School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Cedar River Montessori School serves students ages 3 through 6th grade. We provide a thorough yet nurturing academic, social, emotional and physical learning environment founded in the Montessori philosophy. Students grow into self-confident thinkers, creative problem solvers, and lifelong learners. They develop a respect for self, others, the environment and their community. Please contact us if you have questions or would like to schedule a tour.
November 30, 2009

Posted July 29, 2015
My son has been at Cedar River for one full school year (Early Childhood) and one summer. He is now 4 and doing well regarding his social adjustment with the children, learning kindness and cooperative play, and starting on early learning fundamentals. I enjoy this school because it seems to be able to accommodate different learners- by their style of learning and speed of learning. I also found the administration to be great. I'm utterly confounded by the comments below regarding admin - especially the Head of the School. They seem knowledgeable, engaged, and progressive. Maybe it's my sympathy for non-profits (as I've worked in one, and I know how much more slowly they move vs. for-profits) but I have found the administration to be very responsive to parental concerns. In fact, one of my parent friends is not shy and is always bringing up "things"- and they are all over it. I can only assume that there was a change happening in the leadership and board at the time of these complaints- and you know how people deal with change :) One other thing, with all of the research around grit/growth-mindset, experiential learning, and how brains get information and build networks, this school is very tapped into that developing work. They are integrating it into Montessori and highlighting the parts of Montessori that excel in developing these skills. I feel like I can trust that my son is going to get to be himself and make choices at this school to help him be interested in his education and learning- vs. becoming some passive robot to spit out facts. Sometimes the kids are mean to each other, but I have sat back and watched them take care of it. I think this school has helped me stop monitoring every child's interaction for potential bullying and trust that kids do have good hearts and will take care of each other in the right, supportive environment.

Posted May 31, 2015
I can not say enough great things! This school just continues to get better and better. The staff, teachers and families are really great and you see it in the bright wonderful kids. Take a tour, talk with families and cross your fingers to get in.

Posted February 14, 2014
Our daughter attends Cedar River Montessori School and we couldn't be happier with the experience so far. Everyone from the assistants all the way to the Head of School seem to be on the same page when it comes to focusing efforts on the children and their learning. We like to think our daughter was already a gifted learner before CRMS, but she has truly blossomed in this environment. The way the children help each other learn, and all know each other is wonderful. A big thanks to their entire staff.

Cedar River Montessori School 2

Posted December 30, 2013
Our children attended Cedar River Montessori for several years. While many teachers and staff work above and beyond for the students, the lack of leadership and oversight negatively affects the whole school. Our kids did not have a good overall experience, resulting in poor academic progress. The board of directors is very hands off, not having a true feel for what is going on in day to day operations, allowing a substandard administration and head of school to continue. I would not recommend this school until significant leadership changes take place allowing teachers & staff to provide what they are truly capable of... a great education & community for the children who attend.

Posted September 23, 2013
Cedar River Montessori School is truly a gem. The staff are well trained and intentional about their teaching. The children are curious, responsible, and kind toward one another, and the community is supportive and engaged. The spirit of this place brings out the best in all of it's students, who are more capable of independent problem solving, academic achievement, and cooperating with others than students I have seen anywhere.

Posted September 23, 2013
Cedar River is where both my kids grew up and learned to be independent, successful and caring. They loved the teachers and staff and we enjoyed activities to bring staff and parents and students together.

Posted September 22, 2013
This is a great school my son has been going there for 6 years. The teachers are wonderful.

Cedar River Montessori School 4

Posted September 21, 2013
Cedar River Montessori (CRMS) is a great school to provide your kids a solid foundation in learning to learn, responsibility for one's self and awareness of the larger community. My sons have been 'ahead' of grade level for various topics and the Montessori classroom experience allows them to follow the passion for learning. Great campus rounds out a great school!

Posted September 21, 2013
Cedar River Montessori does an outstanding job at teaching my kids to be independent. It allows them to follow their interests and gives them time and room to grow

Posted September 21, 2013
I have two very happy kids at Cedar River. The campus is beyond beautiful in a natural forest like setting. The staff is very caring, they really love the kids and love of learning and gentleness are everywhere. Very nice parent community and great academics. Not to say everything is always perfect but there is a real drive to make it the best it can be. I feel privileged that my kids can spend their childhood in such an special learning environment. Of course, Montessori philosophy is pretty amazing

Cedar River Montessori School
15828 SE Jones Rd, Renton, WA  98058
Last modified Cedar River Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-9
Cedar River Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top