Pope Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 100 students

Posted September 23, 2013

We have been at Pope for 2 years and the teachers, staff and principal are fantastic. We are glad we made the switch from private school!!

Posted August 8, 2013

As a military family, we have been in 4 different schools in 3 years. The teachers at Pope not only took the time to get to know my child, they went above and beyond at making her feel welcome. They also were wonderful in helping tackle the learning gaps that we have created by moving so often. I can not praise this school enough. The staff, including the principle, are wonderful! PTA, is super friendly. I wish that they did have a little more parent involvement, but I'll take what I can get! We will be so incredibly sad when it's time to move again.

Posted August 24, 2011

i was a student at pope and i know the budget is going down because of the economy pope is an older school and is really left behind in funds unlike edgerton and Carson which have cafeterias smart boards and a much better play ground where as pope you have to eat at your desk even after you have used glue or markers. there is only 1 smart board in the whole school as the newer schools have one in every room. Track kids did not have a track to run on either. I believe pope has one of the best staff in the whole district but i feel like the pope students and staff deserve better because all of them work together as a team to achieve learning goals. I think that all students should get an equal learning chance at pope as students of newer schools. the staff is truly an amazing group who care about the kids. It's certainly a bummer that popes environment doesn't show it. A solution? Give some of the funds to pope instead of the majority to new schools. Pope has the best teachers a school will ever want but an area that doesn't contribute to achieving the wonderful students potential. thank you

Posted May 16, 2011

I really appreceiate the leadership at this school. The principal is the most positive upbeat person & a wonderful example to my son of how to respect others. The office staff has always been accomodating, helpful & friendly. My child has been attending Pope for 4 years now & has ADHD. Although I may not always feel my son gets the understanding or help he may need from the teachers, he has loved them all every year. They promote higher education non-stop. This school has improved every years since my son started attending & most recently with the addition of the newest principal. In adition the counselor has been very supportive of all my sons needs & my son loves him. I feel my son is very luckey to be attending Pope.

Posted April 2, 2011

As a secondary ed teacher in the district, my standards are very high. My daughter has attended Pope for the past two years, and so far, I couldn't be more pleased. The academics are outstanding, the teachers are warm and enthusiastic, and the Principal knows everyone by name. I love the positive, upbeat atmosphere, the awesome office staff, and great parent volunteers. And most importantly, my daughter absolutely loves being a "Pope Thunderbird." It's a fantastic school! :)

Posted October 4, 2010

The principal and staff have gone above and beyond any expectations in helping my second grader get adjusted to his new school. He has a renewed love of learning.

Posted November 1, 2007

This has been my first public school experience. It has been nothing but positive. The teachers I have encountered are wonderful and truly care for their students. The principle is good and beloved by the students. Yes the school is overcrowded, but what school now a days is not. I have read the reviews and attended a meeting with the district, where parents were asked what their expectations were from the school. I was surprised that many expressed they wanted their children to graduate and be able to balance a checkbook and be independent etc. Folks, we as parents have responsibility and a crucial role in our childs education. I expect that Pope will teach my son reading, writing, math and science. Its my job to fill in the blanks, make sure he knows how to handle money, use a checkbook, etc. BLUF Pope is a wonderful school

Posted May 30, 2007

The school is overcrowded and the teacher expectations are very low. Grading flucuates depending on the teacher and I have foundmyself very disappointed since moving to the Pope attendance area. Previously at Sunrise elementary where the teachers seemed more invested in education and children's learning.

Posted November 22, 2006

POope is a very crowded school. Ask your child how many times they've eaten a wet lunch from having to drag it outside to their portable classroom. No gym unless the teacher signs up. Seems like all my kids do at this school is read - don't get me wrong, that's nice, but what about health? Social studies or science anyone? This is the fourth school my kids have gone to within the US, and by far the worst. I don't think I can even give it a 1 star rating. I regret our move to this school!

