Seattle, WA
Students enrolled: 1,213

Posted March 27, 2015
My daughter who is now a freshman at nearby Nathan Hale attended this school for all three years in middle school. If your child is at all different (clothing style, appearance, socioeconomically, etc) or has learning or other types of disabilities, I highly recommend you send them somewhere else. There is bullying against students who are different here, both from the students and from the principal. And if your child needs extra help in school like mine did due to a medically diagnosed learning disability, don't expect anyone to care. I spent three years trying to get my daughter help to no avail. As far as teachers go, like most public schools, there are some great ones, and then there are those who are so awful, that they should have never been given the privilege of being a teacher. It was so bad that I was SO HAPPY when the district redrew the maps and my younger children will be assigned to Jane Addams now instead of Eckstein.

Eckstein Middle School 3

Posted March 05, 2015
This is actually the first review section I've ever seen student input. Their hate for the school is almost as troubling as their grammar. Its sad you kids are having a hard time and hate it school. Please consider my advice. The reality is school isn't going to a positive experience for most, for me it was horrible. But this time in your life is meant to prepare you to be on your own. If you can have a good experience thats great, but that's not what really matters. Middle School and High School are only few years, but it sets the course for the rest of your VERY long life. If you do well you'll go on to a fulfilling life, if you do bad you won't, it's that simple. Don't let a bad social scene or teachers in school be the reason you stop caring about your grades or start hanging out with the wrong kids and get in trouble and ruin the rest of your life. Take advantage of this time to work hard on your grades, get the job done, graduate high school and get into a good college. Don't let the petty nonsense of kids and teachers over the next few years break you down so bad you ruin the rest of your life over it, stay strong kids. and most of all CARE

Posted February 02, 2015
EMS has been an Excellent school for our 6th grade son. Great teachers, and staff.

Posted November 15, 2014
Don't believe these negative reviews, Eckstein is a great school! There is a reason why Eckstein consistently has the highest standardized test scores in the area - because the academic expectations here are top notch. The school has really focused on more accurate grade reporting, so academic grades are based solely on assessments, and things like homework completion and student-behaviors are reported in effort and citizenship grades (which is different than what we had in school, but makes sense, right?). The music program is award winning and regularly recognized, and the electives go above and beyond for a middle school (computer programming for 7th and 8th graders!). But the teachers are the best part of this school. They post assignments/grades on the Source so that we can see them, and many have online blogs about what is going on in class. They care a great deal about kids! I would take the reviews written by students with a grain of salt. I have found that the teenage perception of school and the reality of it are often very different things...
5 people found this helpful

Eckstein Middle School 3

Posted August 29, 2014
its a nice school and nice teachers some are mean but some are nice teachers
5 people found this helpful

Posted May 11, 2014
I hate this school. I would cry atleast twice a week because of eckstein. you need to be in the "popular group" in order to fit in and not get bullied or gossiped about. plus 8th graders and 7th graders push you around and bully you. yes I am in the popular group but they do that to me. the 7th graders cuss at me and stuff it's annoying. Teachers are ok at the school but don't really help you. I use to have A's and B's to B's, C's and D's friends at this school can have a huge impact on you. They can change your grades by having a bad influence on you and get you into so much drama. I seriously I hate this school. Friends at this school can later on make you bad in high school making you maybe take drugs if your not smart. The principal barely doesn't care about anything. I could make a book about how bad eckstein is.
7 people found this helpful

Posted April 28, 2014
The instrumental music program at Eckstein, led by Mr. Escobedo, is the best in the West, judging by the high awards the Sr. Jazz Band received in Reno, Monterre and other festivals. I'm also applauding this because my grandson, a pianist, has benefitted from this music program. He is inspired to excellence in every area of his studies by other excellent teachers and a culture of achievement.
4 people found this helpful

Posted April 04, 2014
Coming from an eighth grader, i hate this school. The teachers here dont care about the students at all, the cafeteria food and staff are awefull, there is a fairly high amount of drug use by the student body, and EVERYTHING is standardized. In gym, we take tests and write notes, and in all of the other classes its just a barrage of tests, one after another. Most of the teachers at this school dont care about the students at all, and nothing is remotely interesting. I used to be a straight A student until this new curriculum started and everything became standardized . It is the worst taco place I have ever been to.
7 people found this helpful

Eckstein Middle School 4

Posted March 06, 2014
I'm surprised by all of the bad reviews! We have a current 7th grader and have had a very positive experience at Eckstein. She is involved in 2 different bands, school sports, advanced math and writing classes, takes a foreign language and comes home happy each afternoon. The teachers seem responsive, encouraging, and capable. We had an unfortunate incident with one of the PE teachers, but you can complete a PE waiver and skip it altogether. The school is very full, but I expect that there will be a bit more room next year, when half the school attends the new Jane Adams Middle School. Bottom line: I would recommend this school to a friend.
3 people found this helpful

Eckstein Middle School 2

Posted October 29, 2013
Female bullying is NOT taken seriously at this school. My daughter was tormented by a group of girls (who in previous years had gotten in trouble for this behavior) and when she finally had the courage to talk to principal Sherri Kokx she was told that it wasn't a school issue! The math program is a joke. Homework is only checked to see if it is complete and is never graded so students don't know if they are doing it correctly until quizzes/tests. Nothing besides tests are counted towards grades on report cards. I added 1 star as there are a handful of caring teachers which are really interested in the students and want them to succeed.
8 people found this helpful

Eckstein Middle School
3003 NE 75 St, Seattle, WA  98115
Last modified Eckstein Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eckstein Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top