Puyallup, WA

Posted March 05, 2015
Shaw Road Elementary is a wonderful school. My child has thrived at this school. She loves going to school. The school has an excellent reading program, leverage technology in both math and reading. They do a great job of keeping students and parents connected. The staff truly cares about the success of each ands every student. The PTA is strong and is very active in many aspects of the school. It truly is a GREAT SCHOOL!!

Posted December 09, 2014
The schools does not offer P.E to the younger grades, nor do they have a formal art program. We moved here from out of state and were disappointed in the school. Teacher/student ratio was around 1:30. Not what we were hoping for with a supposidly 9/10 school rating.

Posted May 20, 2014
Student to teacher ratio 34:1 in my child's 3rd grade class. Lack of accountability to provide a stress free learning environment as there seems to be drama/ bullying that has not been delt with effectively from the top down. School yard Duties have little tolerance and on more than 5 occasions have heard about these people yelling at kids. We personally have seen a deterioration in our child's work through out the year. So far, not what we expected.

Posted April 28, 2014
My son has ASD (autism spectrum disorder) . This school and their staff have been great. They really care about the students and their families. I am very proud of the progress that my child has made in the 3 years he has attended Shaw Road elementary.

Posted April 28, 2014
Both our sons go to this school and have been there for over 5 years. The teaching is excellent and the discipline is perfect. If at all there are any issues, it is because the parents of the affected kids are not giving enough time or attention to the children there. Parental involvement is critical, plenty of parents participate so regularly that there are not enough spots left to volunteer. Although categorized as minorities , we have enjoyed this school and the teachers and the learning process. The Principal is excellent and very involved in everything and takes parental advice very well. We shall miss her when she moves on after this school year. The AP program is superb and feel very fortunate that we have been able to participate in it. This school is an overlooked asset to this community and Puyallup in general.

Posted March 08, 2013
Shaw Road continues to provide a positive and safe learning environment for our child. I am surprised to read others negative reviews of this school because Shaw Road has exceeded our expectations and I have never had anything negative to say about it. My child is engaged and happy here. The teachers are wonderful!

Posted June 20, 2011
It is unfortunate that we chose this school for our kids. Without exception, this is the most disturbing experience my wife and I have witness in regards to the curriculum, attitude of the principle, and certain staff members. As a concern parent I highly suggest and discourage any parent to choose Shaw Road Elementary as a tool to education, motivate, and provide a continuously learning environment. If you want to submit to a faculty preconceived opinions, defensive disposition, and superiority complex, I would think carefully before enrolling your child/children in this school especially, if you are moving in from another location and are a not native of the community.

Posted June 20, 2011
If you want your child to be challenged this is not the school. I agree with the other parent. If you've recently relocated to this area and your children came from a prep, traditional or advance education school this is not the school for you. I am very dissapointed in many areas and unfortunately it starts at the top: The Principal is not open to a parent view of what is best for their child. My husband and I was promised a meeting with our child's teacher, this never happened. Some of the teachers takes it personal if you - the parent- question them on things like extra homework. I was told " go and get work books if i wanted more homework' !

Posted June 23, 2009
The principal there, Ms. Piger, is fantastic. She takes the kindergarteners two at a time to read to at the beginning of the year and then at the end of the year she has them read to her! She has brought an openness and caring to Shaw that is rare these days.

Posted October 17, 2008
I have had children at Shaw Road now for the past 5 years. This year they have a new principal (as of 9/08) and she seems very good. Overall, the teachers are compassionate and helpful. The one time I did have problems with a teacher I felt the principal at the time handled it very well. Would recommend to anyone.

Shaw Road Elementary School
1106 Shaw Rd, Puyallup, WA  98372
Last modified Shaw Road Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shaw Road Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top