Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Posted October 25, 2015
This school is just way too big. They cannot meet all of the students needs. We moved from a much smaller school and so far I am not impressed. The teachers don't seem to even know my children's strengths. We are not finding differentiation for student learning levels. You do not feel part of a community here... just a number. I really think it is just too big for an elementary school. And the uniforms... what a joke. Anyone who thinks limiting a child's creativity of choice in dress will help his or her academics is archaic. All it shows our family is that creativity is out the door at this school. Boo... looking for other options for my children.

Posted June 14, 2015
This school used to be great! Older reviews are justifiably higher, but any positive reviews more than three years old can be safely ignored. Principal and some of the staff are truly interested in student success, and welcome parent involvement. Overall school culture is fractured and parents are not as welcome as they once were, which is sad because research shows that parental involvement is the most important contributing factor to student success. As other reviews have noted, one of the front office staff is incredibly rude and arrogant, unfortunately. Her arrogance has led her to provide guidance contrary to district policy and state law and the principal has had to correct her mistakes. Campus is beautiful. Somewhat of a student drop-off issue, but not too onerous. With some staffing changes and revised school culture that values parental and community involvement, hopefully this school can be great again!

Posted July 19, 2014
This school came so highly recommended when I relocated to the area last year. It's clear that they have some caring staff and teachers and the principal is genuine and cares about situations that are brought to his attention. That being said, the school is overwhelmingly disorganized and the left hand doesn't appear to know what the right is doing. There is one front office staff member that is incredibly rude and condescending. Parent involvement is not encouraged. Class sizes are far too big and the poor teachers are rendered ineffective against this limitation. They also don't appear to know how to handle children with varying degrees of learning. My child is well above his grade level in all areas. Because he's unassuming, quiet, well behaved, performed all work well and without supervision, and didn't seek attention, he became invisible. Even after repeated requests for learning geared towards his level to challenge him. The uniform policy is fine but a little over restrictive for young children. This school would be great if it could be reminded that it's a school made up of hundreds of different people as opposed to numbers on a roster.

Vinland Elementary School 1

Posted January 16, 2014
I have had 3 children attend this school, one of which has special needs. If you have a SN child, avoid this school like the plague. The principal has no idea how to deal with differently developing kids. His solution seems to be to call the parents or have the child to sit in the office away from their peers. The uniform policy is ridiculous and inconsistant. While some girls are allowed to wear thick headbands, some are asked to remove theirs. Some kids are allowed to wear after school uniforms (cub scouts, girl scouts, soccer, etc) while others are made to change (cheerleaders, football uniforms). It is NOT a private school and happens to be the ONLY school in the district to require kids to wear drab, ugly uniforms. If we didn't own a house here, there is no way we would continue to have our children attend here.

Vinland Elementary School 3

Posted December 20, 2012
I choose this school due to it's high rating, and high test scores, the first year my children had an awesome teacher, and did well, even coming up in math, this year, not so much. I'm watching my daughter loose ground and was told I need to work with her more. (Which we do) But it seems to be over worked teachers, they can only do so much, and I understand that, but watching your kid loose ground is horrific. There has been a large influx of students between last year and this year. The class started out with 34 students, (which I personally believe is way to large for elementary) and they opened another class, but only brought down the class size by 2 or 3 students, as they created a mixed class encompassing 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. Which did reduce the class size some, but seems like a strange program to me. I'm not aware of any studies that this is a successful program. Moms definitely roll in a clique, I feel bad for you if you don't make the cut. I'm not a big fan of the uniforms, I think children this age should be encouraged to be individuals, I'd like to see the uniforms in the middle and highschools, where your branding is every thing, and fitting in critical.

Vinland Elementary School

Posted October 24, 2009
Teachers & Parents really care about the success of all the students.

Posted November 16, 2008
We decide to move to Poulsbo due to the school system as a whole and we haven't been disappointed. Every person we have come in contact with, assocciated with Vinland, has been exceptional. We are particulary pleased with Ms. Doria ( first grade teacher ). My wife and I have a son who is in Martha & Mary which will be in Kindergarden next year and he has grown leaps and bounds since enrolling him there. Hopefully he gets Ms. Doria when he gets to first grade!!! Good Luck

Vinland Elementary School 4

Posted February 07, 2008
the teachers and staff are always friendly to the parnets and students. If there is conflict or concerns they are considerate of all angles that it might need aproched by. The children love to come and learn. I appreciate the dress code and teaching the children how to be well behaved and kind to others.

Posted June 05, 2007
This is a great school and the staff and teachers there are also exceptional! Very happy there!

Posted August 29, 2006
From what I hear, there is immense pressure on these teachers to constantly do WASL related work. I think that the teachers do care. I think they are overwhelmed and pushed hard. I have had great experiences with hard working and caring staff members. If they did not care, how could the students be doing so well? Parents and teachers really need to work together on any 'issues' and listen to eachother. Care comes in all forms and it isn't always the 'enthusiastic' craft-making kind. Teaching and education have come a long way and it looks different.

Vinland Elementary School
22104 Rhododendron Ln NW, Poulsbo, WA  98370
Last modified Vinland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vinland Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top