Margaret Mead Elementary School 1

Posted September 19, 2014
School facilities could be updated - classrooms feel overcrowded. My observation about school leadership is that the principal does not seem engaged. Some teachers seem overwhelmed. Staff turnover is high. Would be nice to see spelling bee, talent show, etc. School is positioned with easy access for strangers to get onto the campus. Strangers can walk right through the front door without being questioned. Overall, not impressed.

Posted June 26, 2014
Fantastic school that really values the kids' education over everything else. We love the small class sizes, accessiblity of teachers and the wonderful principal. All the staff there are a joy to work with and the PTO organizes frequent, fun and well attended events for the kids (and parents!). If you have an elementary age child, look no further than Margaret Mead.

Margaret Mead Elementary School 3

Posted April 28, 2014
I have 2 children in this school & this is the end of their 1st & only year @ this school. My son's teacher (3rd grade) has been outstanding. Quite often, he is excited to tell me things he learned that day. My daughter is in the 2nd grade & the whole year has had a substitute because her actual teacher had a baby @ the 1st of the year. This substitute teacher babies the children in her class & allows them to be completely dependent on help from the teacher, even after SEVERAL weeks of doing the same thing. That teacher does not encourage better handwriting, among other things. She really did not fit in that school. The other staff @ the school is excellent. The principal is probably the best I have ever seen; she is very involved & cares about all of the children. My son has ADHD (w/ high academics but hyper & aggressive, got bored w/ normal homework & needed to be challenged) and the Special Education team works VERY hard & does everything they can 2 ensure that every child is getting what they need & can learn as much as possible. School has 3 recesses, which I don't agree with, but overall is a good school. Kids here need more discipline and structure, at school AND home.

Posted November 15, 2013
I have two children at Mead and we have had good experiences. Our school keeps the best interest of the children at the forefront. The staff and principal cares about the children. The school is older (built in 1979) and operating over-capacity. This can lead to limitations on offerings due to lack of space. However, the staff is careful to make the best of the resources they have and have done a great job teaching the kids. The test scores are high and kids like coming to school. The administration is open to suggestions and parent involvement and partnerships. The PTSA is very active and always looking for ways to support the students and staff. My favorite thing about the school is the sense of community and "down-to-earth" people. Having East Sammamish Park right behind the school encourages parents and kids to visit after school. I'm very glad to have my children at Mead. When we moved, we intentionally stayed within Mead's boundaries. However, if you live in the area and would prefer another school, open enrollment generally allows you to go to Blackwell or Carson.

Margaret Mead Elementary School 4

Posted March 04, 2013
We have three of our children at Margaret Mead 3rd, 2nd, K and have had a very good experience so far. The teachers our children have are very engaged, the principal is visible and seems very involved. Our kids have made great progress academically. It being a public school there are issues with Christmas, Easter etc. but apart from that we have had a great experience.

Margaret Mead Elementary School 2

Posted April 17, 2011
Yuck. We were at this school for five years before escaping to private school. One homework assignment in 2nd grade was "draw a picture of a feeling". ??? What a complete waste of time. My other student's 1st grade class had "alcohol awareness week", which seemed way over the top for a 1st-grader. They should have been teaching the 3Rs. Political correctness seemed more important than actual learning. Add to that that they wouldn't even say "Christmas" during December, it was like you had to pretend that Christmas wasn't a real holiday or actual word, and I got fed up and said "no more". When my kids started at a private school, even my 2nd grader noticed that big difference in academics and told me "Mom, we really didn't learn anything at Mead." The kids at Mead were swearing in the halls constantly, and were ill-mannered to each other. My kids didn' t like that atmosphere; they just wanted to be normal and civil and learn actual information. I do not recommend Mead. Just skip it and go to private school. It will be well worth!

Posted April 06, 2011
As a parent of Kindergartner, I have to say we've had nothing but a first rate experience. My son loves going to school and his reading and math skills have taken off - we're excited at his progress!

Margaret Mead Elementary School 2

Posted May 25, 2010
Two of our children have attended this school. The past principal has been extremely difficult to work with for our special needs child. Initially, the school under her direction took over a year to complete an IEP for our child who had a diagnosis.The long-time principal refused to accept the diagnosis, and placed our child in a regular ed classroom repeatedly. It was a miserable experience and very traumatic for our child. She made statements in our child's presence that were detrimental our child's self esteem. Overall our children have had 4 very good teachers and 1 problematic teacher. There is a high level of parental involvement, which is delightful.

Margaret Mead Elementary School 0

Posted April 02, 2010
The school is good when the teachers and principal are good. It is also bad when good teachers leave. Too bad there is not better retention of good / great teachers over the long haul at this school.

Margaret Mead Elementary School 4

Posted September 22, 2006
I have had all three children attend Margaret Mead and have been pleased with the school and volunteers. I have had reservations about two of the teachers who are no longer there. That may tell you enough. I enjoy the staff and admire the principal for the outstanding job she has done. I only wish the kids who need extra help could get it. I don't believe the no kid left behind rule is working. This school tends to help more with the kids who are accelerated.

Margaret Mead Elementary School
1725 216th Ave NE, Sammamish, WA  98074
Last modified Margaret Mead Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Margaret Mead Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top