Mr. Shdo, shows great leadership and really connects with the students, parents, and faculty. The teachers my children have had so far have been wonderful! My children are above grade level in every area and continue to be challenged. I highly recommend Sidney Glen!!!

Posted July 24, 2009

I love Sidney Glen! My children love Sidney Glen! Since moving here from out of state, I really see a big difference in my children's education. I am very pleased with the curriculem, the teachers, staff and esp Principal Mr. Shdo.

Posted January 25, 2009

Sidney Glen has been a wonderful experience for my family! Every teacher I have come in contact with is excellent and really there for the children! The new Principal and also the vice-principal are incredible and highly involved with the students and faculty! Wish I had gone here as a kid!

Posted August 7, 2008

I would say this school is great. My kids attended the '08 summer school for exposure since I've been homeschooling them for a year. My 5 year old daughter does not want to miss a day and she is always enthusiastic about school. Ms. Chamberlain is marvelous! Ms. Fouillard and Ms. Day, you're great with my son too. The Head custodian, is so friendly and nice with the kids. And of course, thumbs up to the principal Mr. Larson who is always on the go! To this great team, thank you!

Posted May 20, 2008

I think this school is great. I especially love the ima program. It has really helped my son gain a love of learning. That and my favorite teacher, Ms. Eaton. She has been a great teacher for my daughter and she is very supportive outside of school also.

Posted March 1, 2008

Outstanding in every way!

Posted January 29, 2008

My child actually transferred here from one of the better public schools in PO, and so far the difference has been barely noticeable, except with regards to the principal. I am so unimpressed by the principal, compared to the amazing one where we transferred from. So far though, I have been extremely happy with the kindergarten which my daughter is in, and the PMA class which my son is in. The teachers in both classes are fantastic, in my opinion.

Posted May 3, 2007

I agree with the other parent regarding the quality of this school in comparison with other elementary schools.Due to military moves our kids have gone to a number of other schools and so far Sidney Glen is at the bottom for learning. Over the years our kids have spent a total of 6 years at SG and we feel Mrs. Lee could be more involved with the students and parents.There seems to be a disconnect there? There are a number of very wonderful teachers there that go way beyond the call of duty, and then there are a few who seem to care less about teaching and I wish would move on to another profession. I think parents need to be more involved with their kids and behavior at school. The teachers can only do so much with a disruptive child and these kids make it hard for everyone.

Posted February 21, 2007

My son attends kindergarten at Sidney Glen. He started the year with behavioral issues. The teachers have worked with him and he is now a positive example and role model. His speech, academics and attitude have greatly improved. The staff care about their kids and take individual interest and time to develop them into good students. Every month they have a assembly rewarding the children with certificates stating their strengths. They have a theme monthly for the kids to focus on. January was positive attitude. The kids also did a production of The Wizard of Oz at the High School for public viewing. I think Sidney Glen shines in our community and greatly endorse the staff and teaching methods.

Posted February 7, 2007

Any kids average to above average learning are stuck and going at the same pace as the slowest child. Our kids did not thrive at all in this school. Other schools out of state we went to we saw a huge difference in learning. At this point, our kids do not like going to school and find it boring and unchallenging. (They are too young to hate school!)we end up doing lot's of home schooling to keep them challenged and they love it, so it isn't the work, it is the classroom. Disruptive kids run the rooms and i have seen many teachers have no clue how to get a handle on the class so the rest are held captive!

Posted June 9, 2006

Academic programs and community involvement are superb at Sidney Glen. The teachers care and go out of their way to help students. They are on top of the latest developments in education and are show a strong communication with families and communities. This school is GREAT!

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students85%

Average years educational experience 12N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 80%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • School of Distinction (2011)
  • School of Distinction (2012)
  • School of Distinction (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Whole Child Award AWSP (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 9:05 am
School end time
  • 3:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Jason Shdo
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (360) 443-3469

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Outdoor / Farm-based
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Auditorium
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Visit

Elementary school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Cedar Heights Junior High