Renton, WA
After care: No

Posted April 25, 2014
We really like New Horizon School. Our son recently started here and he is happier, more confident, and becoming more independent. We hear positive comments about him whenever we interact with the office staff. Everyone here has a commitment to children who are unique learners and we are very pleased.

Posted April 08, 2014
Our family and especially our son have been extremely fortunate to have found New Horizon School. Up until 4 years ago, our son was able to attend public school. When he entered high school, the dynamic challenges that he faced were just too much for him to deal with and we quickly realized how lost and scared he was. We reached out to New Horizon School for help. Our son is now surrounded by caring and supportive people that have helped him see his world very differently. They have provided him opportunities to discover his voice and that his opinions & choices make a difference not only in his life but in the lives of others. New Horizon School works very hard to challenge him to be the best he can be while showing him an abundance of patience, kindness & respect at those times when he is struggling. Thank you New Horizon School for all you have done for our son & our family.

Posted March 29, 2014
I am so happy that we found this school. Our son isn't enrolled yet, but we hope he will be soon. He's elementary age, struggles with academics, and has sensory processing and other special needs due to his disability. We enjoyed our tour of New Horizon School and our son was so happy during his visit. Their program is fantastic, and we know he will get the right kind of instruction so that he can learn. The classrooms are small and he liked being with other children with similar special needs. They assessed his academic and social needs while he was there, and really understood him. We have asked our school district to contract with New Horizon to place our son there for his special education services, and we hope that will happen soon. It can't happen soon enough for us!

Posted March 23, 2014
My 6th grade grandson started at this New Horizon school 4 months ago due to his severe learning disability, anxiety disorder and autism spectrum diagnosis. The public school system had nothing to offer, in fact was causing much more anxiety. (Even in the Special Ed program.) I am so impressed with New Horizon School and the wonderful teachers and staff and the safe environment they've created. Everyone can feel it the moment they walk in. The small class size is just what he needs. He is so happy and such a different kid everyday and has even started a making friends, socializing and staying for an 'after school class' one day a week which is led by one of the teachers. This school knows what they're doing. I'm so grateful we found this New Horizon School, for kids like him with learning differences. He will continue to grow and to enjoy learning again now that he's here.

Posted March 21, 2014
In her previous schools, my daughter never felt a part of the group. She always stood alone, afraid to join in, and never invited. At New Horizon School, other students welcomed and invited her to join in. For the first few weeks, she kept "expecting" to be bullied as she had been in other schools. Slowly she learned that no one would bully her, because "that's just not the way we do things" (another student's words to her). I love that as a parent I can come in through the main office anytime, and everyone knows my name, my family, and my daughter. I don't have to try to hurry out of the office, because everyone at the school knows exactly what our family is going through. "It's what we do here" - (Office staff member's words to me). We were always afraid that with her low social skills, she would continue to be victimized as she had been in other schools. We used to dread the future, wondering how all of the past traumatic events in previous schools would affect her; but now I look forward to watching her gain autonomy, have the confidence to volunteer in the community, and see herself as someone who matters in the world.

Posted March 18, 2014
My son, currently a 10th grader, attends this school. He has Aspergers, Tourette, and ADHD. The teachers are very skilled at giving him feedback, reminding him to see others points of view, giving him structure, and helping him to be more organized and engaged. He feels accepted and really enjoys the small class sizes. He also participates in activities and is willing to try more things, which he would not do in the larger, public high school.

Posted March 16, 2014
My child has been attending this school for a few months now. Even in a short time he is a different child. He was always so stressed being in an inappropriate public setting and would have nightmares about school. Now he is happy every day to go to school. This school is excellent.

Posted March 15, 2014
New Horizon School is such a wonderful learning environment for special education students. Small classes, excellent teachers, and many social activities. My son is in small classes where he can get the help he needs. Most of his teachers have been working with special education students for many years, and they know what they are doing! His math, reading, and writing skills have all increased. Best of all, he is making friends and wants to go to school every day! I rate New Horizon School as "Excellent".

Posted March 12, 2014
New Horizon School is an excellent choice for any child who is unable to maximize learning in a public school due to learning challenges of any type or from bullying. The latter was the main reason we had to take our child from Seattle Public Schools. The caring teachers and curriculum chosen for each child make this school a safe place, where problems like autism, ADHD and OCD are the norm, where children learn to cope with their own issues and tolerate differences in others. Most importantly, they learn! He is thriving in that environment.

Posted March 12, 2014
What a fabulous school. Long time teachers with creative ideas. Teachers employ best practices and universal design in their instruction. With the right amount of challenge, students thrive and are learning rather than falling further behind and being overwhelmed. There are ample social opportunities in clubs, dances, and sports. The elementary program is preparing for their new big toy in the spring. The class sizes are small so that teachers really learn about their students and students learn how to learn. As for the high school students, students go on to college, 18-21 programs/services and employment. Success for all! It is a collaborative approach with families.

New Horizon School