Sammamish, WA
Students enrolled: 1,592

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 02, 2015
No apparent drive for excellence. Some teachers stand out, but many seem to be more interested in cashing their paychecks.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted July 02, 2015
Students don't seem to have a clear idea of what is due and are not encouraged, to pre-read any topics. In fact, most books stay home, unused until the end of the term.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted July 02, 2015
Most encouragement comes in terms of sports. Kids not in sports are left to find their own way. Watch any of their "lip-dubs" to see this in action.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted July 02, 2015
Students seem to be encouraged to become "independent thinkers", which in this case means you get to share your opinion without regard to accuracy and the feelings of others. No emphasis on dialog, rhetoric, debate, etc.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted July 02, 2015
A lot of bullying going on in this school, both direct, and through social media.

Posted July 02, 2015
Have had two daughters in this school. I have to say that you will get good results if you also plan to have the kids in supplemental tutoring during their experience. Math is not "taught" as much as "self-taught", a legacy of the Investigational curriculum the district uses. Emphasis is definitely on STEM subjects, even the "slow" math kids do AP Calculus AB. For any kid interested at all in arts, they pretty much have to abandon the "college-prep" track and go against the grain. Our oldest left and did Running Start to complete high-school and got into a Top 20 overseas school, but I have to say it was more to her credit (self-studied and got 5s in two AP exams) than anything Eastlake did. I agree, Administration is aloof and disconnected from the student body and teachers.

Eastlake High School 5

Posted April 01, 2015
Moving our son into this school during 10th grade was a seamless easy transition. Not only did the quality of education my son received go up, but he was much more motivated to go to school with good teachers he said really cared about him.

Eastlake High School 5

Posted February 17, 2015
Love this school, so professional and thorough in preparing my kids for college! Great quality teachers and staff.

Posted April 20, 2013
I graduated from this school about five years ago and it appears that not much has improved since I went there. I will agree that the standards are high academic wise (in a good way) and I did appreciate some of my teachers. However, what I disliked were the attitudes. Some of my teachers would openly stereotype us as "rich spoiled kids" for going to this school. Granted I'm sure some of us were, but not all. It was also obvious that some of them just didn't care. There was a huge focus on sports, basically if you weren't on a select team or had your own personal coach...you wouldn't even think of trying out for a team. There were also a lot of cliques at this school and a high focus on money and status. I still remember begging my parents to switch schools half way through my time there. I stuck with it though, and I'm happy to say I never have to go back.

Posted March 04, 2013
I've had one child graduate from here. After a job opportunity came about we moved. Our second child graduated from a school in a different state. We have an opportunity to move "home" and our third/last child could graduate from Eastlake. Without much thought my husband has moved back for work, the rest of the family is staying put until our last child graduates. Eastlake tends to concentrate too much on state and federal test scores and not on the students ability to absorb the material. If your student is one that does not have aspirations of going to a 4 year D1 or ivy league university, they don't excel in this environment. There IS too much emphasis on money, the (most) kids DO drive brand new expensive cars, and kids that do not fit the mold, are lost in the crowd. We still have great friends there and they understand and support our decision not to come back. I am looking forward to seeing them again.

400 228th NE, Sammamish, WA  98074
Last modified Eastlake High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eastlake High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top