Posted May 8, 2006

Pope has lots of good things about it,but it is so overcrowded and the morale of the staff is getting lower every year. A new school will help some, but even that is projected to open above capacity in 2007, and Pope will also remain above capacity,too. The sixth graders have basically been detached from the school since they are at the high school, and the district won't allow Pope to close their enrollment. Look around--the building continues and there is no end in sight! The kids and teachers need relief. The new math program is very good, but don't expect any computer time--it doesn't happen. The primary students don't get PE unless the classroom teacher directs it.There are MANY safety concerns with 1100 students. There are a lot of lovely teachers at Pope who love the kids,but look at the BIG picture.....

Posted January 22, 2006

Overcrowded - if your kids in trouble, they get attention - if they're doing 'ok' or better, they're ignored.

Posted November 25, 2005

The staff seems very friendly. School seems to have a positive atmosphere. Mrs. Guthrie is an excellent 2nd grade teacher who genuinely cares about her students. Unfortunately, some of the students are shipped off due to overcrowding!

Posted September 30, 2005

Pope has been a great school for the short time we have been there. Yes, it is overcrowded, but they are doing the best they can with what they have.

Posted September 29, 2005

Pope Elementary despite the fact it is very overcrowded does an excellent job of making new students feel welcome! They do an excellent job educating the kids while creating a community feeling...

Posted August 5, 2005

Pope is an elementary that is very overcrowded. There has been a big push academically in the last 3 years and improvement of the WASL scores. Overcrowding and lack of space does have it's effect on these young children. Band has to be before school. Many times the children are unable to have PE because the gym is being used. Computers.....now that is a problem at Pope! All the teachers got their bond computers, but nothing for students. Some classrooms have a computer that the children can take AR tests on. That is the only technology these young children receive. This site shows 100% internet (for the teacher!) 22 kids per computer not even close try 30 kids per computer and it's only for AR. Pope has a mobile lab, but only a handful of teachers use them. Neither one on my children used the mobile lab last year.

Posted February 23, 2005

I have been so impressed with the staff and teachers. My daughter had allergies and was missing a lot of school. I contacted the school vice principal and her teacher and they had the classroom completely cleaned and she has not missed any school since! The AR (Advanced Reader) program is outstanding, My daughter has increased her reading one and a half grade levels above her current grade level. Great staff and teachers who make every effort to support our kids. It would help to see more parents volunteering, but that is an issue with all schools. I see the same parents volunteering - Thanks to those very devoted parents, our kids get to participate in some very fun extracurricular activities.

Posted February 21, 2005

My oldest son has attended Pope for nearly two years now, and I have nothing but positive things to say about this school, the administration, the teachers, and the local community. The teachers are very dedicated and caring. The Principal, Mr. Crawford, is the hardest working administrator I've ever seen; and the level of parental involvement exceeds any school I ever attended. Unfortunately, we'll be moving soon and I can only pray that the next elementary school my children attend is as good as what we'll be leaving behind. To everyone at Pope, thank you for two excellent years -- you restored my faith in the public school system.

Posted June 14, 2004

My children have been to several different schools because of my husbands military career. I find the Pope staff to be very caring. Sometimes I feel it is a bit crowded but I have always felt like the teachers try to maintain a personal relationship with the kids. I have experienced several who went out of their way for my child. They have alot of family nights which I like. My kids and I enjoy the Bingo nights. They do alot for school spirit. The Principal and Assistant Principal are very nice and personable. They are also very visible and that is great for the kids. I can't wait for the school renovations. I think that the new equipment and repairs will only make Pope a better looking and functional school. I love the office staff, they are the greatest and least recognized.

Posted January 7, 2004

We are fairly new to Pope, and came from another school district with a low student/teacher ratio, high wasl scores and pleasant atmosphere. Pope is dissappointing to me, and my children on many fronts. Unfortunately we are stuck as we are unable to move. Overcrowded= Exhausted and exasperated teachers= discipline problems= a not so pleasant place to be and learn for our children. Terrible WASL scores! All my opinion.

Posted January 6, 2004

On the first day of school, my son was going to a new school, Pope. He was a bit scared and unsure. When we drove up and saw the Principal and other office staff greeting kids at the front door, I knew it would be a great place to be in the 4th grade for my boy.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students57%

Average years educational experience 10N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 76%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

15102 122nd Ave East