Eastlake High School

Public | 9-12 | 1592 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 20, 2013

I graduated from this school about five years ago and it appears that not much has improved since I went there. I will agree that the standards are high academic wise (in a good way) and I did appreciate some of my teachers. However, what I disliked were the attitudes. Some of my teachers would openly stereotype us as "rich spoiled kids" for going to this school. Granted I'm sure some of us were, but not all. It was also obvious that some of them just didn't care. There was a huge focus on sports, basically if you weren't on a select team or had your own personal coach...you wouldn't even think of trying out for a team. There were also a lot of cliques at this school and a high focus on money and status. I still remember begging my parents to switch schools half way through my time there. I stuck with it though, and I'm happy to say I never have to go back.

Posted March 4, 2013

I've had one child graduate from here. After a job opportunity came about we moved. Our second child graduated from a school in a different state. We have an opportunity to move "home" and our third/last child could graduate from Eastlake. Without much thought my husband has moved back for work, the rest of the family is staying put until our last child graduates. Eastlake tends to concentrate too much on state and federal test scores and not on the students ability to absorb the material. If your student is one that does not have aspirations of going to a 4 year D1 or ivy league university, they don't excel in this environment. There IS too much emphasis on money, the (most) kids DO drive brand new expensive cars, and kids that do not fit the mold, are lost in the crowd. We still have great friends there and they understand and support our decision not to come back. I am looking forward to seeing them again.

Posted January 9, 2012

Don't let the rating fool you. This is a top notch school. Eastlake currently has higher test scores in every area (except slightly lower in science) than neighboring Skyline with the exception of one math score. This significantly lower score skews the rating system and is due to the fact that EHS currently has no freshmen class. That math score comes only from the students who are already a year behind in math. Once the school adds a freshmen class (this fall), that score will fall in line with other four year high schools and Eastlake's rating will be back on the top again.

Posted July 13, 2011

This school is really great if the student is willing to work hard. Many of these reviews have mentioned how difficult it is with little money, but it isn't all that bad. While most students are very privileged, the rest definitely are not looked down upon. Many people dislike it for the lack of diversity and care for one another (too haughty-taughty), but I disagree. Take it from me, students care about one another. There are many magnificent teachers. This school's weakness is its obvious priority of sports and test scores. The programs are clearly aimed towards 4-year college. Overall it is a wonderful school.

Posted April 24, 2011

EHS has been overall a disappointment from an academic standpoint. We were told it was LWSD's rigorous academic school, this is our experience: * AP classes are not available until a student's junior year; honors program is non-existent. * Core classes lack substance and rigor. * Lack of leadership at the top -- Disengaged principal who is invisible to parents and students. * Lack of support for "academic" enrichment programs. Spotlight on sports, dance and cheerleading. * College prep limited - few students end up at top tier universities, become merit scholars, etc. * Teachers teach to a minimum baseline at the sophomore course level. There are a few exceptions. * Parent involvement is limited and they're kept at an arms length by the administration. Positives: Some teachers do "stretch" students and go the extra mile when it comes to their teaching strategy, communication with parents and availability to students--Particularly the Advanced Algebra teacher (Mr. Stratton), Spanish teacher (Ms. Meilleur) and Leadership/Biology teacher (Ms. Borden). All three are to be commended going above and beyond.

Posted March 8, 2011

As a previous student of this school, I enjoyed all 3 years I have spent there. The teachers were amazing and I had a great relationship with all of them. I didn't grow up with a lot of money and never felt out of place. I hate that parents think that just because it's a wealthy area, it's not a great school. It definitely prepared me for college and I felt like I received an amazing education and had great experiences. The extended core program really helped me make great friends and be close with my teachers and I loved how they incorporated all core classes with major projects. It's all about how motivated you are that reflects your success.

Posted March 10, 2008

I completely agree with some of these reviews. This school is not all it's cracked up to be. I have never seen the principal. There is too much emphasis on money. Most of the kids drive fancier more expensive cars than I will ever own. If you're kids don't have the money they can't keep up or fit in. We have been here for 20 years, our kids have never gone to school anywhere else. My Junior at Eastlake wants to move before Senior year because she's sick of the attitudes and clics. This school concentrates on students that are interested in and can afford 4 yr college, the rest get lost in the shuffle. Agree that some of the teachers are gems, I wish good karma for those. I too am disappointed with the experiences we have suffered here.

