Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Agree

My 1st grader often visits the school counselor - just to talk about her feelings outside the family. Whatever the topic of conversation is, she comes home with tools and resources ('thought book' and a pencil to write down feelings and solutions) to help her manage her emotions. The staff keep me posted on issues and my students' performance and I believe it's standard for all students.

I absolutely love this school. I have a first grader who has been attending Shaw Road since kindergarten and every teacher and staff member that I (and my daughter) have had contact with, has been nothing short of amazing. From accidents on the playground to needing some personal time during class hours, this school never fails to accommodate the students and keep the parents in the loop at all times. I have zero concerns enrolling my son into the kindergarten program next fall.

The school has many ways to encourage and recognize children. Each trimester ends with an awards ceremony. Once, students were recognized for controlling their impulsivity, another time for exceptional kindness, and of course the ubiquitous citizenship award. This school houses one of the QUEST programs for kids who score in the 99th percentile. I'm quite pleased that my son is allowed to finish up work in the classroom and not have homework. The teacher recognizes that busy work is not motivating, and that keeping a love of learning is more important that drudgery. Agree with others that the playground supervisors are cranky old ladies who desperately need to retire. We have been working with both the former principal and the new one to resolve issues on the playground, and we have made progress. We have really appreciated all the teachers at the school. The teachers do an excellent job at the end of each year to come up with the best fit placement for each child.

I have had children going to this school for over 9 years now. We moved from Bethel School District and it was total night and day difference. Overall Shaw's staff is amazing. We've only had one teacher we didn't love and the playground staff is old and cranky. It's way beyond time to get some new help out there. But the new principal this year is great and really cares about the kids. And yes the kid/teacher ratio is high. But volunteering in the classes I am amazed with how well these teachers handle it. My children have succeeded and rised above my expectations while at Shaw and I truly believe that is because of the amazing teachers and staff!

Shaw Road Elementary is a wonderful school. My child has thrived at this school. She loves going to school. The school has an excellent reading program, leverage technology in both math and reading. They do a great job of keeping students and parents connected. The staff truly cares about the success of each ands every student. The PTA is strong and is very active in many aspects of the school. It truly is a GREAT SCHOOL!!

The schools does not offer P.E to the younger grades, nor do they have a formal art program. We moved here from out of state and were disappointed in the school. Teacher/student ratio was around 1:30. Not what we were hoping for with a supposidly 9/10 school rating.

Student to teacher ratio 34:1 in my child's 3rd grade class. Lack of accountability to provide a stress free learning environment as there seems to be drama/ bullying that has not been delt with effectively from the top down. School yard Duties have little tolerance and on more than 5 occasions have heard about these people yelling at kids. We personally have seen a deterioration in our child's work through out the year. So far, not what we expected.

My son has ASD (autism spectrum disorder) . This school and their staff have been great. They really care about the students and their families. I am very proud of the progress that my child has made in the 3 years he has attended Shaw Road elementary.

Both our sons go to this school and have been there for over 5 years. The teaching is excellent and the discipline is perfect. If at all there are any issues, it is because the parents of the affected kids are not giving enough time or attention to the children there. Parental involvement is critical, plenty of parents participate so regularly that there are not enough spots left to volunteer. Although categorized as minorities , we have enjoyed this school and the teachers and the learning process. The Principal is excellent and very involved in everything and takes parental advice very well. We shall miss her when she moves on after this school year. The AP program is superb and feel very fortunate that we have been able to participate in it. This school is an overlooked asset to this community and Puyallup in general.

Shaw Road continues to provide a positive and safe learning environment for our child. I am surprised to read others negative reviews of this school because Shaw Road has exceeded our expectations and I have never had anything negative to say about it. My child is engaged and happy here. The teachers are wonderful!

Last modified Shaw Road Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.