Posted November 08, 2011
My children attend this school, and I just love what it has to offer. For the little ones (first grade - 5th) Spanish and science enrichment before school, art, music, and a huge anti-bullying curriculum push, K - 8. Onsite before and after school care, and a dance program with the PNB, artist in residence, and really amazing PTA. Upper grades have too much to mention in a little review (National Junior Honor Society, Japanese--they went to Japan last summer, high school math, three computer labs, winning sports teams, I could go on). The staff are caring, smart professionals overall, and I've been incredibly satisfied with the rigor of the Spectrum classes as well as the individual attention my children receive in their instruction. Class size is 22 - 24 and the principal is on the ball and responsive. My only criticism is small: no grass play areas. But they make up for it in play structures reserved for primary and upper grades. They have a separate kindergarten play area so there is a comfortable place to go at recess when they want to get away from the "big kids." I'd come visit if I were you. It's a hidden, diverse gem! There are over 36 languages spoken there!

Posted May 23, 2011
My child is finishing 2nd grade right now and has attended Broadview Thomson since Kindergarten. To sum up our feelings about BT, we are applying for a transfer to another school. I have personally sent the principal several emails about the issues my child has had throughout the year with her teacher, about bullying incidents, and about the teacher s indifference to the incidents, and have never received a response. The only time he responded to me was when I bought the school several new books for the library. I was told that he would be attending a meeting with himself and the 2nd grade Administrator, yet he failed to show up to the meeting. This level of unprofessionalism has unfortunately become more frequent in my interactions with the school. There are several standout employees and teachers, but the overall problems at the school outweigh the positive aspects. This school has a bullying and behavior problem, period, and the administration seems to be largely in denial about this.

Posted April 14, 2011
I went here for 1st through 5th grade and absolutely hated it. Once, somebody punched me for no particular reason, so I told the teacher, but she said that it was not her problem and I got in trouble for "tattling". Do not send your children to this school unless you want them to be miserable.

Broadview-Thomson Elementary School 4

Posted February 03, 2011
My son is a kindergarten student at Broadview Thomson. When we started school here I was a little worried, due to the poor scores and the poor reviews online. However, I really wanted my son to be in his neighborhood school. After talking to Mr. Jessee and touring the school several times we decided to send our son to Broadview Thomson. We had a rough start, as most kindergarten kids do. Kindergarten is so much more than preschool in many ways. Now that the year is half over, It has become clear to us that our son is learning to read, to write and to do math. His progress has been noteworthy. Broadview Thomson also has a great counseling department. They make great efforts to teach the kids how to solve their disagreements in a healthy way. They work in a proactive way before disagreements come up and in a cooperative way once a disagreement has taken place. Broadview Thomson is a wonderfully diverse environment, and I feel my son is learning to appreciate different races and cultures in a way that he would not be able to do in a typical Seattle school. Overall we are very happy with this school and we will be continuing here next year.

Broadview-Thomson Elementary School 3

Posted January 13, 2011
My 5th gr. son has been here for 2 yrs (xfer'd from Viewlands upon closing). This year I grew a strong dislike for this school. The past teachers have been unorganized, impersonal, and lacked communication. I like keeping in the loop with my child's education and such, other than conferences. This is the first year when my son has had a teacher with all of the elements- personable, creative, fun, organized. The school as a whole seems to strive for diversity & promotion of anti-bullying, but they don't seem to know the signs, as my son dealt with being picked on early in the year. The principal & counselors were completely unaware of the situation. The principal used to be VP and does not make for a good principal at all. They are also apparently low on fundage, and to many of our dismay, they are not having a 5th gr. Camp this yr! That is a pivotal event for a child! I was also informed that there won t be band (or at least adv band) next year. For these reasons, I will be transferring my son to a different school next year.

Posted August 12, 2010
When they don't meet Average Yearly Progress Standards, the Principal says if they had more money they would but "they don't". So how do other schools do it??? A 3rd grade boy whose parents are of limited English speaking ability is testing @ 5th grade proficiency levels - clearly not challenged in traditional 3rd grade classes so he's become a discipline problem. (He slammed my son's head into a fence post and broke his tooth among other things) They put him in Spectrum briefly but that is still below the level he needs to be challenged. He continued to be a bully so they decided "they didn't have time for that kind of disruption in Spectrum" and put him back in the regular class where many of the kids are performing below grade level and in my opinion can afford the disruption less.

Broadview-Thomson Elementary School 2

Posted June 15, 2010
The only saving grace for this school are the wonderful teachers and saint of a school nurse. Since the middle school and new principal this school feels more like a juvenile detention center. Bad behavior, bullying and fighting. I don't feel my child is safe and don't feel administration will do anything to protect our children while they are there during the day.

Posted February 23, 2010
My child chose this middle school program in 6th grade and has only remained thru 8th grade because his friends are still there, as a parent I have have been disappointed with the lack of programs (no foreign languages, minimal computer skills, no library books for this age group, PE is only offered part of the year) and the majority of the middle school teachers leave a lot to be desired. Administration has changed this year but we haven't seen any positive changes. Given a chance to do it over I'd go with a different school.

Posted February 23, 2010
We have a 4th grader and a 2nd grader at Broadview and have been very impressed with all of their teachers so far. Principal Jessee (new this year, promoted from VP) is terrific and seems to know nearly all 800 kids by name! If you've been assigned to Broadview in the new assignment plan, you should rest easy. It's a great school that somehow doesn't get the credit it deserves. (Maybe because the outside of the building isn't so attractive.) But inside the teachers care, the kids are learning and the classrooms are happy places!

Posted December 23, 2009

Broadview-Thomson Elementary School
13052 Greenwood Av North, Seattle, WA  98133
Last modified Broadview-Thomson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Broadview-Thomson Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews.