Bad
Good

Blackwell has been a great school because of the teachers. Unfortunately, I have to agree with the previous review about the PTSA. If you stay away from the unprofessional behaviour of a few in the PTSA, you will be happy with the school. Having said that, not all parents who volunteer fall into that category. I do recommend volunteering for your teacher's class. Overall, it's been a positive experience for my child which is what really matters most for our family.

When we moved to this area, I thought it was one of the best schools around (that's why we moved here)...WRONG! As long as you go with the flow, don't make waves, and do as the PTSA demands that you do, I guess you'll be happy. I challenged some "old ways" and was promptly "corrected". They do not like to be even slightly told about a new idea. And if your child is perfect in every subject, you'll do well. If they need extra help, you are looked down on because you are bringing the entire schools test scores down...that is the most important thing to the school and to most of the parents. They do not say this of course, but the other parents constantly bug you about your child's scores while telling you their child is "helping" the greater good of the school by their awesome scores. The teachers aren't quite as rude about it, but it comes out it other less subtle ways. We are switching to private school starting next year-I have had enough.

I would like to bring up a safety problem in Elizabeth Blackwell Elementary and describe an incident that happened to my child at this school. Recently, when picking up my son from Elizabeth Blackwell Elementary, I saw that the corner of his eye was red and swollen and he was in tears. When I asked him what happened, he told me that another pre-schooler kicked him in the eye. This is not the first time my son complains about being beaten in pre-school 2-3 occurrences happened before.I brought up this incident immediately to the teacher s attention. To my great surprise, this teacher told me that my child was kicked in the eye probably because other child didn t understand what my child said and she will not do anything about it unless the my child complains to the teacher. The thing is, my child does not speak English and cannot explain what happened to him. This sounds like a complete nonsense and mendacity to me; I ve never seen this happening in the US. My child told me he tried to get the teacher s attention but the teacher said Come on! and did nothing Let me mention again this is not the first time he complained about violence from a class-mate, so there s a pattern.

Elizabeth Blackwell is a school with dedicated teachers, enthusiastic and conscientious students, and supportive parents. This school has consistently risen to the challenge of providing quality education to students and the teachers are always refining their practices to best meet the needs of the students. The new principal is dedicated to education and has brought a real spark to school morale and is actively engaged and interested in the betterment of the school

Parent creativity in volunteering is well-accepted at Blackwell by the staff, PTSA, and parent volunteers. A parent wanting to participate but who has time or interest/skill constraints can easily find a comfortable level of participation which is why the school has an outstanding number of parent volunteers.

Last modified Elizabeth Blackwell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.