Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

My daughter is not inspired about learning. She is often confused about directions and expectations, yet does not feel that teachers are readily available to help clarify things.

Develops character: Disagree

There are teachers who tend to pick on students, and are not good models of fair behavior. And mild, hidden bullying is the norm among students.

My daughter transferred to Eckstein when we moved to Seattle, and I regret the decision deeply She is a kind person, gets' straight As, and has lots of good friends. Yet because she was new apparently, kids started rumors about her that were completely untrue. The clique of kids that all went to elementary together, in particular, were quite vicious toward her, and my daughter was distraught for the entire first semester. The other big change for her was suddenly being in a context where the teachers were distant and not very accessible. Some dismissed her questions outright, others were not available after school or during lunch for my daughter to come in for clarification on assignments and such. At her old school, she counted some teachers as friends, and when we visit her old school the teachers hug her and call her by name. Eckstein teachers seem to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. Until this year my daughter loved going to school; now she dreads it, and can't wait for the school year to end. All to say: If you have a choice, I would not choose Eckstein for your child.

-very cliquey -building is in bad condition -heating/cooling is little to none, hot and cold weather distracted from learning -some very good teachers, some very bad teachers -lunchroom fights and bullying was common -minimally diverse, I noticed that groups of friends from elementary would stick together and not socialize with new people. -bad school dances The school was good if you were -rich -white -in jazz, or vocal jazz

My daughter who is now a freshman at nearby Nathan Hale attended this school for all three years in middle school. If your child is at all different (clothing style, appearance, socioeconomically, etc) or has learning or other types of disabilities, I highly recommend you send them somewhere else. There is bullying against students who are different here, both from the students and from the principal. And if your child needs extra help in school like mine did due to a medically diagnosed learning disability, don't expect anyone to care. I spent three years trying to get my daughter help to no avail. As far as teachers go, like most public schools, there are some great ones, and then there are those who are so awful, that they should have never been given the privilege of being a teacher. It was so bad that I was SO HAPPY when the district redrew the maps and my younger children will be assigned to Jane Addams now instead of Eckstein.

This is actually the first review section I've ever seen student input. Their hate for the school is almost as troubling as their grammar. Its sad you kids are having a hard time and hate it school. Please consider my advice. The reality is school isn't going to a positive experience for most, for me it was horrible. But this time in your life is meant to prepare you to be on your own. If you can have a good experience thats great, but that's not what really matters. Middle School and High School are only few years, but it sets the course for the rest of your VERY long life. If you do well you'll go on to a fulfilling life, if you do bad you won't, it's that simple. Don't let a bad social scene or teachers in school be the reason you stop caring about your grades or start hanging out with the wrong kids and get in trouble and ruin the rest of your life. Take advantage of this time to work hard on your grades, get the job done, graduate high school and get into a good college. Don't let the petty nonsense of kids and teachers over the next few years break you down so bad you ruin the rest of your life over it, stay strong kids. and most of all CARE

EMS has been an Excellent school for our 6th grade son. Great teachers, and staff.

Don't believe these negative reviews, Eckstein is a great school! There is a reason why Eckstein consistently has the highest standardized test scores in the area - because the academic expectations here are top notch. The school has really focused on more accurate grade reporting, so academic grades are based solely on assessments, and things like homework completion and student-behaviors are reported in effort and citizenship grades (which is different than what we had in school, but makes sense, right?). The music program is award winning and regularly recognized, and the electives go above and beyond for a middle school (computer programming for 7th and 8th graders!). But the teachers are the best part of this school. They post assignments/grades on the Source so that we can see them, and many have online blogs about what is going on in class. They care a great deal about kids! I would take the reviews written by students with a grain of salt. I have found that the teenage perception of school and the reality of it are often very different things...

its a nice school and nice teachers some are mean but some are nice teachers

I hate this school. I would cry atleast twice a week because of eckstein. you need to be in the "popular group" in order to fit in and not get bullied or gossiped about. plus 8th graders and 7th graders push you around and bully you. yes I am in the popular group but they do that to me. the 7th graders cuss at me and stuff it's annoying. Teachers are ok at the school but don't really help you. I use to have A's and B's to B's, C's and D's friends at this school can have a huge impact on you. They can change your grades by having a bad influence on you and get you into so much drama. I seriously I hate this school. Friends at this school can later on make you bad in high school making you maybe take drugs if your not smart. The principal barely doesn't care about anything. I could make a book about how bad eckstein is.

Last modified Eckstein Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.