Posted February 23, 2008

I am a previous student from EHS... This school was a very good school to attend. Unfortunately, I found it a little too strict and they put a lot of pressure on students. The terms for the senior project were extremely rigid. I was failing in this school because I felt I could never measure up to the teacher's and principal's ideals for students. Every student is very excepting of each other, and if they aren't at first they are by senior year. A ton of great friends made there. When I graduated from another high school I went on to attend college and am using some of the skills I learned from EHS. I also have 2 siblings that attended and graduated.

Posted July 26, 2007

Teachers: Many are gems. Some, unfortunately, judgmentally pigeon-hole students and keep them there and refuse to communicate w/parents. Principal/Administration: Awful! Principal refuses to get to know students.This school is not all that it is cracked-up to be. Rules are not enforced. We are very disappointed with our 6+ years of experiences at this school and wish we had never sent our children there. It makes a good 'show' on test scores, but schools - especially high schools - are so much more than the sum of its test scores!

Posted September 30, 2006

According to the Seattle Times School Guide, 86% of 2005 Eastlake graduates enrolled in college, so it would be safe to say that Eastlake should concentrate on college prep. The National Center for Education Statistics indicates that business and social sciences are the two most popular undergraduate fields and further shows that there has been nearly a 20% increase in students selecting business and marketing degrees since the inception of the Eastlake business program. Today Skyline and Redmond High Schools, which serve a similar demographic, have kept up with this trend, offering 2 3 times more business and marketing curriculum than Eastlake. The school is turning a deaf ear to students and parents asking for entry and AP marketing and advanced business classes to have the same competitive advantage offered in other college prep high schools. Unless they change this soon, be prepared to be frustrated and short-changed.

Posted June 12, 2006

Eastlake is a wonderful school. The teachers are very passionate about what they teach and time to get to know their students. The size of the high school is wonderful as it allows the students and teachers to know each other and see each other. There are not too many students that an individual gets lost in the crowd. I loved this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 24, 2006

Excellent high school. Nice facilities, well-maintained grounds, and fantastic faculty. Would be pleased to raise my children nearby.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 19, 2005

Pretty good high school. Some very strong teachers particular in Biology and History area. Pretty even student body with majority of students oriented towards college.

Posted December 24, 2004

A wonderful school, definitely one of the best in the state. Good teachers and hardworking students make this school succeed.

Posted November 8, 2004

Overall a good School. It could be much stronger in development of diversity of alternative learning. Seems to be strong in paticular in two sports. Academics only geared towards four year college.Needs alternative choices! Needs stronger Performing program all around. Needs stronger rules in dress codes pressed. Two much skin showing all the time on students. Teachers need to be incouraged by Principle to be around daily two hours after school is out. Availablity for students to get help is limited a lot. School has improved on team spirit. As well as incouraging out side community involement for kids.This year I saw a huge involvement and improvement of this. Socialy a hard shool for a family income below one hundred thousand a year to fit in. Kids make kids feel bad. . Very wealthy familys. School activities in Dances pushed to much on Glitz and glamour not themes and simplicity.

Posted September 15, 2004

It is an awesome school. the focus on academics is superb. They PTA has always helped out in many ways. It helps support an evening preparation class for the SAT- as well as many other events. The teachers are in contact with parents daily!!!

Posted August 2, 2004

I think that this school teaches our children to be respectful and on top of that have a great education. Many have said it to be one of the top five in the state, however I think that its number one. My children just started at Eastlake High School last year and have found it easy to adapt to the school enviroment.

Posted October 7, 2003

The extended core program is awesome and the teachers in it are the best. This school has very high expectations but also a lot of teachers offer help, so it's easy to meet and exceed the expectations.

Posted August 26, 2003

Three of my children have graduated from Eastlake, and I found it to be an excellent school. My children graduated in 96, 2000 and 2003. The staff encourage my children to succeed in life. The two older children have done very well in college and the older one has graduated and has a sucessful career in TV. I think this is partially due to the positive atmosphere at Eastlake HS.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students40%

White21%
Not low income19%
Not special education17%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

433 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

360 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

406 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

357 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 12N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 70%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music