Poulsbo, WA

Posted December 17, 2013
Have had an extremely disappointing year with my oldest in this school. I do not recommend it for parents who are military or are otherwise moving into the district. They are not very willing to work with new kids to integrate them and seem to adopt a strategy of trying to get us to move out of the district as quickly as possible. The administration uses a capricious and fairly arbitrary discipline system and they are extremely quick to use suspension (for instance, for writing a program on a computer when the teacher told the student that he could play on the computer, with no boundaries). It is unfortunate because I believe some of the teachers really do care, it is the unfortunate product of a small-town mindset and a promote-to-level-of-incompetence administration.

Posted October 13, 2013
There's too many bullies alot of people spread rumors. I hate this school it was the worst experience for me ever i couldn't concentrate in class because of everyone. I had to switch back to the ck district because of this school. This wasn't a good experience. The office never helped with any of the problems...

Poulsbo Junior High School 4

Posted December 04, 2011
Both my kids have had a fairly challenging education at the MIddle School taking math a year ahead and the AGATE Block. (Though my child is in AGATE (gifted), I'd really rather an honors program for all kids who want a more rigorous program rather than the class just for those that make the testing cutoff.) Band is excellent, and most of the science math teachers are good too . Make sure your child has teachers with the teaching style that works best for your child and get involved with the school and the PTA. I Love the newly adopted math book. I know this sounds odd, but I WISH they'd offer more consistent keyboarding. In this world of computers, without adequate keyboarding, they develop poor skills early on and never learn to type correctly. Budget cuts are miserable. Leadership is okay--I feel they could be encouraging more risk-taking by the staff and parental involvement. Socially, these were actually the best years for my kids as there are so many more friends to meet, and they found the school to be a safe environment.

Poulsbo Junior High School 3

Posted November 10, 2011
Lol, it says this site won't post names of teachers, etc. But I have seen several already! I am not sure how to rate this school as my children are not attending yet. I am expecting great things tho.

Poulsbo Junior High School 5

Posted July 01, 2010
This year was awesome, I had so much fun with friends because Poulsbo is not only a fabulous learning environment, but also a social one. My teachers helped me when I struggled, and Mrs. Jez is the best. I hope more people enjoy this great school.

Poulsbo Junior High School 5

Posted February 07, 2010
I love PMS.. Im in the leadership class this year and it is great. it was inhanced ,e as a person and has made me more of a indiviaul. Its a great school. I would recommed having Mrs. Jez and Mrs. Nelson for 7th grade teachers.

Poulsbo Junior High School 3

Posted February 27, 2008
Our daughter is attending PMS as a sixth grader. We're still adjusting to the newness of the whole thing. Overall, I think things are going well. She has a couple exceptional teachers and one she hasn't quite connected with. I've met with the teacher regarding school work and wasn't impressed. She isn't very warm, rather cold and harsh. It's quite a change from elementary school. For the most part, our daughter is making new friends and getting in the swing of things. She has done 4 book reports so far, with more to come. I do like that the students are held accountable for their homework and that there is homework, although it seems to have let up a bit since the beginning of the school year. I think teachers and students alike are adjusting to the new middle school format. I may revise my rating after the year is over.

Poulsbo Junior High School 1

Posted October 01, 2006
I agree with the most recent review, my child attended 7th grade at PJH and I found the teachers were not willing to take any extra time with her. I hope this school will improve next year when it turns into a middle school.

Posted August 13, 2006
Both of our children attended PJH. Unfortunately there is absolutely no help from teachers when a students wants it or needs it unless you are an A.G.A.T.E.student or teacher's pet. If a student is struggling in a class, the teachers don't seem to get that student help.

Poulsbo Junior High School 4

Posted May 10, 2005
We moved to Poulsbo just this school year and immediately got involved. Teachers encourage parental involvement and treat you like you are one of them. The Principal is very caring and concerned, through his actions, i.e., being out on the school grounds in the morning, and at events such as Band performances. But what was especially encouraging for my daughter, a new student, was the 'pep' this school has for it's teams. On the negative side, my 7th grader did not do one single book report all school year. Reading is definitely encouraged, and there is time to do that during the school day, but I find writing about what you read to be more useful in developing critical thinking and writing skills and she was never required to turn in a book report. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

Poulsbo Junior High School
2003 NE Hostmark, Poulsbo, WA  98370
Last modified Poulsbo Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Poulsbo Junior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top