1-6|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Silverwood was the light at the end of a tunnel for our family. After several years in overcrowded classrooms with overworked teachers, my once fun and outgoing child was developing social anxiety and scared to ask questions regarding learning. Instead of being tossed worksheet after worksheet and teaching to a test or state reviews, the teachers at Silverwood use a variety of techniques to engage students. Whether it's building an actual tee pee to learn about Native American culture, or hatching and releasing salmon to learn about life cycles, students are active participants in their education. "Ed-venturing" and teaching self-management and responsibility are just as important as basic curriculum. What good is teaching your child to memorize facts if they have no idea how to apply it to real world situations? The open-concept classroom design worked very well for my visual/spacial learner. Music and art are incorporated into the majority of curriculum and parents are encouraged to volunteer and take an active part in their child's education. For a small private school, I found more options available for after-school activities. Pokemon' and chess club, running club, cooking club are just a few options students can partake in. This hands-on learning environment helped my son go from below grade level to at - and in some subjects - above grade level. Silverwood is not your cut and dry learning environment found in public schools. If you want a school that teaches the whole child vs. memorization of facts and figures this is the place to be.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers at Silverwood engage their students. They make an effort to learn about each child's likes and dislikes and incorporate these concepts into classroom learning.

Amount of homework: Agree

I will admit that out first year at Silverwood was a bit of a learning curve in terms of the frequency and type of homework. We had come from a second grade classroom where students often did up to 5-6 worksheets a day at school and had more than an hour of homework each night. While homework was not sent home every day at Silverwood, the type of work sent home was engaging and incorporated real-life skills, such as book and computer research, problem solving, spelling, math etc. Our child seemed to get more out of this type o homework.

As an educator with several years of working in schools, both in the private and public sector, Silverwood School is at the top of my list. I love teaching here. The students are allowed to work at their own pace and take great delight in taking part in lessons that are hands on and engaging. I have found the Silverwood community to be encouraging, welcoming and supportive. It's a great place to be!

This is my 3rd year teaching at Silverwood and I cannot imagine a better place for students to learn and grow. Teachers allow the students to work independently on the curriculum which is focused on important topics relevant to our students. By graduation, our students leave prepared for junior high with a dedicated work ethic and love of learning.

I ve had the pleasure of being part of the Silverwood community for many years, first and a student and alumni, and now as a teacher. I am constantly awed by the community of this school and it has been a joy and a privilege to both attend and teach here. Silverwood manages to achieve a magical blend of high academic standards and quality, with fun hands on activities, that together make learning come alive.

Silverwood is a magical and wondrous place. I have worked and played here for 4 years, and each new year has something to teach me. The Silverwood community is a treasured one with students, parents, teachers, and staff working closely with one another to make learning a journey worth taking. My classroom consists of 18 acres of dense forest, ravines, streams, ponds, and trails. Come rain or shine, there is so much available to supplement and enrich regular classroom instruction. I recommend anyone reading this to at least come for a visit. We welcome any interest and would love to give you a tour.

This year was my daughter's first year at Silverwood and I have to say it has been a fabulous experience. The teachers make your child feel like part of their family, not just a number in a room. The individual attention to their rate of learning and understanding has been unparalleled. I am very happy with my decision to have my child go here.

Silverwood is a wonderful school where each child is seen as an individual with individual needs. They are able to differentiate the children from the struggles the children have & help them not only play to their strengths, but face their difficulties head on. This is done in a loving way without fear or judgment. I love the feeling of community and the fun activities they foster.

SW Review I ve gone to Silverwood for almost five and a half years, five and a half years where I ve been constantly learning and having a lot of fun. It sounds to me like stereotypically, kids don t like school, but I feel the opposite about Silverwood. Its friendly teachers are people you can rely on for protection and support, and lessons are taught in interactive, easy-to-understand ways. Projects are fun and are full of choices, transforming what may have been a boring thousand- word essay on electrovalence into a colorful poster actually showing electrons orbiting multiple atoms. And I, a student of Silverwood, feel challenged and cherished every day. Five stars!

Last modified Silverwood School is a Private school that serves grades 1-6