Franklin High School

Public | 9-12 | 1302 students

Sweep tile

Posted June 5, 2013

Franklin High School is really amazing, the teachers are really nice, and I have learned so, much here. It's not a perfect school but it's really wonderful.

Posted March 21, 2012

Franklin has been an amazing experience. I can't sit back and read all the reviews written by angry students who do not take full advantage of Franklin's opportunities and do nothing about it. As a very involved senior in FHS, I can honestly say that I have liked if not loved every second at this school. You won't find a more interesting and friendly bunch of students anywhere else in Seattle. Contrary to what other students are say, I see no cliques. The lunch room is extremely diverse and students always find a friend to call their own. i will write more..

Posted March 21, 2012

Franklin is an excellent student. I am currently a senior at Franklin, and I love it. It is such a unique school because of the diversity of the student body, the amazing spirit that the students have, and the sense of family you feel when at the school. Many complain about freshman year and not being able to get involved, but that's just not true. Freshman have their own lunch where they are required to stay in the commons. At first I thought it was dumb, but that year "trapped" in the commons became one of the best memories about my freshman year. Our class got to bond and get to know each other really well. These bonds continue to build through all 4 years of high school. The teachers at Franklin are also really great. Sure, there is the occasional not so great teacher, but you'll find that at every school. The teachers, staff, and administration are always there to support each student really care about everyone. The education that you receive from Franklin is just like the top high schools, and every year, seniors get into some of the top colleges are always very prepared for college.

Posted March 3, 2011

I am both an alumni and a parent at Franklin. I must admit I had concerns when my son was assigned to Franklin. I did not know whether it was the same place I had loved when I attended 20 years ago. That said we have been extremely happy with the school. The students, teachers and staff have been exceptional and I truly feel that my son is getting a high quality education. He has participated in every possible activity and has had great experiences in all of them. The student body is diverse but has not seemed divided in our experiece. I am sure that there are issues as there are in every school but we have been very happy there.

Posted December 20, 2010

It's true that 9th graders don't have the opportunities to join clubs and other activities. I was assign to this school by the new school district system, and I have to say this place is awful. People smoke weed all the time, there are fights every week, people are extremely rude to the teachers, kids burn trash cans in the bathroom, they even break the windows, and because of that we had cancel tolo for 4 years straight already.

Posted October 12, 2010

My son graduated from Franklin with an education that rivaled that of all the other children in the family who went to high schools outside of Seattle. Franklin continues to provide an excellent education to students from all socio-economic and ethnic/racial groups.

Posted December 3, 2009

As a citizen of Seattle, Truly there is no better school than Franklin High out of the many fine teaching instiutions within this district. Schools such as Garfield, Ballard, Rainier Beach, and Cleveland cannot even compare to the unique social experience, academic excellence, and equal diversity that Franklin High has to offer. If you are in search of a High school that will transform your child into an academic scholar and civically engaged individual, without hesistation contact the school and enroll your student.

Posted August 6, 2009

as a student that attended franklin high school, i would have to say i wasn't very fond of franklin high school. there are a million cliques and you can't do much as a ninth grader (you can't even join clubs in 9th grade except for the selected few) the 9th graders are pretty much ignored! as far as the education, besides my core classes (science, language arts, and history) i didn't feel i was getting educated to my full potential, and that was even doing honors! and some teachers don't listen when you ask a question!

Posted December 17, 2008

Franklin High School has the best spirit and the students always take advantage of what this school has to offer. Franklin is the oldest school in Seattle and i never fail to mention that it is one of the most diverse and proud schools. Many programs reach out those typically not heard and many students grow to become well known leaders. Walk inside, you'll see biographies of Franklin Alumni. From Governor Locke, to Jason Terry.

Posted October 10, 2007

It's a great school to be at

Posted July 8, 2007

This school is terrible academically. Students have a tough time even getting into the University of Washington, and very few students are motivated to learn for the sake of learning. Pluses: lots of school spirit.

Posted September 29, 2006

this school is one of the best school in the district( at least in my view of point) eventhough i only attended there for 2weeks, i still wish i never transfered out. franklin's students have a lot of energy in them and the teachers are vrey encouragable. if i have a choice i would want to transfer back to franklin and i would recommended this school to any 8th graders looking for a good school to go to.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 21, 2005

The ideals are nice, but not inforced. Do to behavioral issues found in this environment, education tends to take a back seat. I would recommend going else where.

Posted June 28, 2004

I am a grad with a sibling at Franklin. The new administration seems better. Franklin had a couple of tough years under the old administration. Many quality faculty members left. That said, Franklin is a truly unique High School. There is an energy that exists there not found in any other high school. It is far and away the most diverse school in the city and unlike its rival, Garfield, diversity is somewhat realized in upper level honors and AP classes (there is still work to be done in this area). There remains a few gems in the faculty (Dr. Mintek is superb) and teachers are generally highly committed. The conselors, despite school district scrutiny, remain the most competent and committed leaders a school can expect to have. And it shows. This years graduating class won more scholarship money than any previous. I would reccomend Franklin to any prosepective student.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 23, 2003

Though there is a new administration this year, Franklin has deteriorated into a depressing, unspirited, place for students to be. Let us hope that the new leadership will make a change, though in a school it generally doesn't happen over night.
—Submitted by a teacher

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

305 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

189 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students65%

Limited English83%

All Students31%
Not special education31%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

291 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

330 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

323 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 11N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 70%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3013 South Mt Baker Bv