Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 17, 2016
Absolutely. My 1st grader loves attending school and knows most (if not all) the staff names - including the office and principal. This is because they take time to learn student names and personalities. I witness this with other students as well when I am on campus.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted May 17, 2016
My 1st grader often visits the school counselor - just to talk about her feelings outside the family. Whatever the topic of conversation is, she comes home with tools and resources ('thought book' and a pencil to write down feelings and solutions) to help her manage her emotions. The staff keep me posted on issues and my students' performance and I believe it's standard for all students.

Posted May 17, 2016
I absolutely love this school. I have a first grader who has been attending Shaw Road since kindergarten and every teacher and staff member that I (and my daughter) have had contact with, has been nothing short of amazing. From accidents on the playground to needing some personal time during class hours, this school never fails to accommodate the students and keep the parents in the loop at all times. I have zero concerns enrolling my son into the kindergarten program next fall.

Posted January 28, 2016
The school has many ways to encourage and recognize children. Each trimester ends with an awards ceremony. Once, students were recognized for controlling their impulsivity, another time for exceptional kindness, and of course the ubiquitous citizenship award. This school houses one of the QUEST programs for kids who score in the 99th percentile. I'm quite pleased that my son is allowed to finish up work in the classroom and not have homework. The teacher recognizes that busy work is not motivating, and that keeping a love of learning is more important that drudgery. Agree with others that the playground supervisors are cranky old ladies who desperately need to retire. We have been working with both the former principal and the new one to resolve issues on the playground, and we have made progress. We have really appreciated all the teachers at the school. The teachers do an excellent job at the end of each year to come up with the best fit placement for each child.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted January 28, 2016
Ms. Caufield is a very caring teacher who really inspired my child. He informed us that he had the best teacher in the whole school, and that year she was teacher of the year! Hats off also to Mrs. Turner. She really encourages the children to turn in quality work, and knows that there is more to school than just the three Rs

Posted July 25, 2015
I have had children going to this school for over 9 years now. We moved from Bethel School District and it was total night and day difference. Overall Shaw's staff is amazing. We've only had one teacher we didn't love and the playground staff is old and cranky. It's way beyond time to get some new help out there. But the new principal this year is great and really cares about the kids. And yes the kid/teacher ratio is high. But volunteering in the classes I am amazed with how well these teachers handle it. My children have succeeded and rised above my expectations while at Shaw and I truly believe that is because of the amazing teachers and staff!

Posted March 05, 2015
Shaw Road Elementary is a wonderful school. My child has thrived at this school. She loves going to school. The school has an excellent reading program, leverage technology in both math and reading. They do a great job of keeping students and parents connected. The staff truly cares about the success of each ands every student. The PTA is strong and is very active in many aspects of the school. It truly is a GREAT SCHOOL!!

Shaw Road Elementary School 1

Posted December 09, 2014
The schools does not offer P.E to the younger grades, nor do they have a formal art program. We moved here from out of state and were disappointed in the school. Teacher/student ratio was around 1:30. Not what we were hoping for with a supposidly 9/10 school rating.

Shaw Road Elementary School 1

Posted May 20, 2014
Student to teacher ratio 34:1 in my child's 3rd grade class. Lack of accountability to provide a stress free learning environment as there seems to be drama/ bullying that has not been delt with effectively from the top down. School yard Duties have little tolerance and on more than 5 occasions have heard about these people yelling at kids. We personally have seen a deterioration in our child's work through out the year. So far, not what we expected.

Posted April 28, 2014
My son has ASD (autism spectrum disorder) . This school and their staff have been great. They really care about the students and their families. I am very proud of the progress that my child has made in the 3 years he has attended Shaw Road elementary.

1106 Shaw Rd, Puyallup, WA  98372
Last modified Shaw Road Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.