Cedar River Montessori School serves students ages 3 through 6th grade. We provide a thorough yet nurturing academic, social, emotional and physical learning environment founded in the Montessori philosophy. Students grow into self-confident thinkers, creative problem solvers, and lifelong learners. They develop a respect for self, others, the environment and their community. Please contact us if you have questions or would like to schedule a tour.
November 30, 2009
This is a safe place to share your honest opinions of a school, whether good or bad.
Last year on attending Cedar River Summer program everything seemed great. This year everything seems very different.
- My kids come home with Flea bites on a daily basis (probably from poor care of the livestock they have there.
- It is very pricey but does not offer the stuff advertised. There is no swimming lessons as of yet.. and when they were told to go in my kids came home with a rash in the bathing suit areas. Poor pool care? who knows? No one will accept responsibility. Also, aftercare swim seems very biased on who gets in. Usually it is kids who attend during the school year not summer camp only attendees. They will claim that "your child isn't ready" even though you take your kid to swim all the time and they are just fine.
- Lost or stolen items. My kids seem to be missing stuff all the time. clothing items, lunch items. All in all it must be close to $50 in missing things and we aren't even halfway through summer.
- Last year my kids seemed happy but this year I often find them miserable and dehydrated sitting in the sun when I go to pick them up. I even witnessed other children scratching each other with no supervision.
- In their contract it says that you have to pick up your kids by a certain time otherwise you are fee'd, often when I get there my kids are not ready to go (missing items, late back in from an excursion, In the classroom with the doors shut).
- Construction going on during camp hours, water shut off's , etc.
- The sand box is uncovered and they have cats roaming around. The lost and found "hamper" smells like cat urine when you go to search for your kids missing items (which are never there).
- There seems to be a great lack of care when anything is brought up.
Very big disappointment! Everything is even more expensive this year than last. I really wish they would take an extra step and make it worth it. Doubt we will be back next year unless some big changes happen.
Being head of School is no easy task and up until the last 6 years the school had 3 different people I that role over three years! Miss Charis has been instrumental in allowing the school to grow and become a strong choice for families that want a balance between strong academics and creative, individualized learning. All the staff has really been wonderful and it is so nice to see a group that truly enjoy working with one another operate the school. Over the years all the parts have finally come together!
The teachers are very effective but this is Montessori which is not full of lectures and constant teaching to. The materials and the child 's focus are also major parts in the effectiveness of teaching. The Montessori environment creates focus.
I have always felt that the homework load was just right and if it was going to be too much the teachers were willing to set individual plans. Our Lower Elementary teacher was pivotal in making my child feel accountable for his work. Initially my child felt overwhelmed and communicated that to her and a plan was devised to make it more doable. By the end of the year not only the work being done but turned in early.
My child struggled with early reading and writing and the correct amount of pressure and accountability was used to create a child that now eagerly likes to accomplish their work Irvin when it is challenging. My child has never dreaded attending school and truly misses it during the summer.
Students are given a voice and mutual respect is seen from students and teachers. Older children spend a week away with their teachers at amazing camps and the group is often praised for their respectful interactions with other students and adults.
I have always been able to approach the teachers as well as the support staff when I have had concerns. Or questions. Children are encouraged to communicate their needs at all levels and my child has always felt his needs are listened to.
This school builds confidence and curiosity and the six years I have been there I have seen amazing progress with my student. The staff knows each and everyone of the kids and the ciriculum is fantastic.
I have also seen an wonderful community that does not tolerate gossip or bullying from parents or kids alike.
Every school will not be for everyone but there is magic that happens here.